User Tag List

Thread: Indiana State Police...leading the way in drunkedness

President Peanut Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks

Indiana State Police...leading the way in drunkedness

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...ide-restaurant

Excuse the title of this thread. I didn't really have any ideas as to a good name. This article describes a two-year Trooper that was arrested for intoxication with a firearm, after he waived his firearm in a restaurant. I posted this for one reason: WTF? How is it the State of Indiana can pay an individual so much money and spend so much money training them, and then this happens? Yes, he is liable for his own actions. No, I don't believe all of the State Police act this way. However, he is facing internal charges for the incident. I question why policy does not state Trooper actions while off-duty. For instance, is it really unreasonable that State Police policy state that drinking while posessing a firearm is a violation of SOP? I have a concealed carry permit and pack anywhere I go. However, you won't find me drinking with a firearm. Why? Because I am a little smarter than that, regardless of what law says (I don't know if it is illegal to drink with a firearm in Indiana. I do know it is illegal to carry concealed inside of a bar, but this was a bar and grill, thus qualified as a "restaurant" and exempt from that particular law.). This is really yet another slam to Indiana law enforcement, as the IMPD Officer Ballard situation is still on-going.
    "The government can't give you anything that it hasn't stolen from someone else first."
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
    "If you've got them by the balls, their heart and mind will follow."
    - John Wayne

Alumni Member & VIP V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 50.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    When I first became a police officer, in 1966, the department's written policy was that a police officer would be armed at all times. I didn't drink and avoided parties where people were drinking but on the first Christmas I was told that attendance at the chief's Christmas party was realistically mandatory. My wife and I went. I watched drunken police officers practicing their fast draws and drunken police officers engaging in other inappropriate and embarrassing activities. I told the chief the next day that I respected him and his wife and would never attend another party. I also started lobbying for no firearms when intoxicated. The response from the drunks was to modify to policy to prohibit officers from getting drunk.

We did eventually make possession of a firearm when drinking or when intoxicated an offense under department policy. But, that rather begs the question of why so many police officers who see every work day the results of drinking are drunks.

Perhaps others here would be more qualified to respond to that than I am.

Banned Achievements:
    Social3 months registeredYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    I like cops. But then I am a sucker for strong men who can protect me.

President Peanut Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First Class50000 Experience Points1 year registered

Thanks
    I don't have a problem with police. I have a problem with the few that make 'em all look bad.
    "The government can't give you anything that it hasn't stolen from someone else first."
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
    "If you've got them by the balls, their heart and mind will follow."
    - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Perianne View Post
    I like cops. But then I am a sucker for strong men who can protect me.
    Then why do you like cops?

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Thanks
    Wooo Hooo! At least we are first in something. We used to be first in Venereal diseases until Chicago took that away.

Thread Information