User Tag List

Members banned from this thread: Network

Page 3 of 193 FirstFirst 123456789101353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Severe Weather Thread!

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Appreciated. It's a fun thread even if it doesn't get many replies.

It's going to be a good one. Alarms are going off all over the place here. We're under a severe thunder storm warning now.

Check this out. Looks angry! Getting the camera ready and hoping to be on the road on the next half hour.

Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    Mighty dark here near the CapitOl. Power just cut on and off 3 times.

Seems even the smallest storm cuts my power out sometimes.
    Crisis

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran

Thanks
    That storm blowed. I guess we got a weak side of it. Saw plenty of trees down and some other misc things that belonged on houses. Nearly saw an SUV taken out by a large oak tree on the highway (it was rush hour when I left). Nothing as good as when I left...I was still outside the car and the wind was blowing so damn hard the dirt was flying sideways. It must have been over 100 mph since the damn car was rocking and I had a hell of a time shutting the door. Other than that it was lame. My cell is dead so I couldn't even attempt to get a picture of the awesome wall cloud that passed over us.

Thanks
    I just now got power back after basically my last post in this thread.

I'm suing the state, the county, and the town.

And..I'm finally going to get a generator...knowing what's coming.
    Crisis

Banned Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Master TaggerArm of LawUser with most referrers
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Missed this. Did you guys get the Derecho? We had the black clouds, little wind and rain. We got it last June and i did NOT want to go thru that again.

What did you think? How much damage around you? And where exactly did it hit. Richmond and DC?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    Missed this. Did you guys get the Derecho? We had the black clouds, little wind and rain. We got it last June and i did NOT want to go thru that again.

What did you think? How much damage around you? And where exactly did it hit. Richmond and DC?

I don't know what the deal was, I've been woken up by excessively loud warnings on TV for like 2 weeks now. And today I lost power for 3+ hours when it only got dark here and wind blew hard for 10 mins.
    Crisis

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post

Yeah. It hit everywhere between DC and Raleigh pretty much. Not much damage really. Lots of trees and large branches down. Some some siding get ripped off the apartment complex nearby. Nothing even near what NWS was predicting though. The worst part was getting in my Xterra lol.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Illinois and Iowa is getting hit hard today by a bow echo super cell that formed in Nebraska yesterday. Several tornadoes are currently on the ground and damage reports are coming in. It's been reported that several tractor trailers have been flipped on the highways. Nothing to suggest these are large or very strong tornadoes though. More.

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    I have not updated my thread in a while because it seems all severe weather has all but halted. Yeah we've been getting some storms across the nation (lucky...we haven't gotten crap). However I haven't seen anything worth mentioning or blogging about. The only things going on is Tropical Storm Dorian is trekking the Atlantic and will probably hi the Carribean head on. We wont seem much however it might weaken and give Florida some trouble if it hooks North (although it'll probably just be a weak storm system by then). Invest 90L is interesting but only because it's forming practically in the Chesapeake bay and if it amounts to anything it'll likely go right through North Main into Canada and into Iceland. It'll miss the US completely except for the northern tips of Maine. Just nothing going on. How about you guys? Anyone take me any good pictures lately?

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    I haven't updated my thread in a good while due to being so busy. That and the weather hasn't been all that interesting lately. Hurricane season has been extremely...well...dull.

We have a few kinda of interesting things going on right now.

The Pacific (not that I pay attention to this strange side of the world) has Tropical Depression 12-E which is hardly a threat to the US at all. It's traveling up the west coast of Mexico and Tijuana right now. The computer models show that if it gets any stronger it could cut right through mexico and head North. It wont be that strong but it'll give Texas and New Mexico some good storms and it'll just weaken more and more from there. It's on moving at 30 mph. I just looked again after posting this and literally this has changed. Tropical Depression 12-E has been upgraded and named: Tropical Storm Lorena.

The Atlantic has Invest 98L and Invest 99L. Invest 98L is pretty far away and happens to be smack in the middle of the Atlantic although if it strengthens it could cross the distance fairly easily. It's about 5 mph away from being a tropical depression as it is so that one might be interesting to at least watch. The computer models show that if it strengthens it could head towards the East Coast (at least two predict it moving south to Brazil though) but it's also too early to trust the models. Invest 99L on the other hand isn't so interesting at all. It should be upgraded sometime today to a Tropical Depression by the NHC. It's presently sitting off the coast of southern mexico and will hit land before it strengthens much farther - it's just going to slice right through Mexico and probably hit Panama directly.

The real news maker lately is Tropical Depression Gabrielle which yesterday was upgraded to to a Tropical Storm and then downgraded again today. It's fairly unpredictable and it's only weakening because it's over land right now cutting a path right through Puerto Rico. Once it's back over open water it'll likely regain much if not more of it's strength from the warm water that surrounds that area of the Carribean. The models show it will move North so it'll have plenty of space to gain speed. Some of the models show it taking a course towards the East Coast and hitting maybe the region of Delaware/Pennsylvania. Most of the models however show it curving north east toward Bermuda however. Still it's the only one that's even a slight risk to the US right now and anything could change on it. Actually I'd imagine the big news will come on what it's doing once it gets away from Puerto Rico - I'm not sure if it'll get to Hurricane speeds but it'll probably at least get back to Tropical Storm speeds.

Last edited by Matt; 09-05-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Thread Information