User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WASP 121, a planet to scare the living daylights

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk! View Post
    Because the rain god is trying to cover up all those naked fuglies!!!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (11-23-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    How much of that is fact, and how much is theory? How in the world are they measuring the speed of winds on that thing?

At 1500K, or even higher, what state is "water" in? Can water vapor even exist at that temperature? At what temperature do the molecules break down?
    850 LIGHT YEARS FROM EARTH, and they know all that... right.
    It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. Mark ​Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Claws For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (11-24-2022)

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claws View Post
    850 LIGHT YEARS FROM EARTH, and they know all that... right.

You can calculate the size and orbit diameter just from observing the light dip as it solar transits, after that its basic planetary chemistry and meteorology .

Weather is weather no matter what planet you are on, it all obeys the same laws of physics. And we have a demonstration model, Jupiter, to check stuff against. Its no big thing.
    Last edited by UKSmartypants; 11-24-2022 at 06:38 AM.
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

RIP Science Forum
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

Leftists are scum Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 45.0%

Thanks
    Jupiter orbits the sun in 30 days? It has water? Sorry, I just don't buy it all. If I understand correctly one of the things they measured was color temperature. IMO, that's not enough to derive a whole lot from an object that far away.

Ain't Skeered Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialOverdriveTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 84.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    The universe is overwhelmingly CHAOTIC, not uniform or orderly as theistic apologists contend. Space is a vacuum, deadly radiation abounds, the VAST majority of planets are uninhabitable, not to mention there are things crashing into other things, stars dying out and being born, black holes inhaling reality and some sights we're beginning to see that don't even make sense to us yet.
    How much of the universe have you personally visited? Or are you happy being spoon fed theorized facts based on views from 850 light years away, that's nearly 80 billion miles? Heck we even know less about the deep oceans.no apology necessary.
    ​Montani Semper Liberi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    How much of the universe have you personally visited? Or are you happy being spoon fed theorized facts based on views from 850 light years away, that's nearly 80 billion miles? Heck we even know less about the deep oceans.no apology necessary.

You jaundiced view is entirely caused by your lack of knowledge of the science. We know the physics of planetary weather, we have 9 examples to study on our doorstep. And physics is physics the universe over. Its all just maths based on observation of whats round us. Its a case of if you knew anything about the science youd know these predictions arent far off, cos they are based on observing what goes on,. In the end all planetary weather is just fluid dynamics, a very well understood science, and physics is physics, the same all over the universe. So its perfectly easy to say "this planet , this size , orbiting this class of star, at this distance, will have these properties , and thus this sort of weather"
    Last edited by UKSmartypants; 11-24-2022 at 10:04 AM.
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

RIP Science Forum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk! View Post
    Jupiter orbits the sun in 30 days? It has water? Sorry, I just don't buy it all. If I understand correctly one of the things they measured was color temperature. IMO, that's not enough to derive a whole lot from an object that far away.
    ofc it is, you pass the transit light through a spectroscope and map the Fraunhoefer lines, and then subtract that from a spectrograph of the star with no transit occuring, that gives you the spectrograph of the planet, and that gives you a complete index of every element in the planets atmosphere, as well as other stuff like its temperature.. In this case its all down beyond the deep infrared, so thats why Webb can only see in infrared.The science and devices they use are far smarter and sophisticated than you clearly can imagine.. You already know the size and orbital period of the planet, and the class of the star by observation of the star transit. everything after that is fluid dynamics and known weather science. Theres nothing mysterious about it. Did you not click on as why all of a sudden after we launched Webb we are suddenly able to map out distant planetary atmospheres? Why do you think they spent $10b on it?

Webb has a specific instrument designed to do exactly this, called the Near Infrared Spectrograph (NIRSpec)

Near Infrared Spectrograph (NIRSpec) Instrument Webb/NASA
    Last edited by UKSmartypants; 11-24-2022 at 11:40 AM.

RIP Science Forum

Thread Information