User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off-Duty Vermont Deputy Shot by Cops in New York After Refusing To Drop Gun

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Since when did Vermont sheriffs start getting armed deputies? Well laws change so who knows. The Vermont deputy is in the wrong as he is illegally carrying a firearm in New York.
    For as long as they've had deputies.

Looking at the video the cops arriving on scene were in panic mode and made a host of mistakes including it appears shooting the woman bystander between them and the off duty officer.

They were also all yelling at the same time so they could not hear the OD announcing he was police from what I can tell.

The OD should have never pulled a gun to settle a dispute, really stupid and unlawful move. If he's also found to have been drinking he's facing a host of very serious charges that could be filed against him.

Never let emotions drive your decision to even flash, much less pull a gun and shoot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildrose For This Useful Post:

Camp (11-22-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    What do ya mean he was "Surrounded" his LIFE was "Threatened"..

Only reason why is New York wants to say we "bagged" a Gun-Nut Sheriff's for "Political" Points
    He was a willing participant in the fracas, that doesn't give him the right to use deadly force.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildrose For This Useful Post:

Camp (11-22-2022)

Out and About...! Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    Just what kind of Fracas has 3-4 against 1...?!?
    "‘We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!".

"Freedom is Never More than One Generation from Extinction... It Must Be Fought For, Protected and Handed On...
    WWJD...?!?

Out and About...! Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    Oooooooops, seems someone over-looked this :

"Commissioner Montagnino said one of the men in the other group slammed the off-duty deputy onto a car hood and the fight escalated from there.

Saratoga Springs Police Sergeant Paul Veitch said officers were on patrol in the area when they heard gunfire erupt a block away from them."...

More here : VIDEO: Off-Duty Vermont Deputy Shot Multiple Times By Police After Gunfight Outside New York Bar - The Police Tribune
    "‘We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!".

"Freedom is Never More than One Generation from Extinction... It Must Be Fought For, Protected and Handed On...
    WWJD...?!?

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    For as long as they've had deputies.

Looking at the video the cops arriving on scene were in panic mode and made a host of mistakes including it appears shooting the woman bystander between them and the off duty officer.

They were also all yelling at the same time so they could not hear the OD announcing he was police from what I can tell.

The OD should have never pulled a gun to settle a dispute, really stupid and unlawful move. If he's also found to have been drinking he's facing a host of very serious charges that could be filed against him.

Never let emotions drive your decision to even flash, much less pull a gun and shoot.
    You don't understand that sheriffs aren't like the western sheriffs. The sheriff is nothing more than jailer and process server. Most deputies are generally just honorary deputies. What deputies that are armed are for transporting prisoners otherwise they are not armed. I looked up the statute on this on the Vermont government web site and it hasn't changed much from when my Dad was a deputy in Vermont. My Dad was never armed and it was mostly just an honorary title.

When we lived in New York for a time my Dad's honorary title of deputy sheriff in Vermont had no affect there. You simple do not carry in New York or you will be shot, period.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (11-23-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    You don't understand that sheriffs aren't like the western sheriffs. The sheriff is nothing more than jailer and process server. Most deputies are generally just honorary deputies. What deputies that are armed are for transporting prisoners otherwise they are not armed. I looked up the statute on this on the Vermont government web site and it hasn't changed much from when my Dad was a deputy in Vermont. My Dad was never armed and it was mostly just an honorary title.

When we lived in New York for a time my Dad's honorary title of deputy sheriff in Vermont had no affect there. You simple do not carry in New York or you will be shot, period.
    The are all certified officers and carry. Serving papers is a high risk assignment because sometimes the people being served react violently.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    The are all certified officers and carry. Serving papers is a high risk assignment because sometimes the people being served react violently.
    Ah nope they don't by state statute. And even if he is armed in Vermont that doesn't cut water in New York. He's most likely going to prison if he survives.

Thread Information