Thread: KGO radio says goodbye ahead of format change

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks

KGO radio says goodbye ahead of format change

KGO radio says goodbye ahead of format change

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-17491675.php

KGO, among the last of the classic news talk call-in radio stations in San Francisco, announced a format change Thursday, after 80 years at 810 on the AM dial.

In a sign of the times reflecting whats widely considered to be the twilight of terrestrial talk radio, the announcement was issued on Twitter.

We thank you for your loyalty and for trusting KGO to be your source for information, the Tweet said. On Monday, 810AM begins a new era. We hope you will tune in.

Cumulus Media, which owns the station, declined to comment on what the new format would be. Well be announcing the exciting new brand coming to the Bay Area on Monday morning with a news release, said Cumulus spokesperson Lisa Dollinger.
    KGO has already killed off most of its local programming, starting a decade ago when most of the local hosts were dismissed. It shifted from news-talk to all news and foundered for years until 2019, when it attempted to regain its hold on the talk-radio format.
    While it took me a couple of years to learn of KGO, when I moved to Silicon Valley during Carter's MalAdministration, KGO was talk radio in the SF Bay Area. They had a well established format of news during commute times and a stable of well-established popular hosts in the remaining ~75% of the day. The hosts were mostly non-crazy mildly liberal, plus a crazy-racist liberal during late night hours, and a couple of strong conservatives during the weekends (e.g., Michael Savage got his start on KGO).

The liberal hosts being non-crazy and not obsessed/focused with/on politics I found it listenable (except for the late night crazy-racist). At one point in the late 80s, at the recommendation of one of its more extreme liberals who knew him, KGO had Rush Limbaugh do a substitute gig when a host with a one hour program took a vacation. That grew into playing an hour of Rush, live, every week day.

Fast-forwarding into the early-mid 90s, KGO's owner decided to switch another station it owned, KSFO, into a conservatalker and KGO's conservative hosts were moved over to KSFO, along with a few "new" conservative hosts (e.g. Starr Parker). I've been a KSFO listener since that time. After a few years (contract renewal time?), Rush moved over to KSFO, his full 3 hours.

KGO was off my radar screen until about 10 years ago, when Cumulus, in a move whose purpose and wisdom still eludes me, canned most of KGO's well established hosts, replaced them with a few newbie unknowns, and increased news programming. Some the older people were moved, briefly, to some obscure Cumulus station, but that fizzled. As best I can tell, KGO floundered for a decade or so, and now is dropping the talk format it practically invented.

Meanwhile, contrary to the SF Comical's "the twilight of terrestrial talk radio" crack, KSFO is flourishing, and Salem Communications moved its KTRB 860 to a conservatalk format five or more years ago. KTRB also seems to be doing reasonably well.
    Anti-Covid-Vaxxer pig crap claim/prediction, Doctor: Heart Failure from mRNA Jabs "Will Kill Most People" | Principia Scientific Intl. ; Dr. Geert Vanden Bossche Warns COVID-19 Jab Injuries and Deaths Will Soon "Collapse Our Health System" (VIDEO) ; Fully Vaxxed May 2021; Since that time I've done 10 5Ks, 1 8K, 8 10Ks, and 4 half marathons

Not Democommie nor Pharma-Shill nor even hacker. Just little old me, Traddles.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-07-2022),Foghorn (10-07-2022),Rutabaga (10-07-2022),ruthless terrier (10-07-2022),teeceetx (10-07-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    it went woke, then broke...its how things like this work...
    "The nose, knows"

"Negros were like animals and they turned the streets into jungles
    joe biden.

T
    rump again 2024
    Do it for your children.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-07-2022),Conservative Libertarian (10-07-2022),Foghorn (10-07-2022),teeceetx (10-07-2022)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 78.0%

Thanks
    ... A new WOKE format.

Destined to fail.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-07-2022),Conservative Libertarian (10-07-2022),FNguy (10-07-2022),Rutabaga (10-07-2022)

Thanks
    Adding slightly to the above, I ignored Err America's failed shit-show and Radio Pacifica's petty-kingdom-building soap opera. The station that tried Err America's programming may still be around, playing syndicated Progs' shows, but I don't think it's made much of a dent in the Bay Area's radio marketplace.
    Anti-Covid-Vaxxer pig crap claim/prediction, Doctor: Heart Failure from mRNA Jabs "Will Kill Most People" | Principia Scientific Intl. ; Dr. Geert Vanden Bossche Warns COVID-19 Jab Injuries and Deaths Will Soon "Collapse Our Health System" (VIDEO) ; Fully Vaxxed May 2021; Since that time I've done 10 5Ks, 1 8K, 8 10Ks, and 4 half marathons

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 78.0%

Thanks
    I listened to KGO for the 12 years I lived in the SF Bay area.

RIP KGO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to teeceetx For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-07-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teeceetx View Post
    ... A new WOKE format.

Destined to fail.
    If, as the Comical speculated, KGO tries a sports news & talk format, KNBR 680 has been doing that for several decades. KGO would be trying to gain a sliver of the audience of a well established station's audience.

Quote Originally Posted by teeceetx View Post
    I listened to KGO for the 12 years I lived in the SF Bay area.

RIP KGO.
    It's a mix of nostalgia and satisfaction for me. Back in the early-mid 80s on Gold Talk discussion forum there was an obnoxious Prog who mocked KSFO as insignificant compared to KGO. KGO is full 50 KW, omni-directional, while KSFO was, and may yet be, 1.5 KW, directional. Some 20 years later, it's KSFO that is flourishing, and KGO that has dropped its news-talk format.
    Last edited by Traddles; 10-07-2022 at 10:13 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (10-07-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    you know why liberal/lefty radio talk shows always tank?

because people listen to talk radio in their cars on their way to WORK.

and progs shun work.
    "The nose, knows"

"Negros were like animals and they turned the streets into jungles
    joe biden.

T
    rump again 2024
    Do it for your children.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-07-2022),teeceetx (10-07-2022),Traddles (10-07-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    Air America, a left-wing radio format on Sirius/XM also failed, but the conservative channels are still there.
    Last edited by APatriot; 10-07-2022 at 01:20 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APatriot For This Useful Post:

Brat (10-07-2022),Rutabaga (10-07-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    you know why liberal/lefty radio talk shows always tank?

because people listen to talk radio in their cars on their way to WORK.

and progs shun work.
    There have been times when listening to radio at work was OK, didn't interfere with my work and others'. But most of my talk radio listening time, for many years, has been during my morning and evening commute.

Quote Originally Posted by APatriot View Post
    Air America, a left-wing radio format on Serius/XM also failed, but the conservative channels are still there.
    That doesn't surprise me. IMO, the audience Err America imagined they would have was already listening to their favorite version of thumpa-wumpa or bland monotone music. IOW, Err America already had a well entrenched competition. Further, I tried listening to Err America a couple of times, putting the fact I would disagree with their POV on a "shelf", and I found it unlistenable. Maybe there are people who delight in hearing hate and mockery, but I'm not that way. I doubt that more than a moderate (or small) number of Progs like vapid content like that.

Looking at the big picture, Err America's "organizers" arrogantly and vastly underestimated and dismissed the intelligence and years of patience and hard work conservative hosts like Rush or Sean or Savage invested into developing their shows - on-air content and distribution. Err America's "organizers" stupidly and arrogantly imagined they could throw together a network and it would fly. Err America crashed and burned due to narrow-casted content and poorly thought out "organization".

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

APatriot (10-07-2022),Rutabaga (10-07-2022)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks
    Rush Limbaugh lasted over 30 years, Al Franken didn't make it 30 months.
    I am not joe biden and I both understand and approve this message

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

APatriot (10-07-2022),Brat (10-07-2022),Foghorn (10-07-2022),Rutabaga (10-07-2022)

Thread Information