User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing a foldable solar panel today.

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Well Bonded View Post
    With 60 watts a MPPT charger or any charger is not going to do much good for battery charging.

You really need to up the solar wattage a lot to make storage practical.
    Thanks for telling me what I need to do.

But...
    I have hundreds of watts of solar panels. In this thread however, I wrote about testing a portable 60 watt panel. And it's perfectly fine for charging a 40 Ah LiFePo4 battery pack. In the summer, a typical day will produce 27Ah and in the winter, 9 Ah.... at my latitude and location.

So the 40Ah battery pack can be completely recharged in a day and a half in the summer and about 4 days in the winter.

For the purposes I mentioned already, that is perfectly adequate.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 10-05-2022 at 04:10 PM.
    "There is simply no justification or provocation for Russiaís choice of war. Itís an example of one of the oldest of human impulses: using brute force and disinformation to satisfy a craving for absolute power and control."
    Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.
    26 March 2022

"Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic."
    01 September 2022

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Keep in mind if it is SHTF you will have no need to charge cellphones.

We had a three day power failure out here from Ian and cell service went out because their genset ran out of diesel.

Likewise landline communications which is required to backhaul cell sites will also go down.

Cellphones will become useless.

Thanks
    Still too small to be of any real use.
    Sure buddy.
    "There is simply no justification or provocation for Russiaís choice of war. Itís an example of one of the oldest of human impulses: using brute force and disinformation to satisfy a craving for absolute power and control."
    26 March 2022

"Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic."
    01 September 2022

Thanks
    Keep in mind if it is SHTF you will have no need to charge cellphones.

We had a three day power failure out here from Ian and cell service went out because their genset ran out of diesel.

Likewise landline communications which is required to backhaul cell sites will also go down.

Cellphones will become useless.
    Thanks.

I have no intention of using cellphones if SHTF.

Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 10-05-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    26 March 2022

01 September 2022

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Then why did you mention that?

Thanks
    Then why did you mention that?
    I didn't. You did.
    26 March 2022

01 September 2022

Thanks
    With 60 watts a MPPT charger or any charger is not going to do much good for battery charging.

You really need to up the solar wattage a lot to make storage practical.
    And as far as the utility of 60 watt solar panel. .... even in the winter when it takes 4 days to charge a 40Ah battery....

Every 4 days I can charge up a portable UV water sterilizer, 3 or 4 flashlights, and 3 extended battery packs for handheld GMRS radios. And those charges are good for any average 4 day period. And every day charge up a satellite text communicator. So tell me again how useless a portable 60 watt panel is.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 10-05-2022 at 05:11 PM.
    26 March 2022

01 September 2022

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Still too small to be of any real use.
    Wrong. The radio has a 2500ma battery. It is plenty useful and backpack portable. I plan to operate deep undercover with no vehicle support. To each their own. I choose to be a wraith.
    ďYou have the army of mediocrities followed by the multitude of fools. As the mediocrities and the fools always form the immense majority, it is impossible for them to elect an intelligent government.Ē
    Ė Guy de Maupassant

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Call_me_Ishmael (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    48 watts today. Still just eye-balled the solar panel. I know it's not optimum.

I think I calculated that 50 watts was the best i could hope for at this time and place.

Very pleased with that charge controller and the foldable panel. (Note that it is only for LiFePo4 because it would overcharge lead acid if you leave it on too long. )

Very useful data on this site
    Calculation of Solar Insolation | PVEducation

I read some reviews that expressed concern about draining the battery when the sun goes down. I can fold up the array right now and test that since I have my clamp meter out.

(A little later...)
    Hmmm. Inconclusive. My clamp meter jumps around on the least significant digit in the DC amps mode. It's a good meter FLIR CM83. I have another cheaper meter that does not have the precision as the FLIR meter so.... if there is any current bring pulled from the battery when it's dark, it is in the Milliamps.... somewhere between 0 and 10 Milliamps. So over a long dark night, you won't even lose a percent of the stored energy. Not my highest priority but I may have to get an old but sensitive in-line current meter to check it out.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 10-06-2022 at 02:33 PM.
    26 March 2022

01 September 2022

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    Wrong. The radio has a 2500ma battery. It is plenty useful and backpack portable. I plan to operate deep undercover with no vehicle support. To each their own. I choose to be a wraith.
    I support what you are doing..... your prepping activities. If there's anything I, as an engineer or as a prepper-lite (compared to you), can do to assist you, let me know.
    26 March 2022

01 September 2022

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (10-06-2022)

Thread Information