User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Forum Scientists What Do You Think Of This??????

Hybrid View

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks

Well Forum Scientists What Do You Think Of This??????

I like the idea of producing my own power inexpensively and being off the grid.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (10-01-2022),dinosaur (10-01-2022),Northern Rivers (10-01-2022),teeceetx (10-01-2022)

50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Really cool for off-grid, especially the stuff towards the end.

For National power grid, like the old lady said when she pee'ed in the sea; every little bit helps.

The EU looks to explode like the Wiemar Republic this winter as people freeze and go broke paying for fuel and power.

This shit is an affect of an affluent society.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (10-01-2022),Old Ridge Runner (10-01-2022),Quark (10-01-2022)

50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    Ya I think and have for awhile that off grid is the way to go. With each house, apartment buildings, sky scrapers, etc. producing it's own power and electricity huge power plants and power lines aren't needed.

I've seen on you tube videos of engineers attempting to make small efficient and cost efficient nuclear power plants for small communities. There are also videos of small nuclear power plants that can power steam turbine driven locomotives. Will stuff like that happen? Probably not in my lifetime but some time in the future maybe.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (10-01-2022),imaginethat (10-01-2022),Old Ridge Runner (10-01-2022),Sunsettommy (10-01-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 75.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Ya I think and have for awhile that off grid is the way to go. With each house, apartment buildings, sky scrapers, etc. producing it's own power and electricity huge power plants and power lines aren't needed.

I've seen on you tube videos of engineers attempting to make small efficient and cost efficient nuclear power plants for small communities. There are also videos of small nuclear power plants that can power steam turbine driven locomotives. Will stuff like that happen? Probably not in my lifetime but some time in the future maybe.
    I've heard of those modular nuclear reactors too. Great idea, some with a meltdown-safe construction. However, the problem of storing nuclear waste for hundreds of thousands of years remains.

But think about this Quark. Think of all the debt associated with fossil fuel generated electricity. How likely is it that new technologies will replace the status quo before the debt associated with the old technologies has been paid off?

Not likely at all. I hope you can agree.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
    I've heard of those modular nuclear reactors too. Great idea, some with a meltdown-safe construction. However, the problem of storing nuclear waste for hundreds of thousands of years remains.

But think about this Quark. Think of all the debt associated with fossil fuel generated electricity. How likely is it that new technologies will replace the status quo before the debt associated with the old technologies has been paid off?

Nope. Pelletised vitreous waste...like cat's eye marbles. That works. Not cheap...but...it works.
    Eh! What else can I say???

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks

We can REPROCESS the waste for more "burning" in the next modular reactor and it has been known to do this for 50 years already the problem is politics getting in the way.
    IPCC TAR Chapter 14 Page 773 Paragraph 14.2.2 Predictability in a Chaotic System

In climate research and modelling, we should recognise that we are dealing with a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore that the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

imaginethat (10-01-2022),Robert (10-01-2022)

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 75.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    We can REPROCESS the waste for more "burning" in the next modular reactor and it has been known to do this for 50 years already the problem is politics getting in the way.
    Sounds simple, but reprocessing nuclear waste is very messy and expensive.

Thorium is the best way to go, and breeder reactors, but like you said, "Politics."
    Last edited by imaginethat; 10-01-2022 at 12:47 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to imaginethat For This Useful Post:

Robert (10-01-2022)

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks

Thorium is the best way to go, and breeder reactors, but like you said, "Politics."
    They already process the waste anyway thus a change in the process REprocessing it could be done rather easily as France has done for a long time.

Thorium is a viable alternative, and they could easily use the partially completed plant at Hanford Washington as a test ground for it.
    IPCC TAR Chapter 14 Page 773 Paragraph 14.2.2 Predictability in a Chaotic System

In climate research and modelling, we should recognise that we are dealing with a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore that the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

imaginethat (10-01-2022),Robert (10-01-2022)

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks

Wer are a hairs breadth from Fusion, no one is going to spend money on thorium, nowadays
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that i'm perfectly happy the stuff i post is true. Do I care if you doubt my sources or information?, Not one flying fuck. . That's your prerogative, but not my concern.
    RIP Science Forum
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post

Rolls Royce are workign on a small nuke, and if anyone can do it , Rolls will.
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that i'm perfectly happy the stuff i post is true. Do I care if you doubt my sources or information?, Not one flying fuck. . That's your prerogative, but not my concern.
    RIP Science Forum
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Quark (10-01-2022)

Thread Information