User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Forum Scientists What Do You Think Of This??????

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    I have an artesian well. It will flow 50 feet per minute if I remove the cap. I have a two inch pipe with a valve. I have always wondered about some kind of electric turbine generator using the free water, but I haven't worked out the details. I have no idea how much electricity I could produce.

Probably easier to just do solar, but in an TEOTWAWKI scenario, my well is less attractive to thieves, although it might hasten my eviction.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
    I've heard of those modular nuclear reactors too. Great idea, some with a meltdown-safe construction. However, the problem of storing nuclear waste for hundreds of thousands of years remains.

But think about this Quark. Think of all the debt associated with fossil fuel generated electricity. How likely is it that new technologies will replace the status quo before the debt associated with the old technologies has been paid off?

Not likely at all. I hope you can agree.
    We can REPROCESS the waste for more "burning" in the next modular reactor and it has been known to do this for 50 years already the problem is politics getting in the way.
    IPCC TAR Chapter 14 Page 773 Paragraph 14.2.2 Predictability in a Chaotic System
    Ö
    In climate research and modelling, we should recognise that we are dealing with a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore that the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

imaginethat (10-01-2022),Robert (10-01-2022)

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsettommy View Post
    We can REPROCESS the waste for more "burning" in the next modular reactor and it has been known to do this for 50 years already the problem is politics getting in the way.
    Sounds simple, but reprocessing nuclear waste is very messy and expensive.

Thorium is the best way to go, and breeder reactors, but like you said, "Politics."
    Last edited by imaginethat; 10-01-2022 at 12:47 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to imaginethat For This Useful Post:

Robert (10-01-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    I have an artesian well. It will flow 50 feet per minute if I remove the cap. I have a two inch pipe with a valve. I have always wondered about some kind of electric turbine generator using the free water, but I haven't worked out the details. I have no idea how much electricity I could produce.

Probably easier to just do solar, but in an TEOTWAWKI scenario, my well is less attractive to thieves, although it might hasten my eviction.
    I think you need to know the pressure. Or if it can be made to flow down an incline, you could just do the mgh/s calculation.

That would be the upper limit on the power you could get. You could likely charge a useful deep cycle battery in a day or so.
    "There is simply no justification or provocation for Russiaís choice of war. Itís an example of one of the oldest of human impulses: using brute force and disinformation to satisfy a craving for absolute power and control."
    Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.
    26 March 2022

"Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic."
    Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.
    01 September 2022

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class

Thanks

Thorium is the best way to go, and breeder reactors, but like you said, "Politics."
    They already process the waste anyway thus a change in the process REprocessing it could be done rather easily as France has done for a long time.

Thorium is a viable alternative, and they could easily use the partially completed plant at Hanford Washington as a test ground for it.
    IPCC TAR Chapter 14 Page 773 Paragraph 14.2.2 Predictability in a Chaotic System
    Ö
    In climate research and modelling, we should recognise that we are dealing with a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore that the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

imaginethat (10-01-2022),Robert (10-01-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

Have you considered the inline generator for the pipeline?
    Ö

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunsettommy For This Useful Post:

Robert (10-01-2022)

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 89.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Ishmael View Post
    I have a 1000W vertical wind turbine (DARRIEUS / SAVONIUS hybrid) that I have yet to put together. I only expect to get a 100W average given my location and the installation I would apply. So maybe 2400 watthours on an average day. I put up an anemometer but don't have the connections and software to analyze it over time.

Regardless.... the other methods that the video mentioned that have no moving parts or the phallic vibrator generator ( AKA VORTEX INDUCED VIBRATION GENERATOR) are interesting.

I have no opinion on the use of wind for public utility electric generation but for a one-home source, I like the idea. People do have to understand the "one is none" maxim of peppers though. I am only partially prepped in that way for my wind power. I have extra electronics... rectifiers, power converters, etc. But the AC alternator... the most expensive part .... I have but one. And retired now with inflation and medical expenses it is unlikely that I'll have 2. I do have redundancy in solar panels though .... FWIW.

i suspect it uses the Coeander Affect, which James Dyson has exploited so successfully, comerically
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

RIP Science Forum
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 89.0%

Thanks

Wer are a hairs breadth from Fusion, no one is going to spend money on thorium, nowadays
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

RIP Science Forum
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Wer are a hairs breadth from Fusion, no one is going to spend money on thorium, nowadays
    We've been a hairsbreadth from fusion for ........................ most of my life.

Now the latest "almost there" boondoggle is going to the moon to get Helium-3. Yeah. Sure.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imaginethat For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (10-02-2022),Mr. Claws (10-02-2022),Sunsettommy (10-01-2022)

ADMIN IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 92.0%

Thanks
    /pfft

Still waiting for my jet pack. I've got tree limb that need cutting.
    This is a battle for the future of civilization. If free speech is lost even in America, tyranny is all that lies ahead. ó Elon Musk
    Isnít it interesting that these former Republican Never Trumpers, whose alleged beef with us is that we abandoned true conservatism, are now full-throated fellow travelers with cultural and economic Marxist Democrats who are on a monomaniacal mission to destroy this country? -David Limbaugh

Forum rules: HERE

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

Mr. Claws (10-02-2022)

Thread Information