User Tag List

Thread: Metamaterials

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 89.0%

Thanks

Metamaterials

I keep admonishing people on here for stupidly trying to declare things impossible. I point out its pointless, sice you dont know what new knowledge, what new science and technologies may be come possible in the future that make things that are impossible now possible in the future.

You could not have predicted any of out current household technology back in 1880. In 1880, in fact you could not even have predicted the moving picture. Progress, new methods, are all down to the discovery and obtaining of new knowledge. And its about to happen again, with Quantum metamaterials.

Vacuum tube electronics was revolutionized beyond recognition by the invention of the transistor, which lead to integrated circuits and miniaturization. Whereas devices in 1930 might have had 10 valves, a modern microprocessor has billions of transistors. And quantum metamaterials are about to do it again, because they work using photons of light and quantum entanglement. We are going to have valve to IC's all over again, and the resulting devices will be the size of a quantum dot and more powerful than an AI system today. Quantum metamaterials incorporate quantum coherent states in order to control and manipulate electromagnetic radiation. The possibilities of what we can do with them are breathtaking - e.g. faster than light communication across the universe (when someone actually gets there). M

Metamaterials are substances whose properties are determined not so much by the atoms they consist of, but by the atomsí structural arrangement. Each structure is hundreds of nanometers, and has its own set of properties that disappear when scientists try to separate the material into its components. That is why such a structure is called a meta-atom

There's just been a flood of research papers on this

https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.03757

Optica Publishing Group

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.1c07408

This is a whole new branch of materials science about to explode on us and shower us with the future. No one foresaw any use for lasers when they were invented in the 1930's, but lasers and the children of lasers, LED's, are in every device in your home
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

RIP Science Forum
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

JMWinPR (09-18-2022)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Community AwardMost Popular
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    I keep admonishing people on here for stupidly trying to declare things impossible. I point out its pointless, sice you dont know what new knowledge, what new science and technologies may be come possible in the future that make things that are impossible now possible in the future.

You could not have predicted any of out current household technology back in 1880. In 1880, in fact you could not even have predicted the moving picture. Progress, new methods, are all down to the discovery and obtaining of new knowledge. And its about to happen again, with Quantum metamaterials.

Vacuum tube electronics was revolutionized beyond recognition by the invention of the transistor, which lead to integrated circuits and miniaturization. Whereas devices in 1930 might have had 10 valves, a modern microprocessor has billions of transistors. And quantum metamaterials are about to do it again, because they work using photons of light and quantum entanglement. We are going to have valve to IC's all over again, and the resulting devices will be the size of a quantum dot and more powerful than an AI system today. Quantum metamaterials incorporate quantum coherent states in order to control and manipulate electromagnetic radiation. The possibilities of what we can do with them are breathtaking - e.g. faster than light communication across the universe (when someone actually gets there). M

Metamaterials are substances whose properties are determined not so much by the atoms they consist of, but by the atoms’ structural arrangement. Each structure is hundreds of nanometers, and has its own set of properties that disappear when scientists try to separate the material into its components. That is why such a structure is called a meta-atom

There's just been a flood of research papers on this

https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.03757

Optica Publishing Group

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.1c07408

This is a whole new branch of materials science about to explode on us and shower us with the future. No one foresaw any use for lasers when they were invented in the 1930's, but lasers and the children of lasers, LED's, are in every device in your home

I'm certain the surviving half billion Ultraelites will put them to good use.

Thread Information