User Tag List

Thread: Canning Season.

Ain't Skeered Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialOverdriveTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.3%

Thanks

Canning Season.

We gave up large scale gardening several years back.Now, we mostly just grow our own tomatoes. We found it is much cheaper to buy in bulk directly from producers at the end of season. You get more bang for your buck. Anyhow, I bought a bushel of Blue Lakes for $23.00. We canned 32 quarts. We can tomatoes, soup, broth.Heck we even can and freeze beef if we can get it from a local farmer. A half beef is usually more than enough meat for the winter. I think canning will be a lost art in a generation if it is not already.

I know some of you will say what about the joy of gardening? OK, I get it, but at our age it's kinda nice not to have to worry about weeds, critters, and the weather destroying my hard work.Frees me up for more important things like fishing, hunting and posting on internet forums...
    ​Montani Semper Liberi

Sometimes I think it's a sin when I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to East of the Beast For This Useful Post:

Big Bird (09-06-2022),Crusader (09-06-2022),dinosaur (09-06-2022),joji (09-13-2022),Physics Hunter (09-06-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    I enjoyed canning in years past, but now that I am older, I can buy green beans, peas, carrots, and tomatoes in cans for less than the cost of Ball jars alone. Growing my own is getting expensive if we buy plants, and extra work if we buy seeds. Even the cost of bulk buys from farmers is expensive and time consuming to can ourselves. We just stock up from the store.

We do have a fruit farm, so we do make preserves from our fruit, or blanche and freeze apples and quince. We freeze our blackberries and blueberries. Mayhaw jelly is good, and we also do persimmon preserves, the stuff you can't find in the stores or markets. We had a late hard freeze this year that really messed up the fruit production. Deer ate all our peaches, and possums got our grapes. Hopefully next year will be better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (09-06-2022)

V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialOverdriveTagger First Class

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    I enjoyed canning in years past, but now that I am older, I can buy green beans, peas, carrots, and tomatoes in cans for less than the cost of Ball jars alone. Growing my own is getting expensive if we buy plants, and extra work if we buy seeds. Even the cost of bulk buys from farmers is expensive and time consuming to can ourselves. We just stock up from the store.

We do have a fruit farm, so we do make preserves from our fruit, or blanche and freeze apples and quince. We freeze our blackberries and blueberries. Mayhaw jelly is good, and we also do persimmon preserves, the stuff you can't find in the stores or markets. We had a late hard freeze this year that really messed up the fruit production. Deer ate all our peaches, and possums got our grapes. Hopefully next year will be better.
    Never heard of Mayhaw jelly.....I know about persimmons, but not in preserves. They remind of dates when they are fully ripened.
    ​Montani Semper Liberi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to East of the Beast For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (09-06-2022)

Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Thanks
    I don't know why but when I saw this thread, this song came to mind. I thought I'd share.

Last edited by QuaseMarco; 09-06-2022 at 07:17 PM.
    Ultra-MAGA Deplorable
    DJT: "We will Clean out the festering rot and corruption of Washington DC"
    https://www.covidvaccinevictims.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to QuaseMarco For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (09-06-2022)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks

You should eat the deer! I for one love venison.

Possums...I don't know what you could do with them. Feed them to pigs? Pigs will eat anything, and everyone loves bacon.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    I started canning about 10 years ago, and they sell mega-tons of ball jars and lids 'round here. The art is not lost on these folk.

I need to find something to do with mild-to-hot peppers. I am growing them like crazy.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (09-07-2022)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Community AwardMost Popular
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Thanks
    I do mangos and sea grapes. Mangos are done. Sea grapes are just about ready

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JMWinPR For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (09-12-2022)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    You should eat the deer! I for one love venison.

Possums...I don't know what you could do with them. Feed them to pigs? Pigs will eat anything, and everyone loves bacon.
    Possums are best let to live.They kill snakes,eat ticks,fleas etc. Donít hate them because they are fugly.
    Last edited by East of the Beast; 09-12-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    ​Montani Semper Liberi

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks

Might want to run some strands of electric fence Dino,

I remember as a kid 60 years ago during canning season, sitting on our back porch with my mom. With a half-gallon Kerr jar between my legs and a 16" long x one-inch diameter wood dowel. It was my job to use the dowel to tamp down the cabbage, for our Winters sour kraut.
    Last edited by gregonejeep; 09-12-2022 at 08:12 AM.

Thread Information