Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    In 45ACP, the Colt Defender is nice. 22.5oz
    My short 19ll's are 5"

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    What do you mean by "Hard Ball", "Hard Cast Lead" or, "FMJ"?
    Hard ball is usually referring to FMJ.

50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark;[URL="tel:3141808"
    3141808[/URL]]Hard ball is usually referring to FMJ.
    I interpreted that as hard cast lead flatnose. Those do penetrate and take down big game. Used for SD on grizzlies even.

Differences Between 'Lead' & 'Hard Cast' Bullets

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=54
    Last edited by Big Dummy; 08-29-2022 at 12:41 AM.
    “You have the army of mediocrities followed by the multitude of fools. As the mediocrities and the fools always form the immense majority, it is impossible for them to elect an intelligent government.”
    – Guy de Maupassant

50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    My short 19ll's are 5"
    I am in no way a fan of short barrel handguns, but the Defender is just a work of art. For some reason, under 30 yards it hits anything that anyone aims it at. Just one of those "magic guns" of which I own a few.

After I bought that, I bought a gorgeous Kimber carry 1911, and the damn thing always patterned shooting high. Upon comparison, the dot on the front sight of the Kimber was too low. They are a quality outfit, and I am sure if I cared to ask them, they would have pointed out some alternative sighting approach... I just sold the damned thing.

I am with @old dog, even the carry 1911's find a way to drag the belt over the hipbones and are not fun to carry for long. A full size JMB masterpiece, loaded is pushing 3lbs
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    What do you mean by "Hard Ball", "Hard Cast Lead" or, "FMJ"?
    That might be some regional argon thing, where I am from and live Hard Ball is FMJ.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

FNguy (08-29-2022),Quark (09-22-2022),Wildrose (08-29-2022)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    I am in no way a fan of short barrel handguns, but the Defender is just a work of art. For some reason, under 30 yards it hits anything that anyone aims it at. Just one of those "magic guns" of which I own a few.

After I bought that, I bought a gorgeous Kimber carry 1911, and the damn thing always patterned shooting high. Upon comparison, the dot on the front sight of the Kimber was too low. They are a quality outfit, and I am sure if I cared to ask them, they would have pointed out some alternative sighting approach... I just sold the damned thing.

I am with @old dog, even the carry 1911's find a way to drag the belt over the hipbones and are not fun to carry for long. A full size JMB masterpiece, loaded is pushing 3lbs
    I've never had enough ass to really hold my pants up so when I started carrying 1911's and big revolvers I just started wearing heavy duty suspenders.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Have you ever tried these in a .40?

I've got some .40 federal "Punch" hollow points. 165 gr. I hope they work. I've got two .40s.

In Common Use Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Some people still EDC .45? I mean for competition specific purposes and as a range toy they are okay but otherwise makes no sense.

First, its too akward for EDC, where 9 mm suits the pourpose just fine and even better tbh. Second if in wild country, I wouldn't choose it as my side arm to back up something like a .45-70, I'd do a 10 mm. Much better ballistics.

Don't get me wrong, the .45 has an important place in firearm history, but so do a lot of other guns that are now dated. it's a 100+ year old design and we've come a long way.
    An Honest Libertarian Discussion Thread

"Anarchy is not a solution, not a system, not a club, not a church, not even an ideology. It is the natural order of human life: Voluntary, consensual relationships among humans without the greatest problem in all of history- the hallucination, the dystopian ideal that some humans should have the right to violently control their fellow man."

"Once you discover anarchism you cannot unsee the state for what it is: a fined tuned system of slavery.​"

Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedintheShed View Post
    Some people still EDC .45? I mean for competition specific purposes and as a range toy they are okay but otherwise makes no sense.

First, its too akward for EDC, where 9 mm suits the pourpose just fine and even better tbh. Second if in wild country, I wouldn't choose it as my side arm to back up something like a .45-70, I'd do a 10 mm. Much better ballistics.

Don't get me wrong, the .45 has an important place in firearm history, but so do a lot of other guns that are now dated. it's a 100+ year old design and we've come a long way.
    I haven't carried a 1911 for EDC in some time, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry a commander with 230 gr. JHP's. In fact, I did so for a few years. I have two 10mm pistols, one being another commander that I'd be ok with back country carry. The G20 is kind of big, but has a higher capacity. Then there's the 1911 in 9mm which is a joy to shoot. I wouldn't dismiss the 1911 in any way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

TedintheShed (09-07-2022)

In Common Use Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    I haven't carried a 1911 for EDC in some time, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry a commander with 230 gr. JHP's. In fact, I did so for a few years. I have two 10mm pistols, one being another commander that I'd be ok with back country carry. The G20 is kind of big, but has a higher capacity. Then there's the 1911 in 9mm which is a joy to shoot. I wouldn't dismiss the 1911 in any way.
    If you want to carry a 1911 format for the ergonomics, a 10 mm is a ballistically superior round to the .45. But if you don't care about the ergonomics, then the Glock Model 20 or Model 40 (long slide give a bit more accuracy) and is a better choice, and and improvement over them is is the Sig P320 X10.

For EDC, a 9 mm just makes a lot more sense. My Sig P365 can carry 12-17 rounds (if I went with the max). Size and limited ammo capacity aside I would not trust a stock mid-low grade 1911 in an EDC situation. More reliable modded ones or something like a Dan Wesson would be okay though.
    An Honest Libertarian Discussion Thread

"Anarchy is not a solution, not a system, not a club, not a church, not even an ideology. It is the natural order of human life: Voluntary, consensual relationships among humans without the greatest problem in all of history- the hallucination, the dystopian ideal that some humans should have the right to violently control their fellow man."

"Once you discover anarchism you cannot unsee the state for what it is: a fined tuned system of slavery.​"

Thread Information