User Tag List

Thread: Prepping: reverse osmosis (RO) alternative

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks

Smile Prepping: reverse osmosis (RO) alternative

I've written about water during a TEOTWAWKI scenario... or even shorter term emergency where clean water that is safe to drink becomes difficult to obtain. I want to elaborate a bit on reverse osmosis and alternatives if RO is not suitable. I won't completely write my thoughts because there are alot of its, ands, and butts as well as capabilities I have that don't enter into this post.

The best water that I can obtain is - as far as elimination of pathogens and heavy metals go - is from reverse osmosis. Distillation may be good too but I didn't invest in distillation because of the fuel it would require to heat large quantities of water. So for me, RO is the best..... but only in some circumstances.

TEOTWAWKI can come in many variations. If dirty water is plentiful, my preference would be to use RO. Why? Because the RO process produces a gallon of pure water while expelling several gallons of the same water that was put into the system. Maybe that water can be used for some purposes but I'm going to call it "waste water" in this context. So if I can go down to the river and bring up 30 gallons of river water to get 8 gallons of drinking water, I might do that. If I can pump up large quantities of questionable water from a well... i will use RO. But if that is not feasible, then what?

I will use a large gravity filter. Pour the dirty water in and let clean water dribble out over the course of a day. How clean? I'm convinced it's clean enough to be safe...... but.... I like having additional mitigation against getting sick from some pathogen that gets into the water. So... I will use a low throughput ultraviolet sterilizer after the gravity filter does its job. The UV only works if the water is not turbid. So the filtering is still an important step. I purchased UV sterilizers that run at 6 watts with throughput of 1/2 gallon per minute because I believe I can get sufficient battery power from solar/wind to run them as long as necessary.

Fallback positions would involve use of chlorox followed by activated carbon filters to get rid of the chlorine taste. Or I also have glass by glass UV sterilizers (e.g. Steripen) which might not be as efficient but are portable.

Simple post... my alternative to RO.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 08-21-2022 at 11:38 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Common (08-21-2022),dinosaur (08-21-2022),JMWinPR (08-21-2022)

Super Moderator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    May I ask where you are that you have to do that to get clean water.
    !!!!!!!!!! LETS GO BRANDON !!!!!!!!!!
    F Joe Biden

Pork Eating Infidel Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 88.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    If you don't have a well you are at the mercy of your utility company. Luckily I have a 10,000 gallon above ground pool for emergencies.
    Don't bitch, call and send a postcard to your Congresscritter, EVERY DAY.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I live in Tioga County, upstate NY.

Did I not put the post in context with my first sentence where I mention TEOTWAWKI.....The end of the world as we know it... a catchall phrase for whatever devastating craziness political upheaval or nature run-amuck can throw at us.

I will not assume that under an intentional or natural catastrophe that clean safe water is as accessible as it is today.

That's kinda what prepping means to me. Any linear combination of shortage with these variables spells trouble.

- fuel for vehicles
    - fuel for generators
    - accessible safe drinking water
    - accessible nutritional food
    - accessible medical resources
    - the electric grid
    - protection from bandits/killers

And certainly some other things ... for example... tools to build and repair structures that are critical.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 08-21-2022 at 01:28 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

old dog (08-21-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    If you don't have a well you are at the mercy of your utility company. Luckily I have a 10,000 gallon above ground pool for emergencies.
    I live within walking distance of the Susquehanna River. I don't have a pool.

Furthermore... you will have plenty of water to flush your toilets but the chemicals in your pool water may make it not suitable for consumption unless you can filter them out.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 08-21-2022 at 01:26 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (08-21-2022),Northern Rivers (08-22-2022),old dog (08-21-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 50.0%

Thanks
    I have an artesian well. It is the best water anywhere! I worry more about development and lowering of the Florida aquifer than I do about the end of the world. I figure I am good, IF I can stay on my property.

If I am forced off my property, for any reason, then I need to worry about it. I figure, at that point in time, all of my prep is out the window. Shelter, food, water, tools, etc., all of it will be inaccessible to me. The camping and hiking style purifiers, or chlorine tabs, would be the way I would have to go short term.

Hopefully, short term is just long enough to plan a counter offensive to get back into my preferred shelter. I figure I will either succeed, or I won't be needing water anymore. In that vein, one of my first tasks, immediately at the start of the end, is to hide some necessary things in the woods for use in case of eviction. Those things would have to be portable and easy to use. More of a bug in kit rather than a bug out kit.

My general thought about a "bug out" kit is that if you bug out, you will soon have to bug out again, and you only die on the run away from home. Every attack will trigger a fight or flight response, hopefully correctly judging the chances of success. But always, the goal will be to return to home base.

We all know how war works. And we have all seen Mad Max movies. My expectation is waves of marauders, arrive, pillage, leave. If the marauders are too much and overwhelming, I best just abandon and hide in the woods off their pathway until they move to the next house to rape and pillage there. That is why I have edible landscaping. In the event of loss of stored food goods, I have more goods ripening soon. And a fishing pole.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (08-22-2022)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    I have an artesian well. It is the best water anywhere! I worry more about development and lowering of the Florida aquifer than I do about the end of the world. I figure I am good, IF I can stay on my property.

If I am forced off my property, for any reason, then I need to worry about it. I figure, at that point in time, all of my prep is out the window. Shelter, food, water, tools, etc., all of it will be inaccessible to me. The camping and hiking style purifiers, or chlorine tabs, would be the way I would have to go short term.

Hopefully, short term is just long enough to plan a counter offensive to get back into my preferred shelter. I figure I will either succeed, or I won't be needing water anymore. In that vein, one of my first tasks, immediately at the start of the end, is to hide some necessary things in the woods for use in case of eviction. Those things would have to be portable and easy to use. More of a bug in kit rather than a bug out kit.

My general thought about a "bug out" kit is that if you bug out, you will soon have to bug out again, and you only die on the run away from home. Every attack will trigger a fight or flight response, hopefully correctly judging the chances of success. But always, the goal will be to return to home base.

We all know how war works. And we have all seen Mad Max movies. My expectation is waves of marauders, arrive, pillage, leave. If the marauders are too much and overwhelming, I best just abandon and hide in the woods off their pathway until they move to the next house to rape and pillage there. That is why I have edible landscaping. In the event of loss of stored food goods, I have more goods ripening soon. And a fishing pole.
    I lived on a 45' schooner for almost 5 years. Had my firstborn on it for the last two years. At sea...you are always a prepper. Look at a good ship chandlery catalogue for things...way better than any camping depot or surplus store. Hey...you can even get a radar set with a proximity alarm for intruders...miles away!
    If ya don't play every day...ya sound like it. If ya do play everyday...ya sound like that, too. Play twice a day and you'll get twice as good. Life is like that, wherever ya look, isn't it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (08-22-2022)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Ishmael View Post
    I live within walking distance of the Susquehanna River. I don't have a pool.

Furthermore... you will have plenty of water to flush your toilets but the chemicals in your pool water may make it not suitable for consumption unless you can filter them out.
    If ya don't play every day...ya sound like it. If ya do play everyday...ya sound like that, too. Play twice a day and you'll get twice as good. Life is like that, wherever ya look, isn't it!

Thread Information