User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Survival food

Alumni, Moderator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteranYour first Group
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    Add some bulk fat, think lard. Watch a season of "Alone" if you do not understand why.
    Peaked my interest, and that is a good point. I've watched a couple of episodes of Alone or shows like that.

This link is to lard. It can be frozen, and up to 2 years if you freeze it while in it's original packaging with no air getting at it etc.

https://www.supperforasteal.com/how-...oes-lard-last/
    DuckDuckGo is a leftist, Soros sponsored and financial contributor to the collective left. They are the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. They present themselves as an option away from the corrupt Google, when in fact...they are only a contrived option that really just gives money, and takes money from our ideological enemies. Qwant appears to be an option. Spread the word.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianeye For This Useful Post:

Physics Hunter (07-14-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadianeye View Post
    Peaked my interest, and that is a good point. I've watched a couple of episodes of Alone or shows like that.

This link is to lard. It can be frozen, and up to 2 years if you freeze it while in it's original packaging with no air getting at it etc.

https://www.supperforasteal.com/how-...oes-lard-last/
    Yeah... lard is a good fat to store... from what I read its shelf life is as good as any fat. I probably need to throw some in the freezer.

Instead, I have somewhere between 10-30% of necessary fats just part of the meat/fish that I keep for protein.... especially the canned fish. Then I originally had lots of nuts and nut butter but partly to rotate so they don't get rancid and partly to save money on today's inflationary food prices, I've been digging into them. Mostly I had gallons of olive oil. Kept cool and dark, it lasted a year past its "best buy" date but it needs rotated too. Got gallons of corn oil too but i heard its not so good for you. I dont know.. Then for variety, I got about 5 or 6 lbs of cocoa butter. I also have about 10 lbs of New Zealand's Red Feather brand butter in a can. It's a long shelf life product and I guess the way it stays good is by packing it with absolutely no oxygen. Then I have some blocks of refrigerated cheese that I regularly rotate as well as several sticks of hard salami, which is high in fat. Finally, although I never tried it, I have cans of freeze dried cheese and freeze dried butter... with long shelf life.

So I think if you had to run out quickly and buy some fats for storage, lard is a good bet. But in SHTF/TEOTWAWKI scenarios, the variety of other fats will be welcome.

The big question is ... how much do you need? That depends on the kind of diet you want to have. The values I've read about range from 50 grams a day to 200 grams a day. So it takes some research to know how much you need. If you take the average of those numbers and figure you are going to depend on something like lard to provide the fat, that would be 125 grams per person per day. For a couple, obviously that's 250 grams per day or a kilogram per 4 days. One hundred and 80 days would be 45 kg or about 100 lb. That's a hard number to meet unless you've done some planning.

FWIW.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 07-14-2022 at 02:07 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (07-14-2022),Physics Hunter (07-14-2022)

Thanks
    PS.... I prefer olive oil but the price of everything now suggests I go canola oil.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (07-15-2022)

V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteranYour first Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Ishmael View Post
    PS.... I prefer olive oil but the price of everything now suggests I go canola oil.
    Really tempted to get some of that canned bacon. It isn't as expensive as it seems, since the can holds about of the 3 standard plastic wrapped store bacon...but it has a 10 year life in the can.

Last edited by Canadianeye; 07-15-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    DuckDuckGo is a leftist, Soros sponsored and financial contributor to the collective left. They are the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. They present themselves as an option away from the corrupt Google, when in fact...they are only a contrived option that really just gives money, and takes money from our ideological enemies. Qwant appears to be an option. Spread the word.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadianeye View Post
    Really tempted to get some of that canned bacon. It isn't as expensive as it seems, since the can holds about of the 3 standard plastic wrapped store bacon...but it has a 10 year life in the can.

Here's why I didn't. All of my prepping stores are shelf stable because I don't want to rely on the grid being up for refrigeration. Once you open that can, you gotta eat it all pretty quickly or refrigerate it. I will have limited electric power for refrigeration.

I guess my SO and I could eat it all up in a day or so but ..... whoo....lots of sodium. Maybe we could share with others. Well... whatever. It looks good but I have a little bacon jerky. Shelf life is only a year but .... that's what I got.

But I've looked at that can of Yoders on Amazon many times.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 07-15-2022 at 10:27 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Canadianeye (07-15-2022)

V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Here's why I didn't. All of my prepping stores are shelf stable because I don't want to rely on the grid being up for refrigeration. Once you open that can, you gotta eat it all pretty quickly or refrigerate it. I will have limited electric power for refrigeration.

I guess my SO and I could eat it all up in a day or so but ..... whoo....lots of sodium. Maybe we could share with others. Well... whatever. It looks good but I have a little bacon jerky. Shelf life is only a year but .... that's what I got.

But I've looked at that can of Yoders on Amazon many times.
    I'm gonna pick some up, since I'm planning on power enough to generate a fridge/freezer. Certainly can't hurt, and my objective is long term, long shelf life for a SHTF scenario.

Short term I'll look into more from what you are talking about. That seems wise.

I hit my 30K mark with cash, even before half of Canada went dark a week or two ago when Rogers/Internet/Phones/Banking went down. My daughter was getting a bit panicky, asking me about safes and needing to have cash stashed etc. I'm like don't worry about that. You just have to have enough cash to get to me. Safes are easy to pry up and most of them are easy to drop and pop open.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianeye For This Useful Post:

Call_me_Ishmael (07-15-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 87.0%

Thanks
    Caveat empty.

Yeah.... alot of it is empty of protein. Some people only need 50 grams of protein a day. Hard workers need 2 or 3 times that much.

The "delicious" complete meals seem to advertise calories. Yeah... you need those. But you won't be worth shit if you aren't getting protein.... complete protein with the essential amino acids.

I see advertisements pulling all the marketing strings .... patriot, survivalist, family, yada yada yada. Find out the amount of protein in grams. Divide by 50 and you will get the maximum number of days you can remain nutritionally fed.... for one person.

The following applies to shelf stable food that does not require refrigeration or freezing.
    Protein costs money. I measure the cost of protein in "cost per 10 grams of protein". Plant protein runs well under a dollar per 10 grams. Dry nonfat milk.... equally low priced. Dried eggs .... more. Then meat .... you can get some canned meat like canned corned beef for under a dollar per 10 grams. But it goes up from there. Even sardines are more than that. I have been willing to pay significantly more if I'm buying long shelf life too. But since you need a minimum of 50 grams a day per person, it gets pricy to stock up all at once for 6-12 months for a few people. I arbitrary decided to use a rule of 50% protein from plants and 50% from animal products ( meat, milk, cheese, eggs... all shelf stable forms). And I have complete protein mix ( like beans plus wheat/rice) or products like quinoa and buckwheat whose protein is already "complete"... containing the essential amino acids.

So ... do what seems right for your situation but I'm just saying that these prepared meals that are being advertised may be shortchanging you on protein.
    A lot of good information, and you're spot on. Protein keeps ya strong and alive. I've got freeze-dried eggs, chicken milk, cheese. Lots of wheat berries, good to sprout for "greens," sweet and tasty too. Dried beans and rice. Polenta. Oats. Like you, buckwheat, which makes THE BEST pancakes.

Oil, sugar, salt, baking powder, yeast, various flours, salt, oil. And, I hope the SHTF in winter, because we have a stuffed deep freeze, elk, venison, beef, pork, chicken, fish, nuts. Lotsa canned goods, canned fish, vegetables and fruits, teas, coffee, tobacco, fruit preserves, lentils, millet, tons of pasta.

Water purification filter and tablets. Fuel. Campstove. Firewood for the wood stove, matches and lighters, concentrated castile soap. OTC medicines, alcohol, cortisone cream, antiseptics, sunblock, bandages, toilet paper. Vinegar. Knife sharpener. A smattering of food seeds. Ammo.

We could eat for about a year on what we have.

Thread Information