User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car battery with possible dead cell

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crcook84 View Post
    We have a car that, because we don't drive it around that much, we leave it on a trickle charger we got from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-64284.html

We've kept it plugged into that charger for over a year when we're not driving it. Never had a problem. Recently, I had trouble turning it over. I checked the battery and it was showing 11v. I checked the trickle charger and our multi-meter reads 14v coming off of it.

As far as it being on the trickle charger that caused it to fail, there's another vehicle that we've had a trickle charger on it since 2018 and that battery has kept going. At this point, I'm thinking one of the cells in the battery in the other car has gone bad.
    Yeah, natural for lead acid batteries to grow little stalactites of Lead from Anode to Cathode (or is it the other way? ), then that cell arcs out and the battery essentially loses 1.5V.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    I have a lot of vehicles with batteries, over 20, and consider the Battery Tender (a trickle charger for motorcycles) a money saving miracle.
    Over off season for whatever vehicle I rotate the 'Tender around to the vehicles that mostly sit, moving them (I own several) every 5-7 days, and now most batteries last 5-10 years.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

crcook84 (05-19-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    We've kept it plugged into that charger for over a year when we're not driving it.
    I really do not know but I think you can't just plug a battery into a trickle for a whole year and expect it to be completely okay. Maybe every two months or so it needs a stronger full charge. Leaving it that long if it's not fully charged can lead to permanent damage, perhaps especially in colder weather.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kazenatsu For This Useful Post:

crcook84 (05-19-2022)

50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I am not a mechanic but if the car won't start I'd tend to believe the 11.
    But why not just run the car every few days like we sometimes do in the winter?
    Yep. My big CUMMINS gensets need to be run through not more than once a week. Since I'm going away for about two months...I'm hoping my boys will keep on it.

Batteries vary on a production line, from one to the other. It's probably the case...

Life without dogs is like life without music....

50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    battery is weak...replace

trickle charging, otherwise known as a maintainer, is not the problem in this case. If the battery was good the maintainer would keep it at or above 13.5.

Sacred heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death...AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    ​For the sake of his sorrowful Passion....have mercy on us and on the whole world

running down a dream V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kazenatsu View Post
    you can't just plug a battery into a trickle for a whole year and expect it to be completely okay. Maybe every two months or so it needs a stronger full charge. Leaving it that long if it's not fully charged can lead to permanent damage, perhaps especially in colder weather.

it's called sulfating. the lead gets coated with the sulfate and no longer holds a charge. not fixable.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something .. sometime in your life.

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    We have a car that, because we don't drive it around that much, we leave it on a trickle charger we got from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...ger-64284.html

We've kept it plugged into that charger for over a year when we're not driving it. Never had a problem. Recently, I had trouble turning it over. I checked the battery and it was showing 11v. I checked the trickle charger and our multi-meter reads 14v coming off of it.

As far as it being on the trickle charger that caused it to fail, there's another vehicle that we've had a trickle charger on it since 2018 and that battery has kept going. At this point, I'm thinking one of the cells in the battery in the other car has gone bad.
    Cheap trickle chargers can kill a battery.
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

The Democratic Party. The party of the STUPIDS, for the STUPIDS, by the STUPIDS.

جعل أمريكا كبيره مره أخرى
    I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    Upon opening it up, it looks like a number of the cells needed topping off anyways. I've topped them off and we'll see in a few hours how well the charger brings the battery back to 12v. Furthermore, I was fortunate that Walmart had one more of these in stock:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...ottle/14964974

Made it much easier to drip the distilled water into the battery. Furthermore, I can't help but wonder if providence played a part in one bottle being left on the shelf.
    Last edited by crcook84; 05-19-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Thanks
    Upon opening it up, it looks like a number of the cells needed topping off anyways. I've topped them off and we'll see in a few hours how well the charger brings the battery back to 12v. Furthermore, I was fortunate that Walmart had one more of these in stock:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...ottle/14964974

Made it much easier to drip the distilled water into the battery. Furthermore, I can't help but wonder if providence played a part in one bottle being left on the shelf.
    Here is a shock for you. If you suspect a certain cell is bad, dip your little finger in the cell. Just get a tiny bit on your finger. Taste it. If the cell is good the acid taste will let you know immediately. If the cell is bad the liquid will taste like water. Not good water, but not acid. OR put a load on the battery (BLOW IT CLEAR OF ANY AIR AROUND IT,,, HYDROGEN) then look in each cell. The one bubbling under load is bad
    Last edited by Dan40; 05-19-2022 at 06:43 PM.
    #BlackLIESMatter---Martin Luther King Jr. was a REPUBLICAN!

The Democratic Party. The party of the STUPIDS, for the STUPIDS, by the STUPIDS.

جعل أمريكا كبيره مره أخرى
    I VOTED FOR THE PRESIDENT!

Political Correctness is HATE SPEECH!

THE GREATEST DANGER TO THE USA IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks
    I found a video on YouTube in which someone was using a clamp meter to see what type of amperage was going through their battery. He said that a sulfated battery will read .1 amps on the clamp meter if there is sufficient sulfate on the cells. My clamp reading was 4.4 amps. So, at this point, things seem to indicate that the cells have not sulfated.

Edit: I, finally, found the date of manufacturing on the battery. It was stamped into the plastic. So, it was hard to see. The date is 2016. That means it's between 6-7 years old.
    Last edited by crcook84; 05-19-2022 at 11:58 PM.

Thread Information