User Tag List

Thread: Benefits of "sparring".

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks

Benefits of "sparring".

Long ago, I put pads on my hands and feet, (as well as a cup and mouthguard.) And took place in an activity called "sparring". I was told that this was not meant to be a contest, but rather a "mutual learning experience". I very quickly learned...A trained fighter could easily kick my ass...... The nuances of feints, combinations, closing the gap in deceptive ways etc.. can only be fully appreciated by practicing "sparring". (This can can be done safely if learning is the primary objective.) After a few years of "sparring", I gained the ability to completely dominate a new student when "sparring". I then understood that it was indeed a "mutual learning experience".
    Last edited by Ill-informed; 05-13-2022 at 06:12 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ill-informed For This Useful Post:

Quark (05-13-2022)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    In Kung Fu and Taekwondo we did three different forms of sparring
    One step
    Three step
    Short timed sessions

All were light contact to the body for the guys, and very light for most of the women/girls.

It really did help to put things into kinetic practice and to help the people that had not been in physical altercations previously.
    I liked it for learning how to make new techniques effective.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks
    I'm afraid my "sparring" as a kid and young man were a bit more on the full contact side, couple of times not "empty handed" either... yeah, I came up rough, and by the grace of God didn't end up like many of my contemporaries from our side of the tracks, underground or under lock and key.
    It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. Mark ​Twain

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialTagger Second ClassOverdrive

Thanks
    At 65 I learned that a lot more people can kick my ass than when I was 25. Never was much of a puncher or fighter. I was a wrestler, and a good one, so my game was always ground and pound. If I got you on the ground I put the odds in my favor. Now I don't have the stamina or strength it would take to subdue a superior foe.....So, I learned to keep my distance from a threat and carry an equalizer.
    Last edited by East of the Beast; 05-14-2022 at 07:22 AM.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 32.0%

Thanks
    Sparring is a training concept and not meant to be a real fight. It is very common for people, not experienced or with no boxing training, to up-grade sparring to a punch-up because of their ego.
    I have sparred with much bigger, weight-lifting types who think they are tough so they underestimate me (a humble person) and start to dish out loads of power punches - its called milling - little do they know they are about to get a PROPER POWER punch, just to reset them.

“The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.” – Aristotle

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialTagger Second ClassOverdrive

Thanks
    Underestimating your opponent is a fundamental mistake. I learned that the toughest guys are almost never the biggest ones.
    Last edited by East of the Beast; 05-14-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Thread Information