User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Shortages?

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 26.0%

Thanks

Why Shortages?

I watched a video a few days ago but didn't mark it. I feel dumb not marking it to post here. It was a truck driver explaining why there were shortages, from his point of view & what created them. He explained that at the beginning of the pandemic Trump had signed some wavers for truckers. Basically he said that a truck driver can drive 11 hours a day, that's his full working day. Let's say he pulls up at 7am to pick up a load. Normally he's on his way pretty quickly (time is money). But now there's a shortage of everybody in the chain & that of course includes the people that load his truck. So instead of an hour of sitting he's sitting 4 or 5 hours (sometimes 7 or 8) before being loaded. Under Trump those sitting hours were break hours & not counted toward his 11 hours. Now they aren't break hours & his working day is cut way down.

He said that at ports those waits were even longer & a driver might only get to drive an hour or two before having to stop. And that is happening everywhere. So because of the pandemic, people being paid to stay at home, shortage of truckers & truckers not being able to drive the whole 11 hours the country is experiencing shortages.

I thought that made a lot of sense. What do you think? And if anyone sees that video please post it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (01-24-2022),Lone Gunman (01-24-2022),Mainecoons (01-24-2022),Quark (01-24-2022),Rutabaga (01-24-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Tex View Post
    I watched a video a few days ago but didn't mark it. I feel dumb not marking it to post here. It was a truck driver explaining why there were shortages, from his point of view & what created them. He explained that at the beginning of the pandemic Trump had signed some wavers for truckers. Basically he said that a truck driver can drive 11 hours a day, that's his full working day. Let's say he pulls up at 7am to pick up a load. Normally he's on his way pretty quickly (time is money). But now there's a shortage of everybody in the chain & that of course includes the people that load his truck. So instead of an hour of sitting he's sitting 4 or 5 hours (sometimes 7 or 8) before being loaded. Under Trump those sitting hours were break hours & not counted toward his 11 hours. Now they aren't break hours & his working day is cut way down.

He said that at ports those waits were even longer & a driver might only get to drive an hour or two before having to stop. And that is happening everywhere. So because of the pandemic, people being paid to stay at home, shortage of truckers & truckers not being able to drive the whole 11 hours the country is experiencing shortages.

I thought that made a lot of sense. What do you think? And if anyone sees that video please post it.
    Manufactured crisis.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." ~ Miss Clara
    Burgermeister Meisterburger: This is outrageous! Toys! Toys everywhere! What sort of criminal is this Kringle, sneaking into houses at night? I hereby decree that all the town's doors and windows be locked tight against this prowler!
    Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (01-24-2022),Quark (01-24-2022),Rutabaga (01-24-2022),TheOneOnly2 (01-24-2022)

50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 75.0%

Thanks
    It makes a lot of sense. Also the push for so-called self-driving trucks is making a lot of kids who would pursue truck driving as a career think twice about doing so.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (01-24-2022),Rutabaga (01-24-2022),ruthless terrier (01-25-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post
    Manufactured crisis.
    That's a fact Jack! What with vaccine mandates and mask mandates it's amazing anything is moving.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (01-24-2022),Lone Gunman (01-24-2022),Rutabaga (01-24-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    That's a fact Jack! What with vaccine mandates and mask mandates it's amazing anything is moving.
    Well the leftist transgenders in schools need their condoms delivered somehow.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." ~ Miss Clara
    Burgermeister Meisterburger: This is outrageous! Toys! Toys everywhere! What sort of criminal is this Kringle, sneaking into houses at night? I hereby decree that all the town's doors and windows be locked tight against this prowler!
    Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Mr. Claws (01-24-2022),Quark (01-24-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 55.0%

Thanks
    Blame it on the Motor Industry. But not for the reasons you think/

50 years ago it all worked becsue ther was plenty of material stocks in the system, and plenty of manpower.

The motor industry devised the idea of Just-In-Time manufacturing, ie instead of holding a stock of 5000 widgets to help make your New super Binim, which lasted you a week, you get 1000 delivered every day, one day ahead of when you need them. Thats more efficient for your business, because you arent spending money on stock thats then sits on a shelf. And soon, everyone operated on Just-In-Time

However it relies on the entire machine of the economy to work in perfect harmony, EVERYTHING turning up at the right moment. And the pandemic really shafted that.

Because of the pandemic, businesses closed down, including factories, and staff got laid off and sacked. All the spare stock got sucked out the system.

Soon as it all started to fire up, its fucked up. There no stock to circulate, so no one can make much of anything, because supply cant now keep up with demand, because everyone is screaming for the same stock. But there no lorry drivers to take it, or warehouse men to pack the lorries, or unload the lorries, or stack the shelves. Just-In-Time is irreparably broken, and it will take a year or two to get everything working in synch again.
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

RIP Science Forum
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Mainecoons (01-24-2022),Quark (01-24-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points3 months registered

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post

50 years ago it all worked becsue ther was plenty of material stocks in the system, and plenty of manpower.

The motor industry devised the idea of Just-In-Time manufacturing, ie instead of holding a stock of 5000 widgets to help make your New super Binim, which lasted you a week, you get 1000 delivered every day, one day ahead of when you need them. Thats more efficient for your business, because you arent spending money on stock thats then sits on a shelf. And soon, everyone operated on Just-In-Time

However it relies on the entire machine of the economy to work in perfect harmony, EVERYTHING turning up at the right moment. And the pandemic really shafted that.

Because of the pandemic, businesses closed down, including factories, and staff got laid off and sacked. All the spare stock got sucked out the system.

Soon as it all started to fire up, its fucked up. There no stock to circulate, so no one can make much of anything, because supply cant now keep up with demand, because everyone is screaming for the same stock. But there no lorry drivers to take it, or warehouse men to pack the lorries, or unload the lorries, or stack the shelves. Just-In-Time is irreparably broken, and it will take a year or two to get everything working in synch again.
    Not if Befuddled Joe and the Democrats have anything to do with it.
    It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. Mark ​Twain

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Claws For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (01-24-2022),Quark (01-24-2022),Rutabaga (01-24-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    it happened on bidens watch...its his fault...

good for the goose, good for the gander...
    "The nose, knows"

"Negros were like animals and they turned the streets into jungles”
    joe biden.

T
    rump again 2024
    Do it for your children.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (01-24-2022),Mainecoons (01-24-2022),Old Tex (01-24-2022),Quark (01-24-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post

That's a fact Jack! BTW: @UKSmartypants why do you Brits call trucks lorries?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (01-24-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    That's a fact Jack! BTW: @UKSmartypants why do you Brits call trucks lorries?
    or trunks, boots or hoods, bonnets or aluminum alieuminim or vitamins vittamins or when you call somebody on the phone you ring them or why people close to you are called "our" hyacinth etc.
    why are so many front doors use a pull instead of a knob...etc.

"The nose, knows"

"Negros were like animals and they turned the streets into jungles”
    joe biden.

T
    rump again 2024
    Do it for your children.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Quark (01-25-2022)

Thread Information