User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smart Guns

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    If mandated they will get people killed. Band-Aid or dirt on your fingerprint finger or low battery that can't read the chip implanted in your hand, they will never be 100% reliable.
    "If your friends ask you to negotiate with your enemy, then the traitors have already agreed behind your back." Al Capone
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to old dog For This Useful Post:

Milt (01-15-2022)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    I'm cautiously relieved that no actual gun manufacturer is on-board with this. From the article:

The system from entrepreneur Tom Holland's company SmartGunz uses RFID chips—similar to the emitters many people use in their car to pay tolls—installed inside rings.

When shooters grip the gun with the hand wearing the special ring, a safety mechanism unlocks, allowing the gun to fire.

Holland sees applications in protecting police officers who could have their pistol wrestled away by a suspect; or parents worried their kids could find their firearm.
    I wonder how strong a magnetic field it would take to disable the RFID chip and/or the "special ring" and turn that $500-$1500 gun into a $500-$1500 paperweight.

How many here have had problems with a ring due to weight gain or loss? Or just temporary swelling/shrinkage? About 11 months ago I fractured a metacarpal adjacent to a ring finger, and had to have the ring cut off. I suspect that such fractures are fairly common among runners, roller-bladers, bicyclists, and skateboarders (and possibly other common activities I didn't think of). I suspect re-sizing and such are not compatible with this "gun-safety" magic ring (One ring to bind them all and defenseless make them).

I knew at such a young age where my Dad's long guns were stored that the long guns were longer than I was tall. OTOH, my Dad had a .38 Special revolver that I never knew about until he was in his 80s ... it was in a super-special hiding place ... his desk drawer. It wasn't loaded when I found it, and when I was young enough to be ignorant enough to "play" with it, I wouldn't have been able to figure out how to load it. I know a non-zero number of kids do do sadly stupid things, but that's a failure of parenting, not a defect with the gun.
    Populists' Big Guys vs. Little Guys rhetoric is emotive rationalization about who plunders and who is plundered.

Laughable prediction, Doctor: Heart Failure from mRNA Jabs “Will Kill Most People” | Principia Scientific Intl. ; Fully Vaxxed May 2021; Viva CallSJ "5K" (actually 3.26 miles), 9/19/21, 51:19; ZombieRunner Halloween 10K, 10/31/21, 1:49:30; ZombieRunner Quarry Lakes half marathon, 4:19:07, 12/12/21

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Milt (01-15-2022)

50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    If mandated they will get people killed. Band-Aid or dirt on your fingerprint finger or low battery that can't read the chip implanted in your hand, they will never be 100% reliable.
    Neither are safeties or people so there is that.

Whats interesting to me following up on @El Gaupo post is that one user thing. Growing up we had plenty of guns in the house. However we had some interesting times as my dad was a. CPS (child protective services) worker. Occasionally he had threats against the family where he couldn’t be there 24/7. We all knew about guns and safety, but I am curious how many of smart guns will or can be programmed for multiple people. There’s definitely reasons why they need to be, which also opens the up for everything Listed in his post.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Milt For This Useful Post:

old dog (01-15-2022)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post

Whats interesting to me following up on @El Gaupo post is that one user thing. Growing up we had plenty of guns in the house. However we had some interesting times as my dad was a. CPS (child protective services) worker. Occasionally he had threats against the family where he couldn’t be there 24/7. We all knew about guns and safety, but I am curious how many of smart guns will or can be programmed for multiple people. There’s definitely reasons why they need to be, which also opens the up for everything Listed in his post.
    Excellent point! Had an intruder tried to attack my family on my Dad's farm, my Dad's 12-gauge double-barrel wouldn't care if my Dad shot it or I did (whether my Mom might have tried, I don't know ... but neither would an attacker facing its barrel end).
    Populists' Big Guys vs. Little Guys rhetoric is emotive rationalization about who plunders and who is plundered.

Laughable prediction, Doctor: Heart Failure from mRNA Jabs “Will Kill Most People” | Principia Scientific Intl. ; Fully Vaxxed May 2021; Viva CallSJ "5K" (actually 3.26 miles), 9/19/21, 51:19; ZombieRunner Halloween 10K, 10/31/21, 1:49:30; ZombieRunner Quarry Lakes half marathon, 4:19:07, 12/12/21

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Traddles For This Useful Post:

Milt (01-15-2022)

Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post

Absolutely. You want your wife or RESPONSIBLE & TRAINED child to have access to home defense weapons.
    "If your friends ask you to negotiate with your enemy, then the traitors have already agreed behind your back." Al Capone
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to old dog For This Useful Post:

Milt (01-15-2022)

50000 Experience Points31 days registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    The best safety devices are proper training. Be it gun use or just storage because you have small children not yet ready to learn gun safety.

All these devices do is make it a bit more difficult for a user to pull the trigger. I applaud some of it, because we do have ignorant parents that leave guns out and a child not yet capable of understanding can be a victim. If a person really is set of ending their life… they will find a way. It’s kind of a universal rule that’s been there forever.

Thread Information