User Tag List

Thread: BIG TECH IS BREAKING!

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 51.0%

Thanks

BIG TECH IS BREAKING!

Apple has officially launched a new self-service program that will allow users to repair their Apple products should they chose to. The significance of this is the fact that the FTC under....Joe Biden (believe me, I don't like eating crow anymore than anyone else) finished a report stating that all the fearmongering manufacturers have been trying to scare consumer with in regards to product repair is unfounded. As such, they are going to roll out with some new rules in regards to product repair that is pro 'Right to Repair'. This will be of benefit to the consumer product field, medical field, agricultural field, military equipment, and anywhere else manufacturers are attempting to suppress ease of product reparability.

Shortly after this, Apple announced their Self-Service Repair programs where customers can order parts for their Apple products to attempt a repair themselves.

Technically, this can void the warranty. However, if even a mother like Jessa Jones can start repairing Apple products and get her own business off the ground, this can be doable as long as you're careful.

But, what's most interesting is the fact that Apple caved in so quickly after the FTC released their findings. We're not sure exactly why. But, process of elimination brings up an interesting conclusion. Apple has been dealing with lawsuits for probably hte last 5 to 10 years. One of the more interesting ones has to do with a situation in Australia where phones where iPhones were suddenly coming up with some sort of 404 error. Apple told their customers that they would just have to buy a new phone to replace it. However, 6 months after that, customers who kept their old phones suddenly realized that their phones were working again. Apparently, the issue had to do with customers having a hardware replacement done of their iPhones. I don't know if it was third-party or their did it themselves. But, apple sent out an update which fixed the 404 error and made it so that the replacement hardware would work with the phones. After word got out, Apple had a major anti-trust lawsuit where they, basically, lied to their customers telling them that their phone were broken when all that was needed was to send out a patch. That means there were customers who bought an additional phone to their "broken" phone or exchanged the phone thinking they wouldn't get their data back.

As such, because Apple attempting to fight this FTC ruling would make their situation look like this:

Their best bet was to get ahead of the curb and try to make it up to their customers by offering to sell parts for their Apple devices.

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    I dont understand this American obsession wih so-called right to repair. If you repair then your warranty is done. Fair enough. So if warranty is still done if you choose yo repair yourself then what changed? Such a weird poliical issue. And people outside of Texas care about it? Its so weird.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 33.0%

Thanks
    What it comes down to is they will stop supporting firmware sooner than they have. Essentially bricking the older devices as new ones come out. The Apple 3 in my drawer worked fine when I put it there. Just now there is no firmware updates and no carrier that will activate it.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual… as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of. — Representative Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Alumni V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    What it comes down to is they will stop supporting firmware sooner than they have. Essentially bricking the older devices as new ones come out. The Apple 3 in my drawer worked fine when I put it there. Just now there is no firmware updates and no carrier that will activate it.
    I miss my Blackberry.
    #NEVERAPOLOGIZE

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenvoter For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (01-19-2022)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crcook84 View Post
    Apple has officially launched a new self-service program that will allow users to repair their Apple products should they chose to. The significance of this is the fact that the FTC under....Joe Biden (believe me, I don't like eating crow anymore than anyone else) finished a report stating that all the fearmongering manufacturers have been trying to scare consumer with in regards to product repair is unfounded. As such, they are going to roll out with some new rules in regards to product repair that is pro 'Right to Repair'. This will be of benefit to the consumer product field, medical field, agricultural field, military equipment, and anywhere else manufacturers are attempting to suppress ease of product reparability.

Shortly after this, Apple announced their Self-Service Repair programs where customers can order parts for their Apple products to attempt a repair themselves.

Technically, this can void the warranty. However, if even a mother like Jessa Jones can start repairing Apple products and get her own business off the ground, this can be doable as long as you're careful.

But, what's most interesting is the fact that Apple caved in so quickly after the FTC released their findings. We're not sure exactly why. But, process of elimination brings up an interesting conclusion. Apple has been dealing with lawsuits for probably hte last 5 to 10 years. One of the more interesting ones has to do with a situation in Australia where phones where iPhones were suddenly coming up with some sort of 404 error. Apple told their customers that they would just have to buy a new phone to replace it. However, 6 months after that, customers who kept their old phones suddenly realized that their phones were working again. Apparently, the issue had to do with customers having a hardware replacement done of their iPhones. I don't know if it was third-party or their did it themselves. But, apple sent out an update which fixed the 404 error and made it so that the replacement hardware would work with the phones. After word got out, Apple had a major anti-trust lawsuit where they, basically, lied to their customers telling them that their phone were broken when all that was needed was to send out a patch. That means there were customers who bought an additional phone to their "broken" phone or exchanged the phone thinking they wouldn't get their data back.

As such, because Apple attempting to fight this FTC ruling would make their situation look like this:

Their best bet was to get ahead of the curb and try to make it up to their customers by offering to sell parts for their Apple devices.
    Well, on rare occasion the gov't screws up in reverse and gets one right.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Planned obsolescence eventually bit the American Auto industry in the butt in the '80s, and it is rampant in the tech industry which crosses strongly now with the Auto industry (increasingly with electric vehicles).

This instant obsolete culture is bound to crash, with it's JIT supply chain that is in a current state of collapse.

My favorite note of this is that most phone ads these days are about the cameras in the phone and not about its phone or even internet properties.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

Thread Information