User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Long Range Shooting With The 30-30....

  1. #1
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 55.0%

    Quark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    39,382
    Thanks
    84,005
    Thanked: 41,610
    Rep Power
    21474882

    Long Range Shooting With The 30-30....

    at targets you can't even see and hitting them. Braille shooting at it's best.


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

    Camp (01-14-2022)

  3. #2
    Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    MedicineBow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Rockies
    Posts
    4,756
    Thanks
    5,733
    Thanked: 7,765
    Rep Power
    21474847
    Really like the .30-30. My Marlin just isn't very accurate. Still might consider a Henry. 30-30. The Hornady Leverevolution ammo in the Marlin just isn't accurate enough for me to do any longer range hunting.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 50.0%

    Mr. Claws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Appalachia
    Posts
    622
    Thanks
    1,950
    Thanked: 1,251
    Rep Power
    1503255
    How times change... when I was a spring chicken we bragged about how CLOSE we stalked to our quarry, now it's how FAR away it was when the caps popped.
    It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. Mark ​Twain

  5. #4
    Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    MedicineBow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Rockies
    Posts
    4,756
    Thanks
    5,733
    Thanked: 7,765
    Rep Power
    21474847
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claws View Post
    How times change... when I was a spring chicken we bragged about how CLOSE we stalked to our quarry, now it's how FAR away it was when the caps popped.
    The majority of my hunts are bow hunts. Nothing like game at very close yardage. That being said, I will antelope hunt in wide open country. This is where I want a flat shooting rifle. Yeah, closer is better.

    In my case the .30-30 is inadequate for my type of gun hunting. Long range for my gun would be about 150 yards or so. Hitting plates at long range is one thing, animals are another. My last bow kill was 10 yards. Now that is exciting.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

    Quark (01-14-2022)

  7. #5
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    fmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    260
    Thanked: 2,067
    Rep Power
    1169568
    I sold my Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30 several years ago. Big mistake. I miss it.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to fmw For This Useful Post:

    MedicineBow (01-14-2022)

  9. #6
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 55.0%

    Quark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    39,382
    Thanks
    84,005
    Thanked: 41,610
    Rep Power
    21474882
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    The majority of my hunts are bow hunts. Nothing like game at very close yardage. That being said, I will antelope hunt in wide open country. This is where I want a flat shooting rifle. Yeah, closer is better.

    In my case the .30-30 is inadequate for my type of gun hunting. Long range for my gun would be about 150 yards or so. Hitting plates at long range is one thing, animals are another. My last bow kill was 10 yards. Now that is exciting.
    Yup hunting and long range gong hitting is two different disciplines. A fun gun, if money is not much of a problem, is a modern 1885 action in 30-30 with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. If one reloads than a 30-30 Ackley Improved would add any where's from a 100 to 200 FPS in velocity. Throw in spitzer bullets and let the fun begin.

  10. #7
    Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 13.0%

    MedicineBow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Rockies
    Posts
    4,756
    Thanks
    5,733
    Thanked: 7,765
    Rep Power
    21474847
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Yup hunting and long range gong hitting is two different disciplines. A fun gun, if money is not much of a problem, is a modern 1885 action in 30-30 with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. If one reloads than a 30-30 Ackley Improved would add any where's from a 100 to 200 FPS in velocity. Throw in spitzer bullets and let the fun begin.
    I was rather disappointed in the Marlin and Hornady Leverevolution ammo. There are others besides the Marlin. Perhaps I'll get into reloading the .30-30 and make my own Leverevolution type rounds. That powder is available infrequently and I don't want 8 pounds of it unless I could get it to work a whole lot better.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

    Quark (01-15-2022)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •