User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: is this church Christian? Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church Atlanta GA

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Unfortunately there are denominations that preach just that. Nobody gets into Heaven but them, according to "them".
    From a purely intellectual standpoint, I can understand their position--those who have not correctly followed the Plan of Salvation are not really Christians--but I do find this view rather sanctimonious, and therefore offensive.

Note: In the mid-nineteenth century, in America, there was actually a serious debate, in theological circles, as to whether having Jesus in one's heart or correctly following the Plan of Salvation was more important, as concerning the matter of obtaining salvation. (The split continues today.)
    Last edited by pjohns; 01-14-2022 at 04:08 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (01-18-2022),Quark (01-14-2022),Wildrose (01-14-2022)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I would say that a "real" Christian is a serious follower of the teachings of Jesus, and the New Testament writers.

Does that seem reasonable to you?
    I think it's all silliness and "real" Christians are anyone who wants to be. Garner Ted Armstrong was big on the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament although he was a bit hung up on Revelations. Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, Peter Popoff, and Al Sharpton, Christians all. Embrace them.
    Last edited by patrickt; 01-14-2022 at 04:57 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Quark (01-14-2022)

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    ^ none of those men you mentioned are not above reproach.... and all of them live in open sin to this day.
    Bring out your dead- The monster is amongst us waiting to be revealed - he bears the number of a man, 666. His Title is Anti-Christ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yeuemmaimai For This Useful Post:

pjohns (01-15-2022)

Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I think it's all silliness and "real" Christians are anyone who wants to be.
    I would say that "real" Christians are those people who follow closely in the footsteps of Jesus--not merely those who can get TV pulpits, and vociferously spout platitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    Garner Ted Armstrong was big on the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament although he was a bit hung up on Revelations. Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Bakker, Peter Popoff, and Al Sharpton, Christians all. Embrace them.
    I am not at all familiar with Peter Popoff.

As for the others, they were happy to line their own pockets, using Christianity as a tool.

(In fact, some even proclaimed the "prosperity gospel"; why, the more money that people gave to them, the more they would be blessed, monetarily, by God.)

It is hardly a new thing--or even a twentieth-century (or later) thing--for unscrupulous people to be using Christianity to scam others.

Oh, it is really a small thing; but I do become a bit annoyed whenever someone refers to the final book of the New Testament as "Revelations." There is simply no such book. (That is because it has no "S" on the end.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (01-18-2022)

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I would say that a "real" Christian is a serious follower of the teachings of Jesus, and the New Testament writers.

Does that seem reasonable to you?

Maybe. I would say a real Christian is one who follows Jesus & has a continual growing relationship with Him. Part that includes His Word which are effectively a kind of Will/Testament. The Old & New Testament. And someone who imitates Jesus, does what He commissioned us to do. Though there is forgiveness when we miss the mark. And we do miss the mark.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." ~ Miss Clara
    Burgermeister Meisterburger: This is outrageous! Toys! Toys everywhere! What sort of criminal is this Kringle, sneaking into houses at night? I hereby decree that all the town's doors and windows be locked tight against this prowler!
    Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    “But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,”Titus 3:4-5
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." ~ Miss Clara
    Burgermeister Meisterburger: This is outrageous! Toys! Toys everywhere! What sort of criminal is this Kringle, sneaking into houses at night? I hereby decree that all the town's doors and windows be locked tight against this prowler!
    Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

Thread Information