User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason behind the 3/5ths compromise

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks

Reason behind the 3/5ths compromise

I saw a comment on a conservative video in regards to the 3/5ths compromise. I wasn't sure how true it was. So, I'm posting it to see if I can get a congruent source on this info.
    The thing about the 3/5s compromise is that the south confederates wanted their slaves to count as a full person towards the census allowing the southern states to have more seats in the house. If this happened then the southern states would have such a large number of congressmen in the house that they could solidify slavery as a constitutional right. The union, wanting slaves to be free and be considered American citizens would have fell on their own sword if the confederates had their way. So to get around this, the 3/5s compromise was made. This way the union could have slaves count as people in the census (granted as 3/5s a person) without giving the confederates enough of a bump in the house to make slavery into constitutional law.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crcook84 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Felix Birdbiter (01-06-2022),Northern Rivers (01-06-2022),Quark (01-06-2022)

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 89.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crcook84 View Post
    I saw a comment on a conservative video in regards to the 3/5ths compromise. I wasn't sure how true it was. So, I'm posting it to see if I can get a congruent source on this info.
    The compromise was agreed to because without it the 13 original states would have been more like the 5 or 6 states making up the union.

Southerners were worried and rightfully so that northern abolitionists would destroy their entire way of life.

By the time of the founding the North was already becoming more dependent on industrialization and less dependent on agriculture which was heavily dependent on slavery.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildrose For This Useful Post:

Northern Rivers (01-06-2022)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crcook84 View Post
    That's about the size of it plus to appropriate how much money each state owned the federal government.

I might also add that without the 3/5ths compromise the South would have been under represented. The South was more rural and had a lower population than the North.

We need something like that today. The Blue States and cities votes is reduced so that the Blue States and cities are more in line with the rural vote. Never happen of course but it would make sense.
    Last edited by Quark; 01-06-2022 at 10:07 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

Dr. Felix Birdbiter (01-06-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    That's about the size of it plus to appropriate how much money each state owned the federal government.

I might also add that without the 3/5ths compromise the South would have been under represented. The South was more rural and had a lower population than the North.

We need something like that today. The Blue States and cities votes is reduced so that the Blue States and cities are more in line with the rural vote. Never happen of course but it would make sense.
    Most states I think already have this in their bicameral legislatures similar to the US Senate with a fixed number of senators in the State Legislature and house seats that grow with the population.
    Last edited by Wildrose; 01-06-2022 at 10:17 PM.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entry1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Overall activity: 19.0%

Thanks
    I had an office assistant who was black bring this up one day.

I told her it was a good thing and she looked at me like I was from Mars.
    Rainey LA where Fathers and Children are at war.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to US Conservative For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (01-14-2022)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    I remember a poster saying the South only wanted to count slaves as 3/5's of a person. I told them yes, but the North didn't want them counted at all. The poster refused to see the logic in the Compromise.
    I am not joe biden and I both understand and approve this message

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Felix Birdbiter For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (01-14-2022),Quark (01-07-2022),Wildrose (01-14-2022)

Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience Points3 months registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    I just watched a video with Carol Swain by PragerU which addressed this issue. She said the 3/5ths compromise had nothing to do with a slave being only 3/5ths of a person. It had to do with slave states only being allowed to count 3/5ths of their slave population to go towards how many representatives they were allowed to have in congress. So, it's all in the framing. In that case, it doesn't seem as bad anymore.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to crcook84 For This Useful Post:

Wildrose (01-14-2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Felix Birdbiter View Post
    I remember a poster saying the South only wanted to count slaves as 3/5's of a person. I told them yes, but the North didn't want them counted at all. The poster refused to see the logic in the Compromise.
    Actually the slave states wanted blacks counted as full persons for the purpose of deciding which states would have the most representatives.

Non slave states didn't want them counted at all.

3/5's "persons" was the compromise between the two.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildrose For This Useful Post:

Dr. Felix Birdbiter (01-15-2022)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Actually the slave states wanted blacks counted as full persons for the purpose of deciding which states would have the most representatives.

Non slave states didn't want them counted at all.

3/5's "persons" was the compromise between the two.
    This was actually the entire slavery issue, how many Representatives each state would have depending on their population. Logically, not counting the slaves as citizens was the correct position to take. After all, slaves had no representation in Congress The North had no overwhelming reason to free the slaves as that would automatically increase the power of the Southern states. A little known fact is there were more Abolitionist organizations in the Southern States than in the North. There was no outcry in the Congress to free the slaves and Lincoln only did so (in the Southern States only) as a means to further disrupt the economy of the South. The last state to officially free its slaves was (wait for it) Delaware. It wasn't until the 13th Amendment was passed that we saw the end of slavery

https://whyy.org/articles/juneteenth...laware-slaves/
    Last edited by Dr. Felix Birdbiter; 01-15-2022 at 09:13 PM.
    I am not joe biden and I both understand and approve this message

Make Orwell Fiction Again V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 30.0%

Thanks
    The short answer is that the north insisted on the 3/5 compromise.

Fuckwits always react in typical slack-jawed idiot surprise when you educate them on actual American history.
    To think is easy. To act is difficult. To act as one thinks is the most difficult.

- Goethe

Thread Information