Thread: RUST shooting - a bit more emerges

Super Moderator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    One more point, the range I go to is a tactical range, they have gun tournaments and those guys are DAMN good shots..
    Most of the guys in there are experienced x cops military...theres a sprinkling of novice but they arent attracted to this range.
    Its not pretty its well used, and they go to shooting world instead which is a novice heaven....anyway

This range allows rifles No shotguns...there is 2 inch bullet traps between lanes....

You have to see the bullet hits on those bullet traps Everyone of them 12 in all had had experienced shooters ERR big time..
    Last edited by Common; 12-03-2021 at 01:32 AM.
    !!!!!!!!!! LETS GO BRANDON !!!!!!!!!!
    F Joe Biden

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Glocks do you think theyre safe ? no thumb safeties...boast internal, trigger, etc...you wouldnt want to know how many cops have shot themselves in the leg and foot rushing to get out of a patrol car...or shot themselves in the stall taking a dump and putting their harness back on...before glock they shot themselves now and then with revolvers.

NO GUN IS SAFE, once its in someones hands...the owner the user is the ONLY safety you can 100% trust or distrust
    I was a firearm instructor, range master and weapon safety instructor, many years many...but the principles are still the same.
    Then gun NEVER shoots you...you do, your friend does, etc

A gun will lay forever on the ground and never hurt a soul until someone picks it up....Everyone knows this, this isnt new this is special education....you guys are argueing over a moot issue...something everyone knows

I personally believe that anyone that wouldnt consider themselves a very Experienced knowledgeable gun owner...get a thumb safety even on striker fired....People use the excuse well revolvers never had safeties...true but most of them had a much harder trigger pull.....I believe for novice and those not experienced gun handlers get thumb safeties...especially if you have kids or have kids come to your home
    I'm not a fan of Glocks for that very reason. I'm a big fan of at least having a backstrap safety but generally don't recommend a gun with an external mechanical safety for general civilian carry.

As a rule though, a gun is only as dangerous as the person handling it. They can all do great harm when improperly handled.

No properly operating gun however is going to fire itself or simply go off because you're holding it, if you're holding it properly with your finger off of the trigger.

They all have pluses and minuses. My only complaint with 1911's is that if they are carried with one in the chamber you must carry it cocked with the safety engaged. That exposed hammer can catch on clothing and some people without lots of repetitions miss the safety and that delay can get them killed.

Generally I carry a DA revolver, 1911, or XD XDM depending on what's planned for the day.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    One more point, the range I go to is a tactical range, they have gun tournaments and those guys are DAMN good shots..
    Most of the guys in there are experienced x cops military...theres a sprinkling of novice but they arent attracted to this range.
    Its not pretty its well used, and they go to shooting world instead which is a novice heaven....anyway

This range allows rifles No shotguns...there is 2 inch bullet traps between lanes....

You have to see the bullet hits on those bullet traps Everyone of them 12 in all had had experienced shooters ERR big time..
    Even the most experienced shooters make mistakes in handling. One of the worst things about regular carry, even regular practice is that people tend to start forgetting about the fundamentals. The rate of AD's and ND's among law enforcement is a prime example. Experience is no substitute for diligence.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Ok so it turns out the bullet that killed the girl was a hand made round. The source of this round was possibly the New Mexico armourer who supplied the movie with the guns and the ammo, and who used hand made rounds at a firing range to train actors how to use guns. Its conceivable that one or more of these hand made live rounds found its way onto the RUST set by accident.

Baldwin says he did not pull the trigger. He says he was simply holding the gun and it went off spontaneously.

This is all perfectly feasible.

Alec Baldwin will sit down for 'intense' and 'revealing' prime time interview' on Rust shooting | Daily Mail Online
    It's fesible that a gun fired itself? Sorry, I can't buy that one regardless of the round.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Wildrose (12-04-2021)

running down a dream V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    gun went off by itself Baldwin would be better off with an insanity plea.
    Dull lions prone on a watery beach.
    The universe kneels at the swamp to curiously eye its own raw postures of decay in the mirror of human consciousness.

50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Even the most experienced shooters make mistakes in handling. One of the worst things about regular carry, even regular practice is that people tend to start forgetting about the fundamentals. The rate of AD's and ND's among law enforcement is a prime example. Experience is no substitute for diligence.
    Same with anything really. Complacency. When I worked in a lumber yard did I always crank down the table saw blade after ripping 2x6's and now moving on to one 1x6? Nope. Did I ever use too short a push stick? Yup.Did it ever bite me. Nope, but it did a coworker when he got just as complacent, it could have just as easily been me. I've seen experienced ice fisherman on a river within a 100 yards of open water,. I could go on, we all have examples. It's human nature for complacency to set in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Wildrose (12-03-2021)

Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    A. The bullet COULD have gotten mixed up with "blanks."
    The liability and blame for that would be with the armorer, producers (they run the show, so, they are responsible. Trust me: That is the way it would work in any other American business)

B. HIGHLY unlikely that the gun "went off" without the trigger being pulled.
    This can easily be tested, but, again...IF the producers, armorer, and others in charge allowed such a weapon on set (in most cases, the guns used on sets can't even fire normal rounds!), then they are both criminally and certainly, civilly, responsible.

I do not think Alec Baldwin MEANT to fire the gun.

But, he was co-producer on set, so, legally, he bears some responsibility.

No worries, though. He will be back in the limelight by next Summer. I doubt he will have to pay a penny, and he certainly won't receive any legal punishment.

Now. If he were a no name General Contractor who had an employee fall off a scaffold...the results would be far, far more harsh......
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

Freewill (12-03-2021)

ADMIN IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Read the manual dumbfuck.
    warning

FAIR WARNING

Wildrose is thread banned. Do not respond to his posts.

Ours may become the first civilization destroyed, not by the power of our enemies, but by the ignorance of our teachers and the dangerous nonsense they are teaching... -Thomas Sowell
    Forum rules: HERE

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

WVYankee (12-03-2021)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocialTagger Second ClassOverdrive
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    a gun or ammo does not go off by itself period.....the primer has to be sharply struck by the firing pin to ignite the load.I'd buy it maybe, if he dropped the gun and it somehow discharged.

ADMIN IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    I’ll go with I don’t trust anything they are saying at this point.

If he didn’t pull the trigger and it was a new gun then it completely doesn’t make sense at all.
    What he said gave it away. He cocked it but not all the way. When he let go the hammer fell, firing the gun. The question is was when was the gun made and exactly how. There's the matter of the transfer bar. That prevents accidental fire and it on all modern guns. Some old firearms even had a point on the hammer. It comes down to how the gun was made. It was a repro Pietta... don't know the specifics of the mechs. I don't have time to look it up. Here's the website if anyone wants to.....

http://piettausa.com/
    Ours may become the first civilization destroyed, not by the power of our enemies, but by the ignorance of our teachers and the dangerous nonsense they are teaching... -Thomas Sowell
    Forum rules: HERE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

WVYankee (12-03-2021)

Thread Information