User Tag List

Thread: Old Gods: Anu

Senior Member Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassOverdrive
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks

Old Gods: Anu

Long ago when I took a course concerning the Land Between the Rivers I learned about a Sumerian god, An. As Sumerian gave way to Akkadian An became Anu. The Sky God. He was the King of the Gods and Lord of the constellations.

Cool beans.

From Wiki:

By the time of the earliest written records, Anu was rarely worshipped, and veneration was instead devoted to his son Enlil. But, throughout Mesopotamian history, the highest deity in the pantheon was always said to possess the antu, meaning "Heavenly power". Anu's primary role in myths is as the ancestor of the Anunnaki, the major deities of Sumerian religion. His primary cult center was the Eanna temple in the city of Uruk, but, by the Akkadian Period (c. 23342154 BCE), his authority in Uruk had largely been ceded to the goddess Inanna, the Queen of Heaven.

In Mesopotamian religion, Anu was the personification of the sky, the utmost power,[10] the supreme god,[11] the one "who contains the entire universe".[12] He was identified with the north ecliptic pole centered in Draco.[13] His name meant the "One on High",[10] and together with his sons Enlil and Enki (Ellil[14] and Ea[15] in Akkadian), he formed a triune conception of the divine, in which Anu represented a "transcendental" obscurity,[10] Enlil the "transcendent" and Enki the "immanent" aspect of the divine.[16] The three great gods and the three divisions of the heavens were Anu (the ancient god of the heavens), Enlil (son of Anu, god of the air and the forces of nature, and lord of the gods), and Ea (the beneficent god of earth and life, who dwelt in the abyssal waters). The Babylonians divided the sky into three parts named after them: The equator and most of the zodiac occupied the Way of Anu, the northern sky was the Way of Enlil, and the southern sky was the Way of Ea.[1] The boundaries of each Way were at 17N and 17S.[17]

Anu was the Most High God.

Early people had lots of gods.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Common (11-29-2021)

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    "He who is between the thighs of Nut (Goddess of sky and heaven) is the Pygmy who danceth like the god and who pleaseth the heart of the god before his great throne."
    --Pyramid Text of Pepi I, 6th Dynasty, 2300 BCE "The High Priest Tera Neter of the Temples of the God Seth of the Cities of the Anu Peoples" -- Inscription on Tera Neter tile dating around 3100 BCE at a temple at Aabdju (Abydos) in Ta-Seti (Upper Egypt)

"Anu's People " may have been one of the original tribes of the Nile valley.

I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

WARNING: In the Science Forum, the Big Bang is settled science. if you want to doubt it, go and doubt it in another forum.
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    "He who is between the thighs of Nut (Goddess of sky and heaven) is the Pygmy who danceth like the god and who pleaseth the heart of the god before his great throne."
    --Pyramid Text of Pepi I, 6th Dynasty, 2300 BCE "The High Priest Tera Neter of the Temples of the God Seth of the Cities of the Anu Peoples" -- Inscription on Tera Neter tile dating around 3100 BCE at a temple at Aabdju (Abydos) in Ta-Seti (Upper Egypt)

"Anu's People " may have been one of the original tribes of the Nile valley.

While I tend to doubt that I do believe there was trade between ancient Iraq and ancient Egypt.

Last edited by MisterVeritis; 11-29-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Leftists are scum Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Long ago when I took a course concerning the Land Between the Rivers I learned about a Sumerian god, An. As Sumerian gave way to Akkadian An became Anu. The Sky God. He was the King of the Gods and Lord of the constellations.

Cool beans.

From Wiki:

By the time of the earliest written records, Anu was rarely worshipped, and veneration was instead devoted to his son Enlil. But, throughout Mesopotamian history, the highest deity in the pantheon was always said to possess the antu, meaning "Heavenly power". Anu's primary role in myths is as the ancestor of the Anunnaki, the major deities of Sumerian religion. His primary cult center was the Eanna temple in the city of Uruk, but, by the Akkadian Period (c. 2334–2154 BCE), his authority in Uruk had largely been ceded to the goddess Inanna, the Queen of Heaven.

In Mesopotamian religion, Anu was the personification of the sky, the utmost power,[10] the supreme god,[11] the one "who contains the entire universe".[12] He was identified with the north ecliptic pole centered in Draco.[13] His name meant the "One on High",[10] and together with his sons Enlil and Enki (Ellil[14] and Ea[15] in Akkadian), he formed a triune conception of the divine, in which Anu represented a "transcendental" obscurity,[10] Enlil the "transcendent" and Enki the "immanent" aspect of the divine.[16] The three great gods and the three divisions of the heavens were Anu (the ancient god of the heavens), Enlil (son of Anu, god of the air and the forces of nature, and lord of the gods), and Ea (the beneficent god of earth and life, who dwelt in the abyssal waters). The Babylonians divided the sky into three parts named after them: The equator and most of the zodiac occupied the Way of Anu, the northern sky was the Way of Enlil, and the southern sky was the Way of Ea.[1] The boundaries of each Way were at 17N and 17S.[17]

Anu was the Most High God.

Early people had lots of gods.

Check it out. The Sumerians had some funky things.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post

While I tend to doubt that I do believe there was trade between ancient Iraq and ancient Egypt.

There were MANY advanced civilizations, long ago...well beyond Pharaonic Egypt's time.

We have an extant homonin cousin out there...way smarter than we are. Their handiwork is all over the ancient world...and can be seen, today in what we describe as "alien UFO's".
    Last edited by Northern Rivers; 11-30-2021 at 12:01 AM.
    Life without dogs is like life without music....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Rivers View Post
    There were MANY advanced civilizations, long ago...well beyond Pharaonic Egypt's time.

We have an extant homonin cousin out there...way smarter than we are. Their handiwork is all over the ancient world...and can be seen, today in what we describe as "alien UFO's".
    No.

Thread Information