User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Gods: Ahura Mazda

Senior Member Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassOverdrive
    Overall activity: 22.0%

Thanks

Old Gods: Ahura Mazda

...Ahura Mazdā created the universe and the cosmic order that he maintains. He created the twin spirits Spenta Mainyu and Angra Mainyu (Ahriman)—the former beneficent, choosing truth, light, and life; and the latter destructive, choosing deceit, darkness, and death. The struggle of the spirits against each other makes up the history of the world and is reflected in the choice between good and evil that humanity constantly faces.

How did Zoroastrian ideas find their way into the Abrahamic faiths and elsewhere? According to scholars, many of these concepts were introduced to the Jews of Babylon upon being liberated by the Persian emperor Cyrus the Great. They trickled into mainstream Jewish thought, and figures like Beelzebub emerged. And after Persia’s conquests of Greek lands during the heyday of the Achaemenid Empire, Greek philosophy took a different course. The Greeks had previously believed humans had little agency, and that their fates were at the mercy of their many gods, who often acted according to whim and fancy. After their acquaintance with Iranian religion and philosophy, however, they began to feel more as if they were the masters of their destinies, and that their decisions were in their own hands.

You are welcome.

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Thanks
    I have always liked that name Beelzebub. If I ever get another dog, I'll think I'll name him Beezle.

Below it what Jesus said about Beezlebub,

KJV Matthew 12:25- 28

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
    Last edited by gregonejeep; 11-26-2021 at 04:21 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gregonejeep For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (11-26-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregonejeep View Post
    I have always liked that name Beelzebub. If I ever get another dog, I'll think I'll name him Beezle.

Below it what Jesus said about Beezlebub,

KJV Matthew 12:25- 28

25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
    Thousands of years before the Hebrew god came on the scene other gods were worshipped in other places. The Hebrew god had plenty of competition. If the Persians had not defeated the Jews, taking many into captivity I wonder if Judaism might have been a far different religion.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Thousands of years before the Hebrew god came on the scene other gods were worshipped in other places. The Hebrew god had plenty of competition. If the Persians had not defeated the Jews, taking many into captivity I wonder if Judaism might have been a far different religion.
    Was the Persian Era after Solomos's first Temple Era ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gator Monroe For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (11-26-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    Was the Persian Era after Solomons's first Temple Era ?
    The Babylonian exile occurred in about 590 BC. Solomon's temple, based on the stories, was built as much as 400 years earlier.

Thanks
    It appears the Persian empire along with the help of the one and only "Lord and God" that matters, at one point in time had a positive influence on the people of Jerusalem. As it is written,

KJV EZRA 1:1-3,

1 Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying,

2 Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah.

3 Who is there among you of all his people? his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of the LORD God of Israel, (he is the God,) which is in Jerusalem.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gregonejeep For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (11-26-2021)

Thanks
    It appears the Persian empire along with the help of the one and only "Lord and God" that matters, at one point in time had a positive influence on the people of Jerusalem. As it is written,

KJV EZRA 1:1-3,

1 Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying,

2 Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah.

3 Who is there among you of all his people? his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of the LORD God of Israel, (he is the God,) which is in Jerusalem.
    The Jewish people had the misfortune of living on an invasion route. While they were compelled to live in Babylon they were exposed to Mesopotamian gods, god concepts, and many of the myths they reworked as their own, like the great flood story.

It would help if you updated the language you use in your stories. We haven't spoken old English for about 400 years.

Thanks
    The Jewish people had the misfortune of living on an invasion route. While they were compelled to live in Babylon they were exposed to Mesopotamian gods, god concepts, and many of the myths they reworked as their own, like the great flood story.

It would help if you updated the language you use in your stories. We haven't spoken old English for about 400 years.
    Reading the Scripture's in the old English that is used in my Mom's old KJV Bible she left me, is part of the "inspiration" that I derive from reading them.

Of which to me, gives the reader more incentive to really try to understand what they are reading. Which for many as me, will result in them reading the Scripture a lot more than once.

Repetition = having a higher probability of remembering. JMO
    Last edited by gregonejeep; 11-26-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Reading the Scripture's in the old English that is used in my Mom's old KJV Bible she left me, is part of the "inspiration" that I derive from reading them.

Of which to me, gives the reader more incentive to really try to understand what they are reading. Which for many as me, will result in them reading the Scripture a lot more than once.

Repetition = having a higher probability of remembering. JMO
    You might as well read them in Latin or Greek.

V.I.P. V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Thanks
    God's, Goddesses And Pagan Worship...

Almost from the beginning we've had Babylonian Deities, Assyrian Deities, Egyptian Deities, Canaanite Deities, Deities of Medo-Persia, Grecian Deities, Roman Deities, etc. All failed and false entities by sinful man.

Gods of worldly Nations Contrasted With Supreme God of the Universe, Jehovah. Today many of the gods mentioned in the Bible are little more than a name. Although their worshipers at times even sacrificed their own children to them, the false gods were unable to rescue those who looked to them for aid in time of need. (2Ki 17:31) Hence, in the face of his military successes, the king of Assyria, through his spokesman Rabshakeh, boasted: “Have the gods of the nations at all delivered each one his own land out of the hand of the king of Assyria? Where are the gods of Hamath and Arpad? Where are the gods of Sepharvaim, Hena and Ivvah? Have they delivered Samaria out of my hand? Who are there among all the gods of the lands that have delivered their land out of my hand, so that Jehovah should deliver Jerusalem out of my hand?” (2Ki 18:28, 31-35) But Jehovah did not fail his people as had those false gods. In one night the angel of Jehovah killed 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians. Humiliated, the proud Assyrian monarch Sennacherib returned to Nineveh, later to be murdered by two of his sons in the temple of his god Nisroch. (2Ki 19:17-19, 35-37) Truly, “all the gods of the peoples are valueless gods; but as for Jehovah, he has made the very heavens.”​—Ps 96:5.

Not only do the false gods have the characteristics of their makers, but people also become much like the gods whom they worship. To illustrate: King Manasseh of Judah was devoted to false gods, even to the point of making his son pass through the fire. But Manasseh’s zealous pursuit of false worship did not make him a better king. Rather, he proved to be like the bloodthirsty deities he worshiped, shedding innocent blood in very great quantity. (2Ki 21:1-6, 16) In sharp contrast with this, worshipers of the true God endeavor to be imitators of their Perfect Maker, displaying the fruitage of his spirit: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, and self-control.​—Eph 5:1; Ga 5:22, 23.

And so it tiz...

Last edited by S-N-A-F-U; 11-27-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Thread Information