User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Empathy = Morality?

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    Humans are products of their environment....have always maintain that statement. I would venture to say that a 12 year old in the inner city would have a different "outlook" on life verses the same aged boy in my community.

Pretty simple if you just look at life and the facts that surround life. Especially over the course of 40 or 50 years time.

Their upbringing of the individual is a well known denominator in my statement.....
    Last edited by tlmjl; 12-03-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Sacred heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death...AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    ​For the sake of his sorrowful Passion....have mercy on us and on the whole world

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tlmjl For This Useful Post:

CWF (12-04-2021)

50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    Personally, I don't think that people are "embedded" with anything at all. When born we know how to cry and how to suck. Other than that we are pretty much victims of what we are taught, and the environment we are in, both of which influence our behavioral choices.

The Creator tells us how we should live, gives us the choice to live it or reject it, and even tells us what choice to make. "Choose Life". He doesn't set a puzzle before us to pick from. He tells us what to do and why we should do it. It is for our benefit, indeed for the benefit of all. We are not embedded with morality. We choose to be moral.

Head hunters in New Zealand are not influenced by God. They are not "embedded" with Christian Morals. And that is just one example of countless other examples.
    Last edited by CWF; 12-04-2021 at 06:53 AM.

50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Thanks
    If one holds to their morality they are not saying they never harm a person out of spite. Some people are comfortable when getting one over on another person. An extension of laughing when someone falls down the stairs. It is not actually funny.
    I value integrity, kindness, consideration, do unto others that which you would like them to do unto you. Some people are very comfortable when they connive to drop another person in serious shit.
    I was metaphorically, stabbed in the back by a very close friend, using a long metaphorical knife. It took me well into adulthood before I even considered ones close friends would ever connive to stuff you.
    My pursuance and adherence for trust and reliability was so naive I shocked myself. Was this my comfort on having a moral stance and did this create my own trap? I learned the hard way - you can count your best (proper) friends on less than one hand - if twenty people told me - "watch that Bill bloke he is a right bastard" I would always seek to find out for myself. I would presume the might be wrong.
    Now I see that leftie, postmodernist, progressives are so evil they have moved the spectrum of tolerance beyond any rational concept for reasoning.
    Take Clinton: He DELIBERATELY worked it so that adding the word "RELATIONS" to "I did not have sexual RELATIONS with that woman"!!!!!!! placed him into the NOT lying category and millions fell for it. Some loved it.
    We have reached an all time low in human behaviour. I will not bow down to the evil, immoral scum currently trying to set a new agenda based on ............................... COMMUNISM.
    I literally look people in the eyes - who were once normal rational people - and they see NOTHING wrong with the BLM destroying whole towns and killing people. They have no issues with it. How fucked do you have to get to become like that.

“The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.” – Aristotle

Cosmic Watcher Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yeuemmaimai View Post
    our moral behavior has been defined by the 10 commandments (not the Roman Catholic Church version mind you)

God made 10 laws and man cannot behave. Man makes untold number of laws, cannot get any improvement in behavior.... huh, imagine that
    And Paul tells us that the Law, given through Moses, is INSTINCTIVELY kept by even the gentiles, who never heard of the Law.
    "God grant that by my persevering labours I may bring a little stone to the frail and ill-assured edifice of our knowledge of those deep mysteries of Life and Death where all our intellects have so lamentably failed." ~Louis Pasteur

SocialTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranOverdrive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregonejeep View Post
    The way I understand your above words below,

are you are stating/implying that all human beings are born with a "moral compass"?? .

Or, are you stating that one's moral compass is a learned attribute from the influence of other people or possibly even from a religious influence ?
    I think there may be exceptions.. the idea of a Sociopath, born amoral from birth. ..maybe not.. there is a good argument that sociopaths are made, not born. IOW, they become sociopaths through influences in their development, and the choices they make.

There is an innate.. God given 'conscience' in everyone (with the possible exception of some sociopaths). How else can we define 'sociopath?' The very term describes an amoral individual who has rejected all moral standards. We think them sick or perverted, for NOT 'feeling' the moral compass that is embedded in everyone else.

They would be the exception that proves the rule.
    "God grant that by my persevering labours I may bring a little stone to the frail and ill-assured edifice of our knowledge of those deep mysteries of Life and Death where all our intellects have so lamentably failed." ~Louis Pasteur

7. The Following User Says Thank You to usfan For This Useful Post:

gregonejeep (12-04-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    You demolished your argument before you got started.

"One of the most compelling evidences for the Creator is universal morality: Absolute morality, felt in the conscience of every human. Only the Creator could have embedded such a thing."

Really? How? Reason has to be presented, and a rebuttal must show the flaws. Simply declaring, "Your arguments are demolished!', is just a argument by decree. A favorite of progressive indoctrinees, everywhere.

Quoting my premise does not 'demolish my arguments'. You must do that, if you can. ..and i don't believe you have the reason or intelligence to do so. Sniping and ad hominem are all you ever present in a philosophical discussion.

..progressive indoctrinees..
    Last edited by usfan; 12-04-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I can defaet that view with one wrod Slavery.
    Hardly. The very fact you consider 'slavery' an immoral thing, is evidence that this sense of human equality (natural law), is a self evident truth.

If slavery was 'taught' as 'good' for millennia, HOW could anyone object, from a position of moral high ground? If morality is just a human construct?

Morals are just human constructs, right? So we humans 'constructed' a belief that slavery was moral. What or who decided, arbitrarily, that it was wrong? By what basis?

It was Christianity, historically, that ended global slavery. 'All men are created equal!', was the basis for condemning slavery, not 'Manifest Destiny'.

Slavery does not conflict with the embedded sense of morality, it illustrates it.
    Last edited by usfan; 12-04-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Does't the very existence of things like slavery prove the absence of any universal morality?
    The very existence of condemning slavery, a justification to exploit a fellow man, is proof that an embedded sense, placed there by the Creator, OVERRIDES the human constructs and justifications used to violate the moral compass.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tlmjl View Post
    Humans are products of their environment....have always maintain that statement. I would venture to say that a 12 year old in the inner city would have a different "outlook" on life verses the same aged boy in my community.

Pretty simple if you just look at life and the facts that surround life. Especially over the course of 40 or 50 years time.

Their upbringing of the individual is a well known denominator in my statement.....
    Indoctrination, by agenda driven ideologues, state sponsored or not, can ..suppress.. the inherent moral compass that is embedded in everyone at birth. That does not invalidate absolute morality, it proves it. There must be a systematic, deceptive, constant pounding of propaganda to override, or replace, the inherent natural law, in every person.

The observation that we condemn Hitler, for example, for indoctrinating genocide and elitism, in the 'Master Race!', shows that UN-indoctrinated people can still 'sense' the right way, as they have not been deceived by State propaganda.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWF View Post
    Personally, I don't think that people are "embedded" with anything at all. When born we know how to cry and how to suck. Other than that we are pretty much victims of what we are taught, and the environment we are in, both of which influence our behavioral choices.

The Creator tells us how we should live, gives us the choice to live it or reject it, and even tells us what choice to make. "Choose Life". He doesn't set a puzzle before us to pick from. He tells us what to do and why we should do it. It is for our benefit, indeed for the benefit of all. We are not embedded with morality. We choose to be moral.

Head hunters in New Zealand are not influenced by God. They are not "embedded" with Christian Morals. And that is just one example of countless other examples.
    Paul teaches that there us an instinctive awareness of a 'moral law', written in our hearts.

Rom.2: 14For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

Thread Information