User Tag List

Thread: Judge issues $14 million judgement against man for online "harassment"

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks

Judge issues $14 million judgement against man for online "harassment"

A judge has issued a $14 million judgement against a man for "harassment" which involved posting the information of a real estate agent online whom he accused of engaging in extortion and harassment to coerce another man's mother into selling a commercial property.

Was this actually a fair and just ruling or was the judge heavily biased?

The man which was ordered to pay the $14 million was the founder of and a ran a website called The Daily Stormer, which some say is Neo-Nazi.
    The accusations against the real estate agent, who is Jewish, took on a little bit of an antisemitic tone.

The man's name is Andrew Anglin, and he lived in Montana.

He refused to come to court, and refused to hand over any of his personal financial information to the court. As a result, U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen issued a default judgement against him, in favor of real estate agent Tanya Gersh.

Gersh says she had agreed to help Richard Spencer's mother sell commercial property she owns in Whitefish amid talk of a protest outside the building. Sherry Spencer, however, later accused Gersh of threatening and harassing her into agreeing to sell the property.

Gersh claims anonymous internet trolls bombarded her family with hateful and threatening messages after Anglin published their personal information, which even included a photo of her young son.

Gersh's April 2017 lawsuit accused Anglin of invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress and violation of the Montana Anti-Intimidation Act.

Neo-Nazi website founder accused of ignoring $14M judgment | AP News

Should Anglin really be fully to blame for the harassment? Is he to blame since he posted personal information, even though it was other anonymous people sending hateful and threatening messages to her through the internet?
    It seems to me $14 million in damages is drastically excessive, and that this may have been based on the judge's personal hate and contempt for the defendant rather than logic and justice.

Though originally born in Ohio, Anglin claims to be living outside of the US and his current whereabouts are unknown.

So it seems like federal judges in the US are issuing orders against people in other countries because of publicly sharing personal information and making accusations on the internet.
    I think there are some huge international jurisdictional issues here.

This also seems like another example of the recent trend that has been called "the criminalization of information".
    At what point does accusing other people publicly fall outside of freedom of the press protections? There does not appear to be any evidence that the accusations were not true. Did sharing the woman's personal information cross the line?
    Maybe it is only sharing information when that information will be expected to lead to internet harassment?

My personal opinion? Anglin, wherever he is right now is despicable. But that judge is even more despicable.
    There's a good chance that real estate agent is also unethical and despicable in her business practices.

If Anglin sets foot in the US, there is a good possibility he might be arrested and kept in prison until he reveals all the information necessary for them to be able to figure out if he owns anything in other countries, and then he might not be released until he signs over all those assets as part of the judgement.
    This is might just be my Libertarian streak talking, but this seems tyrannical. The US seeking to exert jurisdiction (and injustice, in this case) over information that those in other countries put on the internet.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kazenatsu For This Useful Post:

wbslws (11-25-2021)

Alumni, Moderator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteranYour first Group
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Seems like the judge is trying to wrangle punishment via monies from slippery, absentee and living in parts unknown neo nazis.

Who knows how it all got set up. My hunch is Richard Spencer kept everything in his mothers name, so it can't be touched. Anglin is the go between for Spencers mother to sell property. Something goes sideways and Anglin does the internet thug thing against the real estate person.

The judge is financially harming Richard Spencer, Andrew Anglin and Sherry Spencer (all upper level neo nazis)...to the tune of 14 million.

Nobody is going to call the judge on his ethics/motives regarding this, tyrannical or not.
    DuckDuckGo is a leftist, Soros sponsored and financial contributor to the collective left. They are the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. They present themselves as an option away from the corrupt Google, when in fact...they are only a contrived option that really just gives money, and takes money from our ideological enemies. Qwant appears to be an option. Spread the word.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    He refused to come to court, and refused to hand over any of his personal financial information to the court. As a result, U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen issued a default judgement against him

I don't know the story (of course) & this is the first that I'm hearing about it. But I will say that the above tells me that the guy isn't too swift. You automatically loose, even if your right, if you don't show up in court. It's like shouting to the world Screw Me.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

WhoKnows (11-25-2021),Wildrose (11-25-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kazenatsu View Post
    A judge has issued a $14 million judgement against a man for "harassment" which involved posting the information of a real estate agent online whom he accused of engaging in extortion and harassment to coerce another man's mother into selling a commercial property.

The man which was ordered to pay the $14 million was the founder of and a ran a website called The Daily Stormer, which some say is Neo-Nazi.
    The accusations against the real estate agent, who is Jewish, took on a little bit of an antisemitic tone.

He refused to come to court, and refused to hand over any of his personal financial information to the court. As a result, U.S. District Judge Dana Christensen issued a default judgement against him, in favor of real estate agent Tanya Gersh.

Gersh says she had agreed to help Richard Spencer's mother sell commercial property she owns in Whitefish amid talk of a protest outside the building. Sherry Spencer, however, later accused Gersh of threatening and harassing her into agreeing to sell the property.

Gersh claims anonymous internet trolls bombarded her family with hateful and threatening messages after Anglin published their personal information, which even included a photo of her young son.

Gersh's April 2017 lawsuit accused Anglin of invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress and violation of the Montana Anti-Intimidation Act.

Should Anglin really be fully to blame for the harassment? Is he to blame since he posted personal information, even though it was other anonymous people sending hateful and threatening messages to her through the internet?
    It seems to me $14 million in damages is drastically excessive, and that this may have been based on the judge's personal hate and contempt for the defendant rather than logic and justice.

Though originally born in Ohio, Anglin claims to be living outside of the US and his current whereabouts are unknown.

So it seems like federal judges in the US are issuing orders against people in other countries because of publicly sharing personal information and making accusations on the internet.

This also seems like another example of the recent trend that has been called "the criminalization of information".
    At what point does accusing other people publicly fall outside of freedom of the press protections? There does not appear to be any evidence that the accusations were not true. Did sharing the woman's personal information cross the line?
    Maybe it is only sharing information when that information will be expected to lead to internet harassment?

My personal opinion? Anglin, wherever he is right now is despicable. But that judge is even more despicable.
    There's a good chance that real estate agent is also unethical and despicable in her business practices.

If Anglin sets foot in the US, there is a good possibility he might be arrested and kept in prison until he reveals all the information necessary for them to be able to figure out if he owns anything in other countries, and then he might not be released until he signs over all those assets as part of the judgement.
    This is might just be my Libertarian streak talking, but this seems tyrannical. The US seeking to exert jurisdiction (and injustice, in this case) over information that those in other countries put on the internet.

I think a big question here is will we see consistency? Doxing is a serious issue often engaged in by extremist. I have not studied the legal fine points but it is an issue

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Hmm, I am getting a sense that we don't know the whole story here.

What does the Montana intimidation law say about a protest outside a commercial business? What is the business? They got a Nazi flag flying out front? Why would the people of Whitefish be so upset about a commercial building and the business therein?

If Ms Spencer didn't want to sell, what was the extent of the harassment and threats that made her sell? Is the realtor part of the protest group, or sympathetic to the group doing the protesting? Are the Spencers of the same neo nazi mindset as Mr Anglin? Why in the world would a neo nazi use a jewish realtor to sell their property?

None of this makes any sense.

How does the Montana law work? I doubt Mr Anglin is a Montana resident if he cannot be found. Can some Montana person sue me for something I post on the internet, while I am here in Florida? It's a civil matter, so I don't show up for court and ignore the court order? Who is going to come looking for me? Or will they just ding my credit report with a $14M unpaid bill?

Just doing a quick look, this website has some of the Spencer family history, how they accumulated wealth, and what was going on business wise at the Whitefish location. Warning ... this link is leftie leaning. It is revealing in how they tie the Spencer family to Jim Crow and racist by association. I would call it a smear. Sherry Spencer has publicly claimed to not be a racist, unlike her son.

https://revealnews.org/article/white...he-government/

I'm not sympathetic to neo nazis, and I don't like tyrannical oppressive government either. If I were a betting man, I would bet that tyrannical government beats neo nazi, every time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

WhoKnows (11-25-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 74.0%

Thanks
    I know, from personal experience, that if you refuse a court's orders and don't show up or provide the necessary documentation, the Judge can rule against you.

Also, not sure what being a Neo-Nazi has to do with this case. Don't get me wrong, they are abhorrent people, but that fact about them doesn't seem to have anything to do with the actual case itself.

Seems like the bullying, stalking, doxing, or whatever you want to call it happened online. Truth be told, I didn't read the whole article, but if they didn't show up for court, and didn't provide the requested information, they have no grounds to challenge the decision. Not too sure about this one.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kazenatsu View Post

I'm not seeing any evidence of bias here, did you forget to add something?

Yes, I think the guy should be held fully liable since it was he who began the campaign against the Realtor on line, The others could not have jumped on board with the smear campaign had ne not initiated it.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I think a big question here is will we see consistency? Doxing is a serious issue often engaged in by extremist. I have not studied the legal fine points but it is an issue
    This went far beyond even just Doxxing with stalking and defamation.

Thread Information