User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Space Junk /Debris Field around earth

  1. #1
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    Gator Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Southern Cascades
    Posts
    19,155
    Thanks
    3,526
    Thanked: 13,426
    Rep Power
    15393631

    Space Junk /Debris Field around earth

    Coud it be a Blessing and almost like a defense against Alien Invasion

  2. #2
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    kazenatsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,514
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked: 5,305
    Rep Power
    5121798
    First we got to clean up all that plastic junk floating in the Sargasso Sea.

  3. #3
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 88.0%

    Quark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    42,231
    Thanks
    90,548
    Thanked: 45,933
    Rep Power
    21474885
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    Coud it be a Blessing and almost like a defense against Alien Invasion
    Either that or it's a blessing for the aliens as we can't invade them. Wish we had something like that in the 40's then I wouldn't stuck when my ship broke down.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

    donttread (11-26-2021),MikeTx (11-24-2021)

  5. #4
    Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 1.0%

    MedicineBow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Rockies
    Posts
    4,899
    Thanks
    5,900
    Thanked: 8,162
    Rep Power
    21474847
    The amount of debris in space is quite huge. Certain orbits that are beneficial have higher probabilities of a strike.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MedicineBow For This Useful Post:

    Conservative Libertarian (11-24-2021),donttread (11-26-2021),Quark (11-24-2021)

  7. #5
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Esdraelon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    754
    Thanks
    3,546
    Thanked: 1,825
    Rep Power
    3642227
    Eventually there will be sufficient profit incentive that someone will devise a means of cleaning up the problem. My idea for removing the larger bodies is to use a mobile craft like the X-37 to attach tiny propulsion attachments to drive the junk down into the atmosphere. It would be time consuming and expensive but not as expensive as the lost productivity from limiting new satellites or replacing existing satellites that are damaged by a debris strike. At some point we'll either find a way to reduce the debris field or stop sending new satellites into orbit.

  8. #6
    Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Wildrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    17,037
    Thanks
    1,547
    Thanked: 2,872
    Rep Power
    10054300
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineBow View Post
    The amount of debris in space is quite huge. Certain orbits that are beneficial have higher probabilities of a strike.
    And the spaces separating it are even more immense.

    With all the ships we've put into orbit since the late 60's you'd think at least a few of them would have crashed into that debris by now if it was a significant threat to further launches.

  9. #7
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 88.0%

    Quark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    42,231
    Thanks
    90,548
    Thanked: 45,933
    Rep Power
    21474885
    Quote Originally Posted by Esdraelon View Post
    Eventually there will be sufficient profit incentive that someone will devise a means of cleaning up the problem. My idea for removing the larger bodies is to use a mobile craft like the X-37 to attach tiny propulsion attachments to drive the junk down into the atmosphere. It would be time consuming and expensive but not as expensive as the lost productivity from limiting new satellites or replacing existing satellites that are damaged by a debris strike. At some point we'll either find a way to reduce the debris field or stop sending new satellites into orbit.
    Most likely we will stop sending new satellites into orbit and all space flights will be cancelled. Probably for a 150 to 200 years is the estimate.

  10. #8
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 88.0%

    Quark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    42,231
    Thanks
    90,548
    Thanked: 45,933
    Rep Power
    21474885
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    And the spaces separating it are even more immense.

    With all the ships we've put into orbit since the late 60's you'd think at least a few of them would have crashed into that debris by now if it was a significant threat to further launches.
    The Kessler Effect or Syndrome explains the problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessle...20cascade%20in

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quark For This Useful Post:

    donttread (11-26-2021)

  12. #9
    Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Wildrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    17,037
    Thanks
    1,547
    Thanked: 2,872
    Rep Power
    10054300
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    The Kessler Effect or Syndrome explains the problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessle...20cascade%20in
    A theory that while it makes sense has yet to prove out.

    We have hundreds maybe thousands of satellites locked in orbit but the space between them all is so great collisions with or between any of them rarely if ever happen.

    If they do start occurring we could prove Kessler's theory true because each collision would break up the parent objects producing numerous more pieces of debris.

  13. #10
    Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Wildrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    17,037
    Thanks
    1,547
    Thanked: 2,872
    Rep Power
    10054300
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    Most likely we will stop sending new satellites into orbit and all space flights will be cancelled. Probably for a 150 to 200 years is the estimate.
    What's a whole lot more likely is we'll simply start removing or destroying the dead objects bringing them back to earth or turning them to vapor with space based lasers.

    We're certainly not going to cease putting more objects into orbit or continuing exploration beyond our own moon.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •