User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Space Junk /Debris Field around earth

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    The Kessler Effect or Syndrome explains the problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessle...20cascade%20in
    This is potentially the great filter as @Quark said , protecting space from us and vice versa. Maybe it's better that way?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Quark (11-26-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    What's a whole lot more likely is we'll simply start removing or destroying the dead objects bringing them back to earth or turning them to vapor with space based lasers.

We're certainly not going to cease putting more objects into orbit or continuing exploration beyond our own moon.

Once the collisions start cascading there will be millions, maybe billions of small but dangerous pieces of space junk. I'm not saying we can't clean that up but we'd better do so soon. There is a reason some see this as the reason the stars may never be ours. Because if we are trapped here long enough we will war ourselves back to the stone age. Rinse and repeat unless we affect human nature.
    Last edited by donttread; 11-26-2021 at 08:13 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Gator Monroe (11-26-2021),Quark (11-26-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Once the collisions start cascading there will be millions, maybe billions of small but dangerous pieces of space junk. I'm not saying we can't clean that up but we'd better do so soon. There is a reason some see this as the reason the stars may never be ours. Because if we are trapped here long enough we will war ourselves back to the stone age. Rinse and repeat unless we affect human nature.

Nah I cant see it. The flaw in the theory is that it assumes the debris field is evenly distributed round the planet, and it isnt, theres several preferred orbits which make it unlikely. We have already had collisions, no chain reaction takes place.
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

DO NOT POST COVID,VACCINE, or 5G BOLLOX IN MY THREADS. TAKE IT TO THE COVID FORUM. -----------------------------------------------------------
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

Thanks
    This is potentially the great filter as @Quark said , protecting space from us and vice versa. Maybe it's better that way?

Kardashevs Last Great Filter to Level 1 is going to be something a bit more world shattering and drastic than this, it doesnt have the potential to wipe out the Mammals.
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

DO NOT POST COVID,VACCINE, or 5G BOLLOX IN MY THREADS. TAKE IT TO THE COVID FORUM. -----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Near misses are not hits/strikes. There's obviously more than enough room to maneuver left up there and sooner or later all that junk ends up crashing into our atmosphere and burning up because of decaying orbits.

well the point is these are more common than random collisions. The kessler Effect isnt going to happen, because the debris field isnt uniform.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    With most of it burning up on reentry I don't see it being that alarming. Sooner or later all orbits decay.

There are likely trillions of micro meteors flying around in the solar system as well as small chunks of ice that breaks off from comets that I would think create a much bigger issue long term as far as navigational hazards.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Nah I cant see it. The flaw in the theory is that it assumes the debris field is evenly distributed round the planet, and it isnt, theres several preferred orbits which make it unlikely. We have already had collisions, no chain reaction takes place.
    Maybe we haven't hit critical mass for the reaction yet. I don't know. I just don't dismiss anything that has to do with man's ability to see really big as infinite.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Kardashevs Last Great Filter to Level 1 is going to be something a bit more world shattering and drastic than this, it doesnt have the potential to wipe out the Mammals.

It doesn't have to, or even wipe out mankind, just keep us here long enough to wipe out technology. Whether it is this or something else whatever stops us will probably involve our collective ego

Thread Information