User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Farts coming and going...

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo View Post
    Small Problem with that as You Can't teach the Younger Generations anything anymore, they Know it All and You will still bee just an "Old Fart" that doesn't know anything...!!!
    Yea. leave them to it, but then you get the satisfaction of saying 'I told you so' when they end up in the shit. When my son was a teenager he would listen to me and take my advice , as he got into his thirty's he thinks he knows better than me now. He doesnt. But i cant be arsed to point out his deficiencies.
    I declare that the entire content and attachments of any and all of my posts are for the purposes of personal entertainment, and that I do not vouch for the veracity of the content. Neither do I care if you doubt my sources. That's your prerogative, but not my concern.

DO NOT POST COVID,VACCINE, or 5G BOLLOX IN MY THREADS. TAKE IT TO THE COVID FORUM. -----------------------------------------------------------
    REMEMBER: Xenophobia Can Save Lives!

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 49.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    In the last few days I've read two articles about how sensitive old people are and what you shouldn't say to them. For example, you shouldn't say, "Golly, you don't look like you're 103." As an old person, I find this ridiculous.

Why not, if it's true I had an old fart irritate me because he lives in Oaxaca, Mexico, and said, "I don't go anywhere, where I might meet a Mexican."

"Then what are you doing in Oaxaca?"
    "I came for the plastic surgery. I've had nine." He struck a pose showing me what I assume he thought was his good side and said, "How old do you think I am?"

"I'm not good at guessing ages."
    "No, no, go ahead. Guess."
    "Okay, 89?"

He hasn't spoken to me since.

One article said you shouldn't say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. No, you shouldn't, because it isn't true with dogs or people. But, what's worse is old people saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks as an excuse for their refusal to learn something new.

I find that most often they are pretending inability in order to get you to do it for them. There are things I can't do any longer and there is more I'd rather not. So, I either figure out how to do it or hire someone to help me.

I bought a steel shelving unit that came in a box, of course, and weighed about 70 pounds. I might be able to handle 70 if it had a proper shape or handles. This didn't. I had two nephews coming over to help me get it from the entry up to my second floor apartment.

As I sat waiting I pondered and then I got up, slid the box over to the steps, and started up. The floors are polished stone or tile. I didn't pick up the box but I flipped it slowly end over end up the three flights of steps. The only places I had to muscle it was around corners.

I got it into my apartment and when my nephews showed up they put it together. As they were leaving my 30-year-old nephew asked me how I got it up the stairs and I explained I used levitation. He said, "Really?"

"Of course not. There is not magic." Then I explained how I moved it.

I have a friend, a retired college professor, who has a lot of problems. He's crazy but he's not stupid. I got him a new, inexpensive, smart phone.

"Oh, I can't learn this. I'm too old."
    "I'll help you."

I had to kick him in the ass a bit but he's learning. He asked me who taught me. "No one. I read articles on the internet, watched videos, and played with the phone. I'm no Android expert and I only know how to do the things I want to do but that's enough."

He said, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."
    "You're learning and it will keep you from turning into a vegetable." The last time I spoke to him he was starting to have fun learning new things.

I know old farts who brag that they can't get on the internet or can't use a cell phone. They almost always want me to do it for them. My position is well defined and hated. I'll help teach but I won't be an unpaid clerk.

When I was working I knew people who were 30 who were old farts.

Making assumptions about everyone in a group based on the behavior of some is what fools do. Whether it's race, religion, age, or anything else only fools look at the behavior of some, or even one, and say, "All of them are like that."

And only a worse fool says, "I know I'm bad and stupid but it's not my fault. It's because I'm black or male or old."

Judge individuals not groups and accept responsibility.

If you're an old fart, learn something new. If you're a young person and you want to zing an old fart, don't whine and crawl to your "safe space" if they zing you back.

Tell em you don't get to be old AND have thin skin because if you get offended at every little thing you're heart or brain will blow out. Then tell the millenials

3. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (10-25-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Tell em you don't get to be old AND have thin skin because if you get offended at every little thing you're heart or brain will blow out. Then tell the millenials
    Most of the old gringos I know in Oaxaca are Democrats and they care a lot whether other Democrats think they're woke enough and nasty enough.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (10-25-2021)

The Purple one V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Yea. leave them to it, but then you get the satisfaction of saying 'I told you so' when they end up in the shit. When my son was a teenager he would listen to me and take my advice , as he got into his thirty's he thinks he knows better than me now. He doesnt. But i cant be arsed to point out his deficiencies.
    My 2 sons are 40 and over. They see I am capable and strong, we three have mutual respect for each other, for the past 15 years I have had no part in giving them advice or help, if they needed it they’d of asked.

My father left me alone to do as I pleased and live my own life how I wanted to live it, I know right and wrong, he taught me it so I didn’t need his guidance as a young adult. This I’ve carried through to my own sons, it can never be said I interfered or tried to influence them to my decisions on anything.
    RIP Wes.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points31 days registered
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    I didn't realize I'm one of the younger ones here. I'm 48. I try new things all the time. Mostly because I just can't sit still. At 47, I decided to try to learn how to skateboard. Still loving it and haven't killed myself.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoKnows For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (10-25-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoKnows View Post
    I didn't realize I'm one of the younger ones here. I'm 48. I try new things all the time. Mostly because I just can't sit still. At 47, I decided to try to learn how to skateboard. Still loving it and haven't killed myself.
    I'm 80 and bought a blue scooter. I have some new scars but I'm having fun. Scars are a way of tracking your life.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

Oceander (10-25-2021)

Thread Information