User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: The latest on China and Taiwan

  1. #11
    Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Wildrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    11,863
    Thanks
    617
    Thanked: 1,375
    Rep Power
    7847865
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    The US does not need China. We got by just fine without them prior to the 1990s.

    They DO need the US market. Without a market their export-driven economy turns into Somalia. Without the US, who buys their schlocky stuff?

    They are economically and industrially falling apart already.
    Life would be difficult for a while if we cut economic ties with China. We lack the manufacturing capability, even the tech to produce most of what we buy from China today because we shipped them our factories piece by piece as Dem's through the EPA and other federal agencies strangled our manufacturing sector to death.

    Could we get it back? Yes, in time but we'd have to build the manufacturing capability from the ground up and train an entire workforce to perform the work.

    Painful and expensive but it could be done over time.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildrose For This Useful Post:

    pjohns (10-13-2021)

  3. #12
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    pjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,891
    Thanks
    8,693
    Thanked: 3,079
    Rep Power
    4394140
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Life would be difficult for a while if we cut economic ties with China. We lack the manufacturing capability, even the tech to produce most of what we buy from China today because we shipped them our factories piece by piece as Dem's through the EPA and other federal agencies strangled our manufacturing sector to death.

    Could we get it back? Yes, in time but we'd have to build the manufacturing capability from the ground up and train an entire workforce to perform the work.

    Painful and expensive but it could be done over time.
    I agree.

    We should never have allowed ourselves to become dependent upon another nation--and a hostile one, at that.

    But we did.

    So now, all we can do is what you suggested: Slowly rebuild our manufacturing capability.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

    Wildrose (10-14-2021)

  5. #13
    Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Wildrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    11,863
    Thanks
    617
    Thanked: 1,375
    Rep Power
    7847865
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    I agree.

    We should never have allowed ourselves to become dependent upon another nation--and a hostile one, at that.

    But we did.

    So now, all we can do is what you suggested: Slowly rebuild our manufacturing capability.
    If Covid hasn't done anything else positive it should have impressed upon the whole nation how critical it is to be dependent on a relatively hostile nation for our critical manufacturing needs.

    Unfortunately it didn't work.

    People seem to be so addicted to the latest outrage on social media or crackpot conspiracy nut sites that they are incapable of actually reasoning, looking hard at issues, and imagining solutions on their own.

    They'd rather have such things fed to them by celebrities.

  6. #14
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 33.0%

    TheOneOnly2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    1,240
    Thanked: 1,243
    Rep Power
    1729714
    If a nation cannot defend itself without help rhen I dont think it deserves to exist.

  7. #15
    Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 99.4%

    Wildrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    11,863
    Thanks
    617
    Thanked: 1,375
    Rep Power
    7847865
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    Why?

    Granted, prices for many goods--perhaps most--would rise considerably if we were to cut off China (and its slave labor) completely.

    But is that not a price that we would be willing to pay?

    (We were willing, as a nation, to accept strict rationing during WWII; and I am not even including the loss of so many of our young men. Why should any less of a material sacrifice be expected of today's generation?)
    No most Americans would not be willing to accept the loss of Chinese manufacturing. I'm not sure we could afford it without a whole lot of deaths since they are making a whole lot of our pharmaceuticals and the precursor chemicals necessary to make pharmaceuticals in the US.

    We've exported most of our consumer manufacturing to China and a lot of high tech manufacturing to the point we need Chinese made electronics for our military vehicles and equipment.

    We literally sent them much of the machinery out of our factories along with the know how to operate them.

    It would take a decade or more to even begin to replace China's manufacturing with our own.

    If anything we'd have to move much of what is produced in China today to other countries that are less hostile to the US and our policies.

    Do we need to bring that manufacturing back? Of course we do but the hurdles are incredible. Our own country's and states environmental reg's would preclude us from starting from scratch without a whole lot of laws being struck down and or repealed.

  8. #16
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 39.0%

    donttread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    9,640
    Thanks
    7,143
    Thanked: 9,552
    Rep Power
    8692023
    What is in Twain that they want? Capital?

  9. #17
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    pjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,891
    Thanks
    8,693
    Thanked: 3,079
    Rep Power
    4394140
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    No most Americans would not be willing to accept the loss of Chinese manufacturing.
    If this is true, then it speaks very poorly of the current generation of Americans.

    Wouldn't you agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I'm not sure we could afford it without a whole lot of deaths since they are making a whole lot of our pharmaceuticals and the precursor chemicals necessary to make pharmaceuticals in the US.
    This, then, would mean that the US is merely a vassal state, in total subordination to China; and not a truly independent nation.

    Do you not find this to be enormously--and I do mean enormously!--troubling?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    It would take a decade or more to even begin to replace China's manufacturing with our own.
    If this is indeed the case, then the sooner we start, the sooner we will finish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Do we need to bring that manufacturing back? Of course we do but the hurdles are incredible. Our own country's and states environmental reg's would preclude us from starting from scratch without a whole lot of laws being struck down and or repealed.
    I cannot disagree here.

    Unfortunately, as long as Joe Biden is president (or Kamala Harris, either; and she may inherit the office), these regulations are much more likely to be strengthened than repealed.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

    Northern Rivers (10-22-2021)

  11. #18
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 45.0%

    Northern Rivers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Northern Rivers
    Posts
    30,499
    Thanks
    30,138
    Thanked: 32,917
    Rep Power
    21474873
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    If this is true, then it speaks very poorly of the current generation of Americans.

    Wouldn't you agree?


    This, then, would mean that the US is merely a vassal state, in total subordination to China; and not a truly independent nation.

    Do you not find this to be enormously--and I do mean enormously!--troubling?


    If this is indeed the case, then the sooner we start, the sooner we will finish.



    I cannot disagree here.

    Unfortunately, as long as Joe Biden is president (or Kamala Harris, either; and she may inherit the office), these regulations are much more likely to be strengthened than repealed.
    Donald Trump had a handle on China...which is yet another reason he's so hated. When someone that dribbles a bassitball gets $10M to wear a pair of sneakers from China...he'll come to hate DJT, as well. He's not alone. Fortunes have been spun by those in either currently high office (or, now, a lobbyist and "arranger") to sell out their country.
    You're only as good as your last performance.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

    pjohns (10-22-2021)

  13. #19
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 39.0%

    donttread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    9,640
    Thanks
    7,143
    Thanked: 9,552
    Rep Power
    8692023
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxcutter View Post
    The US does not need China. We got by just fine without them prior to the 1990s.

    They DO need the US market. Without a market their export-driven economy turns into Somalia. Without the US, who buys their schlocky stuff?

    They are economically and industrially falling apart already.

    Let's say we need them now that Biden is pushing manufacturing back offshore before it fully came home. Producing our own stuff pissed off the globalist

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    pjohns (10-27-2021)

  15. #20
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 8.0%

    Taxcutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    23,098
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked: 21,081
    Rep Power
    21474869
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless terrier View Post
    ... we need China...
    Taxcutter says:
    Whatever for?
    Marxists, Socialists, Democrats, and the legacy media.

    They lie all the time. They lie about everything.

    They know they are lying. We know they are lying. They know we know they are lying.

    They lie anyway. It's what they do.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •