Thread: Importance of Church standards

I'd rather walk alone Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    What Church were you going to before Evangelical Church? What did you wear?

Edit - Is your new church a 'Super Church'? So tacky.
    I've never attended an evangelical church, and if we were one, I didn't know it

I always have associated evangelical churches with Southern Baptists.

What gave you the impression that I attend a new church? I don't attend any church at the moment.
    Last edited by Authentic; 09-15-2021 at 12:25 PM.
    Free as f---

Let em come, we are Millwall!

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    I guess that you could say I attend the church of Millwall. They are 6,000 miles away, I can't watch them on TV and don't do apps, but I will be following their game as it progresses when they play Swansea in an hour or so.
    Free as f---

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Churches are simply houses of fellowship. I have found nowhere in the Bible that it requires it to be a place of learning. In fact, we are instructed to "read and study the scriptures daily...." to learn about God and His purpose for us.
    Churches have overstepped their proverbial "bounds". Instead of nurturing and caring for the flock, they seem to care more about contributions. Some churches require an "audit" to determine if they are tithing properly.
    Doctrine seems to be dictated by the "needs" of the constituents. If they want you to give 10% of your income, they preach tithing. If they want you to stay home on Sunday, they preach Sabbath. That is why there are so many conflicting doctrines in Christendom.
    I do the best I can. I try to show my Heavenly Father that I will accept my place in His government, and will submit to His Will.
    I learn about God through Reading, Prayer and the Holy Spirit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tiny1 For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (09-16-2021)

Alumni, Moderator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteranYour first Group
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    The point I think that is trying to be made, might require an analogy.

Do the rigors/standards and difficulty entrance of Harvard and Yale, in fact produce a consistently higher educational product?

Something along that lines. There is a lot you have to do get entrance into that particular church...so the people produced in that entrance procedure - might - be "safer" people in the pew next to you.

That however clearly isn't the case, because you could only speculate in a generalized sense about those types of numbers, and then averaging them out somehow. You never really know what the person is all about, who is in the pew beside you.
    DuckDuckGo is a leftist, Soros sponsored and financial contributor to the collective left. They are the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. They present themselves as an option away from the corrupt Google, when in fact...they are only a contrived option that really just gives money, and takes money from our ideological enemies. Qwant appears to be an option. Spread the word.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianeye For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (09-16-2021),TheOneOnly2 (09-15-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    One thing that I find odd about protestant churches is that they have no standards that members must live up to. It seems that any scum of the earth is good enough for protestants and nothing is required of them. But when it comes to the Roman Catholic Church a lot is expected of us Roman Catholics for example we need to have a Catholic christening, we must do the sacraments of first communion, first reconciliation and confirmation. If you havent done these things then you are not a Catholic and you really are not welcome to visit a Catholic Church and you are not welcome to participate in our Eucharist. If you want to convert to Roman Catholicism then you must do the sacraments and you are not going to be able to do them overnight - you will need to be committed - you will need to study - and will need to follow through. Its even more difficult to convert to Judaism. The Jewish bar mitzvah and Catholic Confirmation are quite similar - a lot goes into them. By requiring to much of members we Jews and Catholics weed out the scum that protestants welcome with open arms.

As far as I can tell you dont need to do anything to become a protestant - especially and Evangelical protestant. Apparently some of them get baptized in a river or something but thats about it. To become an Evangelical all you really need to do is say that you are an Evangelical. This lack of standards encourages the scum of the earth to come to protestant and Evangelical - I will give you an example. When I was a kid my best friends father was a Presbyterian Minister and I would often go to church with this family after a sleepover. So I went to Presbyterian Sunday School quite a bit as a kid. I also used to do a lot of recreational type stuff with the church because they had a youth group and we would go places and do stuff. In a way I am an honorary Presbyterian of sorts. Anyway - I remember this criminal started attending the church and I knew of the family and that they are not good people and I found it odd that this guy started coming to the church. Then I heard my Dad talking about this guy and he was saying that he was facing jail time for stealing cars or something and he was only going to the church to get a reference from my friends father to try to help himself avoid jail. No doubt my friends dad, who was a very nice man, did everything he could to help this scumbag. I can tell you right now that the Catholic Church would never help a scumbag like that. It would take a lot more than a scumbag like that turning up at a Catholic Church for a couple of weeks before a Catholic Priest would give a criminal like that a character reference. And even though a non-Catholic can come to Catholic Masses they really are not welcome and they cannot receive Communion.

I will give you another example. A few years ago I watched a great doco called Dream Deceivers which is about a kid that shot himself in the head in a suicide attempt but didnt die and he and his family tried to blame the heavy metal band Judas Priest claiming that one of their songs contained a subliminal message that said "Do it". The doco really annoyed me because this kids family were absolute trash - the step father was a drunk and a gambling addict and his fat mother clearly had no parenting skills whatsoever. Its this family that comes to mind whenever I think of Evangelicals. You just dont get Catholics like these people. Of course the Evangelical Church that they were members of were encouraging them even though it was obvious that they were trash.

If there is one sin that I would say us Catholics are guilty of it would have to be pride. Catholics are generally proud people and we think that we are better than the rest of you. I would be the first to admit that we could probably dial that back a little. But at the same time I think that you protestants could afford to have a little more respect for yourselves and bring in some standards of your own to raise the calibre of people that you attract to your churches.

What do you guys think? Would you agree that by having no standards protestant churches attract the scum of the earth? Or do you think us Catholics and Jews are too proud and that our standards are too high?

https://dai.ly/x21u838

To each his own. Catholism is too much for many people including me. For others it works. What little time I've spent in church since my youth was generally in a Methodist church because it did not have all the demands and mortal sin for missing communiion or mass.
    Also shouldn't a church be the very place a criminal trying to get their life back on track be able to turn to. ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (09-16-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    Would you welcome Jesus Christ into your churches if he came back as a homeless person?

"Welcome" him? If they suspected it was Jesus they'd handcuff him to the altar until he changed every bottle of Aquafina in the Church
    basement storeroom to WINE.

Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-15-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

"I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    To each his own. Catholism is too much for many people including me. For others it works. What little time I've spent in church since my youth was generally in a Methodist church because it did not have all the demands and mortal sin for missing communiion or mass.
    Also shouldn't a church be the very place a criminal trying to get their life back on track be able to turn to. ?
    I suppose so but I guess Im just saying that it takes more to convince a Catholic that you are sincere than it does to convince a protestant.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

donttread (09-16-2021)

Thanks
    Would you welcome Jesus Christ into your churches if he came back as a homeless person?

He had no place to lay his head.
    Well he would not be able to participate in Communion if he had not done the sacraments. Catholics are kind of elitist is the thrust of what Im saying - Evangelicals not so much.

Thanks
    In Christ there is no Jew or Greek (and as a Cold War era hymn put it, no East or West).
    Well it is funny that Lutherans are so similar to Catholics isnt it. And funny that Luther seems to be such a hero to so many Evangelicals yet his protest against the Church was not extreme enough for you all. Otherwise you would all be Lutherans. And almost Catholic.

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    Well he would not be able to participate in Communion if he had not done the sacraments. Catholics are kind of elitist is the thrust of what Im saying - Evangelicals not so much.
    LOL! The communion is about remembering Jesus.

"Do this in remembrance of me."
    Free as f---

Thread Information