User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of The Beast, is it 616 or 666?

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 99.5%

Thanks

Number of The Beast, is it 616 or 666?

Number of the beast - Wikipedia

the number of the beast is six hundred and sixty-six or χξϛ (in Greek numerals, χ represents 600, ξ represents 60 and ϛ represents 6).[1] Papyrus 115 (which is the oldest preserved manuscript of the Revelation as of 2017), as well as other ancient sources like Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus, give the number of the beast as χιϛ or χιϲ (transliterable in Arabic numerals as 616) (χιϛ), not 666;[2][3] critical editions of the Greek text, such as the Novum Testamentum Graece, note χιϛ as a variant.[4]

I never really gave it to much thought, just thought it was 666 not 616

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WarriorRob For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (09-11-2021),Quark (09-11-2021),QuaseMarco (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    • In the Bible, 666 is the number of talents of gold Solomon collected each year (see 1 Kings 10:14 and 2 Chronicles 9:13).
    • In the Bible, 666 is the number of Adonikam's descendants who return to Jerusalem and Judah from the Babylonian exile (see Ezra 2:13).
    • Using gematria, Neron Caesar transliterated from Greek into Hebrew short-form spelling, נרון קסר, produces the number 666. The Latin spelling of "Nero Caesar" transliterated into Hebrew short-form, נרו קסר, produces the number 616. Thus, in the Bible, 666 may have been a coded reference to Nero, the Roman Emperor from 55 to 68 AD.[8

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarriorRob For This Useful Post:

Quark (09-11-2021),QuaseMarco (09-10-2021)

Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 85.0%

Thanks
    So 616 ................ 6 + 1 + 6 = 13

Tarot Card #13 Major Arcana

Transformation and Rebirth. A stern and unwavering messenger heralding change that is inevitable and is coming soon. Think not of this fearsome horseman as the executioner, think of him as the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. This is a card of new beginnings. An old building is demolished so that a new and better one may be constructed. So also, old habits and lifestyles will be abandoned for new and better ones. Discarding past encumberances will make room for a better future. The demolition of the old and the construction of the new will not be easy or painless, but ultimately will make things better. Traditionally, transformation, mortality, destruction, deterioration. Also, in certain contexts, the Death card may represent intense sexual experiences
    Last edited by QuaseMarco; 09-10-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    Democracy ends in the tyranny of the 51%
    over the 49%. A bad system of governance.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuaseMarco For This Useful Post:

Quark (09-11-2021),WarriorRob (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QuaseMarco View Post
    So 616 ................ 6 + 1 + 6 = 13

Tarot Card #13 Major Arcana

Transformation and Rebirth. A stern and unwavering messenger heralding change that is inevitable and is coming soon. Think not of this fearsome horseman as the executioner, think of him as the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. This is a card of new beginnings. An old building is demolished so that a new and better one may be constructed. So also, old habits and lifestyles will be abandoned for new and better ones. Discarding past encumberances will make room for a better future. The demolition of the old and the construction of the new will not be easy or painless, but ultimately will make things better. Traditionally, transformation, mortality, destruction, deterioration. Also, in certain contexts, the Death card may represent intense sexual experiences
    My sister is into Tarot Cards, she used to read them daily, not so much anymore though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorRob For This Useful Post:

QuaseMarco (09-10-2021)

Free Bird Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorRob View Post
    My sister is into Tarot Cards, she used to read them daily, not so much anymore though.
    I dated a woman that was into Tarot Cards. She was intriguing and interesting on a few levels..... same goes for the cards, or so I thought at the time.

Fact is thou, she knew her cards..... what I saw in some hands has recently brought back memories wondering if there's something to it

ETA: I'm trying to get over my interest in intriguing and interesting women.... they're nothing but trouble. lol
    Last edited by OldSchool; 09-10-2021 at 11:46 PM.
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within” – Abraham Lincoln.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldSchool For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (09-11-2021),Oberon (09-12-2021),QuaseMarco (09-10-2021),WarriorRob (09-10-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Number of the beast - Wikipedia

the number of the beast is six hundred and sixty-six or χξϛ (in Greek numerals, χ represents 600, ξ represents 60 and ϛ represents 6).[1] Papyrus 115 (which is the oldest preserved manuscript of the Revelation as of 2017), as well as other ancient sources like Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus, give the number of the beast as χιϛ or χιϲ (transliterable in Arabic numerals as 616) (χιϛ), not 666;[2][3] critical editions of the Greek text, such as the Novum Testamentum Graece, note χιϛ as a variant.[4]

I never really gave it to much thought, just thought it was 666 not 616
    Daniel Wallace, a true textual scholar of the Bible, says this about the 666 vs 616 question:
    Daniel B. Wallace responds to article on

"We are currently conducting several tests to determine whether 616 is indeed the number of the beast. If so, it will certainly have interesting (though fairly benign) implications. But this is neither as sensational nor as certain as the article made it out to be. "

That was in 2005. This is not a new issue.

If interested, this is an excellent presentation by Dr. Wallace on "How Badly was the New Testament Corrupted?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5cgQUJnrI

The lecture really starts at 12 minutes. Its long but thorough, and surprising.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson2 For This Useful Post:

WarriorRob (09-11-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    A friend of mine worked in the water treatment plant testing water. One day, one of her test produced a results of .666 and her supervisor refused to accept it. My friend thought perhaps she run the test incorrectly. She ran it again. She got .666 again. Then the supervisor explained that .666 is a magic number and is the number of the devil and she would accept nothing with .666. So my friend ran the test again and lied, putting down. 667.

Another friend was on a road trip with a friend of ours in the southwest. When he came to Highway 666 he stopped and insisted they turn around and go back and take another route. He could not drive on Highway 666.

Pitiful, isn't it? So is wondering if the magic number is 666 or 616. Actually, there are no magic number. Well, actually, there is no magic.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

WarriorRob (09-11-2021)

Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    It goes much further than attempting to define the "wild beast with seven heads and ten horns (666)" through off-the-wall numeric's.

IMO, The following makes Biblical sense over the OP, and what preceded.

According to the last book in the Bible, 666 is the number, or name, of the wild beast with seven heads and ten horns that comes out of the sea. (Revelation 13:​1, 17, 18) This beast is a symbol of the worldwide political system, which rules over “every tribe and people and tongue and nation.” (Revelation 13:7) The name 666 identifies the political system as a gross failure in God’s sight.

More than a label. Names given by God have meaning. For example, God gave the man Abram, which means “Father Is High (Exalted),” the name Abraham, which means “Father of a Crowd (Multitude),” when God promised that He would make Abraham “a father of many nations.” (Genesis 17:5, footnotes) Likewise, God named the beast 666 as a symbol of its defining attributes.

The number six implies imperfection. Often, numbers are used as symbols in the Bible. Seven typically represents completeness or perfection.Six, being one short of seven, can denote something incomplete or flawed in God’s eyes, and it can be associated with God’s enemies.​—1 Chronicles 20:6; Daniel 3:1.

Three times for emphasis. The Bible sometimes stresses a matter by stating it three times. (Revelation 4:8; 8:​13) So the name 666 powerfully emphasizes that God views human political systems as gross failures. They have been unable to bring lasting peace and security​—things that only God’s Kingdom will achieve.

The Bible says that people receive “the mark of the wild beast” because they follow it “with admiration,” to the point of worshipping it. (Revelation 13:​3, 4; 16:2) They do this by giving worshipful honor to their country, its symbols, or its military might. As The Encyclopedia of Religion states: “Nationalism has become a dominant form of religion in the modern world.”

How is the mark of the beast placed on someone’s right hand or forehead? (Revelation 13:16) Regarding his commands to the nation of Israel, God said: “Bind them as a reminder on your hand, and they should be like a headband on your forehead.” (Deuteronomy 11:18) This meant, not that the Israelites were to mark their literal hands and foreheads, but that God’s words would guide all their actions and thoughts. Likewise, rather than being something literal such as a 666 tattoo, the mark of the beast symbolically identifies those who let the political system rule their lives. Those with the mark of the beast place themselves in opposition to God.​—Revelation 14:​9, 10; 19:19-​21.

Source: Pinterest pictures

16. The Following User Says Thank You to S-N-A-F-U For This Useful Post:

WarriorRob (09-11-2021)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Here is the type of thing I talk about and am scorned for "trying to attack the bible". You'd think that, at least, a number that is given in God's Holy Word, for the purpose of identifying such a crucial entity in prophecy, would be CLEAR and CERTAIN. But even HERE there is a discrepancy in the manuscripts.

The more you investigate, the more HUMAN in origin, it all looks
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-11-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

"I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SharetheHedge For This Useful Post:

WarriorRob (09-11-2021)

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    • In the Bible, 666 is the number of talents of gold Solomon collected each year (see 1 Kings 10:14 and 2 Chronicles 9:13).
    • In the Bible, 666 is the number of Adonikam's descendants who return to Jerusalem and Judah from the Babylonian exile (see Ezra 2:13).
    • Using gematria, Neron Caesar transliterated from Greek into Hebrew short-form spelling, נרון קסר, produces the number 666. The Latin spelling of "Nero Caesar" transliterated into Hebrew short-form, נרו קסר, produces the number 616. Thus, in the Bible, 666 may have been a coded reference to Nero, the Roman Emperor from 55 to 68 AD.[8

As for Nero, and all possible fulfillments of the details of Revelation, the prevailing interpretation among Christians today is almost NONE of the events and signs in Revelation have occurred yet. This COULD be a big problem, and the myriad of interpretations of the things in the book among Christians is ALREADY a problem in light if the fact that in the last chapter, the commentator declares that the purpose of the book is to SHOW God's servants what is to come...

6Then the angel said to me, “These words are faithful and true. The Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent His angel to show His servants what must soona take place.”

Also, the imperative that these events were to occur "SHORTLY, SOON, and were "NEAR" appears frequently.

Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-11-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

"I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SharetheHedge For This Useful Post:

WarriorRob (09-11-2021)

Thread Information