User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable?

  1. #11
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    tiny1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    rural NC
    Posts
    4,676
    Thanks
    1,034
    Thanked: 6,516
    Rep Power
    21474846
    patrickt

    I have faith in man. In gods, devils, demons, angels, Easter Bunnies, and honest politicians, not so much.
    Faith in man? Surely you jest! Man is the one creature I'd never put faith in.
    My Word.
    Man is the only animal intelligent enough to create gods and frightened enough to need to.
    Man is a smart animal, but mankind is dumber than dirt.
    Well, the Bible tells us that man is the last place you want to invest your faith. Guess you didn't get the memo.
    So sad.
    Last edited by tiny1; 09-07-2021 at 01:02 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiny1 For This Useful Post:

    JAG (09-07-2021),Quark (09-07-2021)

  3. #12
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 1.0%

    JAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    825
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked: 435
    Rep Power
    664445
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    All I am pointing out is since you are asking which people are "teachable",
    WHO do you feel is the one that should do the teaching? Who has the
    correct, or most correct teaching? Is it YOU? Is that what you are
    implying?
    No, not me as the teacher.
    Rather God as The Teacher through His apostles and prophets.
    Maybe start with John's gospel , , ,
    Especially John 3:16
    followed up immediately with John 3:18

    Of course, unless you decide to "Have faith in God" (Mark 11:22) you
    will learn nothing from John's gospel nor any other New Testament book . . .
    Why is that?
    Because you're not teachable.
    Why not?
    Because you know more than God knows.
    You're smarter than God.
    For example here is what God said about the Holy Scriptures
    through His Apostle Paul writing to Timothy:

    "and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures,
    which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith
    in Christ Jesus.
    All Scripture is God-breathed and is
    useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in
    righteousness,
    so that the servant of God may be
    thoroughly equipped for every good work."2 Tim. 3:15-17


    But YOU say that the Bible can NOT be trusted.
    So?
    So you know more than God knows.
    You're smarter than He is.

    Which brings us back to:

    Aren't you ready to go ahead and lock-down in unbelief?
    One of your brothers in unbelief, wrote a book titled Farewell to God: My Reasons For Rejecting The Christian Faith
    Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith: Templeton, Charles: 9780771085086: Amazon.com: Books
    Based on your posting history (that I have read) you would DEARLY LOVE his book. Ya'll are bothers.
    Aren't you about ready to forever tell God goodbye?
    And just go ahead and resign yourself to whatever you think might be waiting for you out there?

    Best Regards.

    JAG


    ``

  4. #13
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 60.0%

    Quark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    38,672
    Thanks
    82,149
    Thanked: 40,264
    Rep Power
    21474881
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I have faith in man. In gods, devils, demons, angels, Easter Bunnies, and honest politicians, not so much.

    Man is the only animal intelligent enough to create gods and frightened enough to need to.
    I have no faith in Mankind. If Mankind was truly intelligent Mankind would not create gods nor be frighten enough to need gods. No Mankind is smart but not very intelligent.

  5. #14
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    SharetheHedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    12,639
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked: 12,742
    Rep Power
    18445883
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    No, not me as the teacher.
    Rather God as The Teacher through His apostles and prophets.
    Maybe start with John's gospel , , ,
    Especially John 3:16
    followed up immediately with John 3:18

    Of course, unless you decide to "Have faith in God" (Mark 11:22) you
    will learn nothing from John's gospel nor any other New Testament book . . .
    Why is that?
    Because you're not teachable.
    Why not?
    Because you know more than God knows.
    You're smarter than God.
    For example here is what God said about the Holy Scriptures
    through His Apostle Paul writing to Timothy:

    "and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures,
    which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith
    in Christ Jesus.
    All Scripture is God-breathed and is
    useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in
    righteousness,
    so that the servant of God may be
    thoroughly equipped for every good work."2 Tim. 3:15-17


    But YOU say that the Bible can NOT be trusted.
    So?
    So you know more than God knows.
    You're smarter than He is.

    Which brings us back to:

    Aren't you ready to go ahead and lock-down in unbelief?
    One of your brothers in unbelief, wrote a book titled Farewell to God: My Reasons For Rejecting The Christian Faith
    Farewell to God: My Reasons for Rejecting the Christian Faith: Templeton, Charles: 9780771085086: Amazon.com: Books
    Based on your posting history (that I have read) you would DEARLY LOVE his book. Ya'll are bothers.
    Aren't you about ready to forever tell God goodbye?
    And just go ahead and resign yourself to whatever you think might be waiting for you out there?

    Best Regards.

    JAG


    ``


    I am not "unteachable", I am just not as easily INDOCTRINATED as I once was, and that, for some reason, frustrates you. Don't you think most parents should teach their children to be a little "street smart", and not so naive as to accept anything anyone tells them they OUGHT to believe, if they are NOT convinced the evidence for that belief is substantial enough?

    A healthy amount of skepticism is a GOOD thing. In fact, it's NECESSARY, unless you want to be constantly DECEIVED? I even think you probably agree with that? When it comes to the subject at hand, however, you present a double-standard. Not only do you expect others to believe what you do by faith, but you CHIDE them when they try to EXAMINE the belief-system you present, to try and determine whether it seems like it's on the level.
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-08-2021 at 07:10 AM.
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

    "I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

    "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

  6. #15
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 1.0%

    JAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    825
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked: 435
    Rep Power
    664445
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    I am not "unteachable", I am just not as easily INDOCTRINATED as I once was, and that, for some reason, frustrates you. Don't you think most parents should teach their children to be a little "street smart", and not so naive as to accept anything anyone tells them they OUGHT to believe, if they are NOT convinced the evidence for that belief is substantial enough?

    A healthy amount of skepticism is a GOOD thing. In fact, it's NECESSARY, unless you want to be constantly DECEIVED? I even think you probably agree with that? When it comes to the subject at hand, however, you present a double-standard. Not only do you expect others to believe what you do by faith, but you CHIDE them when they try to EXAMINE the belief-system you present, to try and determine whether it seemsHow like it's on the level.
    Moving right along with stark raving reality here . . .

    I must face the truth.

    Even if I was the type to bicker and squabble with you (or anybody else), which I'm not.

    I would have zero chances of winning.

    And why is that?

    It's because you know more than God knows. (See my last post to you, I think its here :Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable? - Page 2 (thepoliticsforums.com)

    You're smarter than God. Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable? - Page 2 (thepoliticsforums.com)

    There is no possible way I could even hold my own, much less defeat, the man who is smarter than God.

    I know when I'm outclassed.

    Best Regards.

    JAG


    ``

  7. #16
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    SharetheHedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    12,639
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked: 12,742
    Rep Power
    18445883
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Moving right along with stark raving reality here . . .

    I must face the truth.

    Even if I was the type to bicker and squabble with you (or anybody else), which I'm not.

    I would have zero chances of winning.

    And why is that?

    It's because you know more than God knows. (See my last post to you, I think its here :Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable? - Page 2 (thepoliticsforums.com)

    You're smarter than God. Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable? - Page 2 (thepoliticsforums.com)

    There is no possible way I could even hold my own, much less defeat, the man who is smarter than God.

    I know when I'm outclassed.

    Best Regards.

    JAG`

    I'm not arguing with God but with YOU. The assumption that you speak for God is just another in a long line of unproveable assumptions. You are defending something that you can't PROVE truly represents God - that it is just your OPINION. There's nothing supernatural going on here, no omnipotent, omniscient 3rd party that is assisting you and kicking my ass, that's obvious. It's JUST you and me.

    Your opinion, which is faith based, against my normal, rational amount of skepticism concerning any message which goes hat in hand with claims of the miraculous and supernatural, but which has to be believed by FAITH, instead of being observable and repeatable.


    As I said several times, I can't prove what you believe is IMPOSSIBLE, but I am on solid ground to QUESTION it. You, on the other hand, have offered very little other than "the bible says" to DEFEND the bible.
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-08-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

    "I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

    "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

  8. #17
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 41.0%

    patrickt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Posts
    37,612
    Thanks
    5,516
    Thanked: 29,852
    Rep Power
    21474883
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    man is the only animal that kills from a distance.
    Because he's the only one that can. For millennium, man killed up close. Clubs, spears, knives and rocks one ruled the battle.

  9. #18
    Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 1.0%

    JAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    825
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked: 435
    Rep Power
    664445
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    I'm not arguing with God but with YOU.
    I never argue with people that know more than God knows See here: Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable? - Page 2 (thepoliticsforums.com)
    You're smarter than God so I would be crushed and totally destroyed.


    Best

    JAG

  10. #19
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    SharetheHedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    12,639
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked: 12,742
    Rep Power
    18445883
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    I never argue with people that know more than God knows See here: Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable? - Page 2 (thepoliticsforums.com)
    You're smarter than God so I would be crushed and totally destroyed.


    Best

    JAG

    If there is a God like you believe in, I am sure I could NOT be smarter than him, by definition.

    But I AM smart enough to catch the attempt you are making, to begin with your premise that there is a God and he wrote the bible, as if that was already established.

    That is what you must PROVE or at least argue toward - it's not a premise that you can BEGIN with. If I allowed you to do that, it would be very stupid of me.

    You are starting with the idea that - "SINCE there is a God and SINCE that God inspired everything in the bible, THEN..."

    No, you CAN'T do that. If I allowed you that assertion, there would BE no debate.

    So I don't have to be smarter, or as smart as God, to realize that IF there is a God, he's NOT speaking through you since you are engaged in a logical fallacy and God would NOT make that elementary a mistake of reasoning.
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-08-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

    "I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

    "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

  11. #20
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    SharetheHedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    12,639
    Thanks
    3,469
    Thanked: 12,742
    Rep Power
    18445883
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    I never argue with people that know more than God knows See here: Faith Is A Simple Test: To Find Out If You Are Teachable? - Page 2 (thepoliticsforums.com)
    You're smarter than God so I would be crushed and totally destroyed.


    "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James.1:5)
    Last edited by SharetheHedge; 09-08-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

    "I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

    "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •