User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Evidence for the Creator: Eternity Within

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    Doesn't it make more sense that it should take a huge degree of evidence to believe the BIBLE is a genuine account of miracle after miracle?

The assertion that a miracle occurred has the greater burden of proof doesn't it?

You're assuming that God inspired the writing of Genesis and had to dumb it down. Wouldn't it make more sense that the reason it sounds kind of "dumbed down" is that a 1500 BC man WROTE it? We KNOW that's what happened - that a BC MAN wrote it (although that date may be a bit off). The claim that a God instructed or inspired him to write it is what has to be proven but can only be accepted by FAITH.

What's the simplest, most realistic, and most likely possibility here? Why would we have to assume the miraculous to explain something, if it can be otherwise explained NON - supernaturally?
    Its a difference of perspective.

Through studying the Bible and life experiences, I have decided God exists, Christianity is the Truth, the Bible is God's direct communication to humanity, Jesus came to earth and was crucified and resurrected to provide a means for people to be absolved of their sins.

I accept the miraculous. I accept that the actions of some people are influenced by evil forces (Satan, demons, sin) that are not human. As Paul (Ephesians 6:12) puts it,
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I have already made some decisions about the Truth and while I am willing to challenge it, to change my mind will take some mighty huge proof.

While some bits of the creation story in Genesis might be simplified, it doesn't mean its not true exactly as written. God was not telling people how to create the Universe so humans could repeat the process, it was just a synopsis.

The real issue though is that there is so much of the Bible that is true that the weight is that Genesis is also true. If there is a bit of Genesis that I don't understand then my rational approach os to assume Genesis is true and I just don't understand it, not to initially assume its false.

Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    I don't understand all the details of the BB theory (except for the TV show which I am very knowledgeable about). Suffice to say it is still a theory, (although the prevailing one at the moment) and the details I believe can still be argued.

There is no reason NOT to suppose that a universe existed before ours, and whatever changes that universe went through has LED to ours. I'm just saying that may be as good a guess as any? There is no reason that matter and energy could not ALWAYS have existed and forever have been going through changes and that this current universe represents the LATEST changes.

If it is difficult, or even impossible to conceive of something that has ALWAYS existed, realize that the Christian doctrine of God brings about the the SAME incomprehensibility - that SOMETHING was ALWAYS there.

What was before the BB is a guess. Nobody knows, there is no way to find out. If you are a Christian you can ask Jesus when you see him in Heaven

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson2 For This Useful Post:

usfan (09-11-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Me? There's some sort of Quantum Reality we came from...and will return, to.

Will we have some sort of self-awareness? Maybe similar to the blaze of successful transcendental meditation...where you "appreciate" rather than "know" where you are.

No matter...I'll get there sooner than I'd like...
    You're only as good as your last performance.

50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by usfan View Post
    God has set Eternity in our heart, and man's infinite capacity cannot be filled or satisfied with the things of time and sense. ~F.B. Meyer

There comes a time in a person's life, when the concepts of eternity and a sense of mystery grip the heart and mind. Some have called this the age of accountability, which seems to be a bridge between childhood and maturity. The awareness of infinite space, time, and our mortality grip us, and it is usually very unsettling. Most people avoid these thoughts with busy work, amusements, or mind altering substances. Noise and commotion fill our ears and eyes, to evade the uncomfortable feeling of eternal existence.

Humans are amphibians - half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time. ~C.S. Lewis

Why would we have this sense, if we were random accidents in a godless universe? The obsession man has with eternity, conscience, and a spiritual reality make no sense, if we are merely products of a godless universe.. accidents of nature with no meaning or purpose. Why do we sense a greater reality, and a sense of purpose? It does not aid our survival.. if anything, it is a hindrance to it.

God has put within our lives meanings and possibilities that quite outrun the limits of mortality. ~Harry Emerson Fosdick

You were placed here to train for eternity. Your body was only intended to be a house for your immortal spirit. It is flying in the face of God's purposes to do as many do - to make the soul a servant to the body, and not the body a servant to the soul. ~J. C. Ryle

The inner awareness of eternity is evidence that a Higher Power has infused us with this sense.

Go outside. Leave the cubicles and trappings of human endeavor. There are no walls. The sky extends forever. Turn off the noise snd commotion of meaningless human distractions, that only amuse you temporarily, and have no value for your eternal soul. Look at the stars at night. You are a speck of dust in a massive universe. Yet.. you can feel a higher call.. you know you were meant for something besides this physical world.

Now, close your eyes. Reach beyond the mundane thoughts that clutter your mind. Look as far as you can. This is also a vast space, going on for infinity. There are no walls, and no limits for your mind's eye, as it scans the reaches of infinite inner space. This inner space is as infinite and eternal as the outer one. Both beckon us to our Source. Both the physical world, and the infinite internal realm remind us of the Creator. We did not create ourselves, and we are not meaningless accidents in a random universe.

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world
    . ~C.S. Lewis

This material world has little to offer us, except subsistence. Basic needs met, we feel the becon of eternity. This life is not all there is, and we know it in the deep recesses of our soul. Constant propaganda, sin, mind numbing substances, and the noise of man, can sear our souls, and harden our spiritual sense.

But as we embrace the eternity in our hearts, and respond to this call from our Source, the world continues to be mad, but we begin to understand our part. And if you fully embrace all that the Creator has prepared for us, a fulfillment beyond words brings a Divine Peace, where before there was only darkness and confusion.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. ~Solomon, c.1000 BC
    Yeah. That's TM...
    You're only as good as your last performance.

50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson2 View Post
    Its a difference of perspective.

Through studying the Bible and life experiences, I have decided God exists, Christianity is the Truth, the Bible is God's direct communication to humanity, Jesus came to earth and was crucified and resurrected to provide a means for people to be absolved of their sins.

I accept the miraculous. I accept that the actions of some people are influenced by evil forces (Satan, demons, sin) that are not human. As Paul (Ephesians 6:12) puts it,
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

I have already made some decisions about the Truth and while I am willing to challenge it, to change my mind will take some mighty huge proof.

While some bits of the creation story in Genesis might be simplified, it doesn't mean its not true exactly as written. God was not telling people how to create the Universe so humans could repeat the process, it was just a synopsis.

The real issue though is that there is so much of the Bible that is true that the weight is that Genesis is also true. If there is a bit of Genesis that I don't understand then my rational approach os to assume Genesis is true and I just don't understand it, not to initially assume its false.

What was before the BB is a guess. Nobody knows, there is no way to find out. If you are a Christian you can ask Jesus when you see him in Heaven

How do you know "there is so much of the bible that is true"? The feeding of the 5000, turning water into wine, a Virgin birth, walking on water, Pharaoh's magicians turning sticks into living serpents (and that wasn't even by GOD apparently), many "saints" rising from the dead and being recognized in Jerusalem, etc, etc, etc?

Are those examples of of the "much" in the bible you accept as true? Why would you accept ANY of that as true unless you were PREDISPOSED to believe the bible to begin with?
    "Two possibilities exist - either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. (Arthur C. Clarke)

"I do not object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance" (Amy Farrah Fowler)

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society." ​(Anon.)

Thread Information