User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Truth About Contagion: Exploring Theories of How Disease Spreads

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Thanks

The Truth About Contagion: Exploring Theories of How Disease Spreads

Recently, I bought a book in kindle format with the same title as this thread. I decided to get it based on the fact that I'd been reading various theories that are clearly anathema to the mainstream medical establishment in regards to viruses: 1- Viruses don't exist. Instead, they are only exosomes, which are created by the body for various functions. 2- Viruses do exist, but they are similar to exosomes and are used by the body as a last resort to rid the body of toxins that are so toxic that no other bodily mechanism can deal with them. After reading parts of this book, I've come to believe the first, that viruses are in fact just exosomes. Ofcourse, it's easy to say whatever one likes about viruses, whether it be conventional viewpoints or unconventional ones. The key is to provide evidence for one's viewpoint, so that's what I went looking for and past a certain point, I think it's safe to say that it's easier to buy books on the subject, so that's what I decided to do here. Anyway, this book seems to squarely be in the camp that viruses are exosomes. I wanted to share part of what's written so that you could understand where I'm coming from with my own views and then decide for yourselves whether the evidence I put forth is worth looking into more or not. So with that said, here's the excerpt, from the beginning of Chapter 6 in the book:
    Exosomes

After reading the last two chapters you may be shaking your head in disbelief; you may have so many questions swirling in your mind that you feel disoriented. The main question for us all is how the entire world of medicine, virology, and immunology, along with our political leaders, could have made such an obvious mistake? How could generations of doctors and researchers have become convinced that many of our common diseases are viral in origin?

Let’s first provide the scientific basis for challenging the notion of contagion. As we have said, an in-depth look at the scientific literature reveals no proof of the contagion theory, but the alternate explanations for so-called “bacterial” or “viral” illness do have research behind them. Only Western medicine invokes the concept of contagion—person-to-person transmission of harmful bacteria or viruses. Neither traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) nor Ayurveda (a system of medicine with historical roots in the Indian subcontinent) entertains the concept of contagion. These ancient healing systems look at imbalances, diet and toxins as the causes of disease.

So how did the theory of viral causation come about? During the late 1800s, with the popularity of Pasteur and the increasing materialistic thinking of the age, the germ theory gained popularity. The germ theory explained common observations, such as why drinking sewage water made people sick and why people who share a workspace or household seem to get sick in a similar way at the same time. With the advent and widespread use of the light microscope, scientists and doctors could clearly identify bacteria associated with particular illnesses.

In the nineteenth century, scientists and physicians assumed that the teeming forms they saw in their microscopes caused disease and were hostile to life. In writing On the Origin of Species (published in 1859), Charles Darwin (a contemporary of Pasteur) proposed a theory of evolution in which only the plants and animals best adapted to their environment survive to reproduce. He painted a picture of life in which the various organisms were in constant struggle against each other. Darwin borrowed popular concepts (such as “survival of the fittest”) from sociologist Herbert Spencer and “struggle for existence” from economist Thomas Malthus. The notion of hostility and competition in all of nature fit with attempts to justify the social inequalities, poverty, and sufferings that characterized the dawning Industrial Age. Social Darwinism actually preceded biological Darwinism!

For all the known “infectious” bacterial illnesses, the science points to other accurate explanations—namely starvation and poisoning. However, the microscope gave scientists the ability to find germs at the site of disease. Their observations revolutionized the practice of medicine and our thinking. The microscope allowed medicine to enter a “scientific” age and provide a ready and easy explanation for illness—one that circumvented the more difficult and less profitable work of cleaning up the cities, improving diets, mitigating poverty, and reducing pollution.

However, bacteria are found at the site of disease for the same reason that firemen are found at the site of fires. Bacteria are the cleanup crew tasked with digesting and getting rid of dead and diseased tissues. Claiming that bacteria cause a certain disease is no more reasonable than claiming that firemen cause fires, especially as experimental evidence shows this to be false. Likewise, maggots on a dead dog are there to clean up dead tissue—no one would accuse the maggots of killing the dog. In fact, one therapy for necrotic tissue is maggot therapy (applying maggots to the wound). The maggots kill only the dead tissue; when there is only live tissue left to eat, they die off.

But scientists could not always find an offending bacterium for a specific disease. Louis Pasteur could not find a bacterial agent for rabies, and he speculated about a pathogen too small to be detected using a microscope.1 The same held true for polio—hard as they tried, scientists could find no bacteria at the site of the illness.2 Following Pasteur, and completely wedded to germ theory, they postulated a tiny enemy, something that our technology could not yet visualize. The search was on to find this disease-causing organism.

The eureka moment came with the invention of the electron microscope; scientists finally saw tiny “particles” at the site of disease. These particles had “stuff” inside them, suggesting they were “alive.” They were more abundant in diseased tissue than in healthy tissue (although this is not what Lanka found in algae). There were variations between types of particles, suggesting that one type of particle caused one disease and another particle type caused a different disease. Immediately assuming that these particles were bad for us, scientists named them viruses, after the Latin word for “toxin.”

Further research revealed that these particles often emerged from within the cell; this led to the conclusion that these viruses were not just bad for the cell in which they resided, but they could invade other cells. Scientists surmised that viruses co-opted the “machinery” of the cell like parasites, turning the cells into “slaves,” meaning the cell would do the bidding of its new master, the infecting particle. Like alien invaders in science fiction movies, the particle would come from the outside, inject itself into the cell, take over the genetic machinery of the cell, reproduce itself by the thousands, and then emerge from the cell to continue on its evolutionary path, spreading to take over the world.

The wily virus theory was born—except that what scientists had really discovered with their electron microscopes was not viruses but exosomes. The only thing infectious in this scenario was the noxious belief that these small particles, dubbed viruses, caused disease. This false theory was the part that spread all over the world and is now threatening to kill us all.

Exosomes are simple, well-characterized features in the cells of all creatures, and conventional scientists have carefully elucidated their functions.3 When a living organism is threatened in almost any way— through starvation, chemical poisoning, or electromagnetic effects—the cells and tissues have a mechanism for “packaging,” “propagating” and releasing these poisons. Modern researchers have shown that exosomes have exactly the same attributes as “viruses.” They are the same size, contain the same components, and act on the same receptors.4

HIV researcher James Hildreth, president and CEO of Meharry Medical College and former professor at Johns Hopkins, put it this way: “The virus is fully an exosome in every sense of the word.”5 Exosomes are completely indistinguishable from what the virologists have been calling “viruses.”

Here’s how exosomes work: let’s say you have a poorly nourished organism, then you expose it to a common environmental toxin. The tissues and cells that are affected begin to produce, package, and secrete these poisons in the form of exosomes. This is a way of ridding the cells and tissues of substances that would do it great harm. The greater the exposure to toxic assaults, the more exosomes will be produced.

Studies have shown that if one somehow stops the cells from producing and excreting these exosomes, then the cells and tissues, in fact the organism, will have a worse outcome.6 This research demonstrates that the production and excretion of exosomes is a crucial detoxification function of all cells and tissues.

Source: Morell, Sally Fallon. The Truth About Contagion: Exploring Theories of How Disease Spreads. Skyhorse. Kindle Edition.

There's a lot more on exosomes, bacteria and more in the book, really a wonderful read in my view.
    "Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it."

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 47.0%

Thanks
    Wow.
    So let us stop talkin' falsely now
    The hour's getting late -- Jimi Hendrix

#RESISTBidet

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QuaseMarco View Post
    Okay .... so IMO Germ Theory and Terrain Theory are not mutually exclusive.

Found a good video....explaining what is meant by Terrain Theory
    ................. only sounds like she may be talking to young students.

Thanks for the video :-). Until seeing it, I wasn't sure if some people who believe in the terrain theory also believe that there are contagious viruses. Turns out, some do, such as this woman in the video. So clearly, there are different branches within terrain theory. In any case, the over arching theme is the same- pathogens are not nearly as important as the terrain in an environment to determine whether or not someone will get sick.

There is a doctor who I believe is from New Zealand who also subscribes to terrain theory. in the following video, she doesn't get into whether or not viruses are contagious, but she seems firm in saying that virtually all pathogens are opportunistic, kind of like lions taking down sick animals rather than healthy ones.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenyx For This Useful Post:

QuaseMarco (09-14-2021)

Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenyx View Post
    Thanks for the video :-). Until seeing it, I wasn't sure if some people who believe in the terrain theory also believe that there are contagious viruses. Turns out, some do, such as this woman in the video. So clearly, there are different branches within terrain theory. In any case, the over arching theme is the same- pathogens are not nearly as important as the terrain in an environment to determine whether or not someone will get sick.

There is a doctor who I believe is from New Zealand who also subscribes to terrain theory. in the following video, she doesn't get into whether or not viruses are contagious, but she seems firm in saying that virtually all pathogens are opportunistic, kind of like lions taking down sick animals rather than healthy ones.

Very excellent informative video.... thanks. What a peach! Love her accent.

Just thinking................ there may be genetic factors that cause some to be more susceptible to a particular pathogen as well ?
    Last edited by QuaseMarco; 09-14-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    Good and honest men are in disbelief at the depth of fraud
    and depravity other men are willing to stoop.

QM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to QuaseMarco For This Useful Post:

phoenyx (09-14-2021)

Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Thanks
    Oy.

More crackpot pseudo-science from yet another joker with an English degree.

This person is not a doctor and had never been to medical school, in fact has no biochemical education whatsoever.

As a credentialed and published professional with a thirty year background in biophysics, I can assure you beyond any shadow of a doubt that viruses exist. I've personally seen them with my own two eyes (with the help of a few electrons), they exist.

WHERE IS THE SCIENCE IN THESE IDIOTIC CLAIMS ???

Some crackpot comes out of the woods (literally) and claims to be a nutrition expert, and suddenly she's a scientist?

Once again, WHERE IS THE SCIENCE?

Show me the peer reviewed journal articles, show me even a PROPOSED mechanism for an exosome with a capsid.

Come on people, cut the crap. We have to do better.

Thanks
    Very excellent informative video.... thanks. What a peach! Love her accent.

Just thinking................ there may be genetic factors that cause some to be more susceptible to a particular pathogen as well ?
    Yes, I believe there are as well. But again, I think that these factors are generally minimal, unless we're talking really serious genetically abnormalities, like the 'bubbly boy', David Vetter, who had a very weak immune system from birth:
    David Vetter - Wikipedia

9. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenyx For This Useful Post:

QuaseMarco (09-14-2021)

Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Oy.

This person is not a doctor and had never been to medical school, in fact has no biochemical education whatsoever.

As a credentialed and published professional with a thirty year background in biophysics, I can assure you beyond any shadow of a doubt that viruses exist. I've personally seen them with my own two eyes (with the help of a few electrons), they exist.

WHERE IS THE SCIENCE IN THESE IDIOTIC CLAIMS ???

Some crackpot comes out of the woods (literally) and claims to be a nutrition expert, and suddenly she's a scientist?

Once again, WHERE IS THE SCIENCE?

Show me the peer reviewed journal articles, show me even a PROPOSED mechanism for an exosome with a capsid.

Come on people, cut the crap. We have to do better.
    What are you taking about? She is a medical doctor and she never said that pathogens and viruses don't exist.
    I guess you didn't watch the whole video.....?

Dr Sam Bailey
    Medical author & health educator. After training and practicing within the medical system for two decades, she commenced a new phase of understanding and promoting health as a wider concept.

She was a practicing GP for in the ChristChurch area of New Zealand.
    Last edited by QuaseMarco; 09-14-2021 at 08:23 PM.

QM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to QuaseMarco For This Useful Post:

phoenyx (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Oy.

I don't know who you're referring to by "this person", so I will assume that you are referring to the author of the book after which this thread is named. I'll let start off with an about page:

Dr. Tom Cowan discovered the work of the two men who would have the most influence on his career while teaching gardening as a Peace Corps volunteer in Swaziland, South Africa. He read Nutrition and PhysicalDegeneration by Weston A.Price, as well as Rudolf Steiner’s work on biodynamic agriculture. These events inspired him to pursue a medical degree. Tom graduated from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine in 1984. After his residency in Family Practice at Johnson City Hospital in Johnson City, New York, he set up an anthroposophical medical practice in Peterborough, New Hampshire. Dr. Cowan relocated to San Francisco in 2003.
    Dr. Cowan has served as vice president of the Physicians Association for Anthroposophical Medicine and is a founding board member of the Weston A. Price Foundation™. During his career he has studied and written about many subjects in medicine. These include nutrition, anthroposophical medicine and herbal medicine. He is the author of three books published by Chelsea Green: Cancer and the New Biology of Water; Vaccines, Autoimmunity and the Changing Nature of Childhood Illness, and Human Heart, Cosmic Heart. He is the principal author of The Fourfold Path to Healing, which was published in 2004 by New Trends Publishing, and is the co-author of The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care, published in 2013. He has lectured throughout the United States and is a frequent guest on health-related podcasts. He has three grown children and six grandchildren and practices medicine in San Francisco, where he resides with his wife, Lynda Smith.
    Dr. Cowan sees patients at his office in San Francisco and is accepting new patients.

Source:
    https://fourfoldhealing.com/pages/about-us

Now, in the original, one can click on the last "new patients" bit. If one does, it takes you to a page that says:
    "Thank you for your interest in our practice. Due to Dr. Cowan's retirement, we are no longer accepting new patients."

So what happened? It's an interesting story, and, sadly, getting to be fairly common for any doctor that dares to question the status quo:
    Hot Alternative Doc Cowan Censured By CA Medical Authorities

by David Gumpert | Jun 28, 2017 |

Over the last 15 years, Thomas Cowan has established himself as a hot alternative doc who handles complex health challenges ranging from hyperthyroid conditions to digestive and metabolic problems to cancer.
    It is this last matter, cancer, that has landed the founding board member of the Weston A. Price Foundation in very deep in hot water—he had his medical license revoked in California earlier this year for “unprofessional conduct” and “gross negligence”; the revocation was stayed as part of a five-year probation agreement, during which he must be supervised by another physician, known as a “practice monitor,” and be “prohibited from providing cancer treatment to patients,” according to the “settlement and disciplinary agreement.” He must also take a number of medical-related courses on prescribing medications and keeping proper records.
    It is almost certainly a bitter pill to swallow for the doc who has drawn patients from around the country and around the world to line up for his $350 initial phone consultations—no insurance accepted. I say “almost certainly” because Cowan declined via email to comment on the agreement he signed, or to speak with me about it. In fact, he said his “preference would be to leave it alone.”

I decided to write about it in part because of his prominence in the alternative field. I have met a number of people from around the country who have consulted with him—nearly always by telephone.
    I also decided to write about it because it’s unusual for the medical establishment to go after one of its own, unless the offenses are truly offensive to those running things. The medical authorities very likely thought long and hard before going after Cowan, since he has been outspoken in a couple of books and in talks he gives about his view of the failings of conventional approaches for any number of health issues
    [snip]

It's a good article, and continues with a lot more interesting information here:
    Hot Alternative Doc Censured

13. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenyx For This Useful Post:

QuaseMarco (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    What are you taking about? She is a medical doctor and she never said that pathogens and viruses don't exist.
    I guess you didn't watch the whole video.....?

Dr Sam Bailey
    Medical author & health educator. After training and practicing within the medical system for two decades, she commenced a new phase of understanding and promoting health as a wider concept.

She was a practicing GP for in the ChristChurch area of New Zealand.

Yeah, who knows what he's going on about -.- Maybe he's talking about the woman in the Terrain vs. Pathogen video?
    Last edited by phoenyx; 09-14-2021 at 08:31 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenyx For This Useful Post:

QuaseMarco (09-14-2021)

Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenyx View Post
    Yeah, who knows what he's going on about -.- Maybe he's talking about the woman in the Terrain vs. Pathogen video?
    Oh... that must be it..... but even she did not deny that pathogens exist.

QM

17. The Following User Says Thank You to QuaseMarco For This Useful Post:

phoenyx (09-15-2021)

Thread Information