User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Holes Are Connected To Racial Blackness, Cornell U Course Says

Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks

Black Holes Are Connected To Racial Blackness, Cornell U Course Says

https://www.dailywire.com/news/black...aign=dwtwitter

An astronomy course at prestigious Cornell University, concerned about racism in the universe, not just Planet Earth, asked the deathless question: Is there a connection between the cosmos and the idea of racial blackness?
    As famed author Heather Mac Donald, who has written numerous books, including The War on Cops, writes in City Journal, the course, titled Black Holes: Race and the Cosmos, notes in the catalog description that conventional wisdom asserts that the black in black holes has nothing to do with race, but astronomy professor Nicholas Battaglia and comparative literature professor Parisa Vaziri suggest the truth may be otherwise.

The catalog description reads:
    Conventional wisdom would have it that the black in black holes has nothing to do with race. Surely there can be no connection between the cosmos and the idea of racial blackness. Can there? Contemporary Black Studies theorists, artists, fiction writers implicitly and explicitly posit just such a connection. Theorists use astronomy concepts like black holes and event horizons to interpret the history of race in creative ways, while artists and musicians conjure blackness through cosmological themes and images. Co-taught by professors in Comparative Literature and Astronomy, this course will introduce students to the fundamentals of astronomy concepts through readings in Black Studies. Texts may include works by theorists like Michelle Wright and Denise Ferreira da Silva, authors like Octavia Butler and Nalo Hopkinson, music by Sun Ra, Outkast and Janelle Mone. Astronomy concepts will include the electromagnetic spectrum, stellar evolution, and general relativity.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." ~ Miss Clara

Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining.Teddy Roosevelt

Send a maniac to catch one. -- John Spartan

Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Conservative Libertarian (06-22-2021),dinosaur (06-22-2021),donttread (06-22-2021),Foghorn (06-22-2021),nonsqtr (06-22-2021)

Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran

Thanks
    The level of hate & weaponized stupidity is akin to a bottomless pit in which the left is trying push everyone into that they keep falling down. A never ending abyss of utter foolishness.

This is beyond Planet Of The Apes. This is Planet Of The Violently Stupid.
    Last edited by Knightkore; 06-22-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." ~ Miss Clara

Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining.Teddy Roosevelt

Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-22-2021),Conservative Libertarian (06-22-2021),Foghorn (06-22-2021)

Senior Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 86.0%

Thanks
    hey .. why not. Astronomers need to virtue signal too. Maybe their class size was dwindling and they needed to update their curriculum.
    WARN YOUR FRIENDS. PROTECT YOUR FAMILY.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (06-22-2021),Knightkore (06-22-2021),Neo (06-22-2021)

Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post

An astronomy course at prestigious Cornell University, concerned about racism in the universe, not just Planet Earth, asked the deathless question: “Is there a connection between the cosmos and the idea of racial blackness?”
    As famed author Heather Mac Donald, who has written numerous books, including “The War on Cops,” writes in City Journal, the course, titled “Black Holes: Race and the Cosmos,” notes in the catalog description that “conventional wisdom” asserts that the “‘black’ in black holes has nothing to do with race,” but astronomy professor Nicholas Battaglia and comparative literature professor Parisa Vaziri suggest the truth may be otherwise.

Conventional wisdom would have it that the “black” in black holes has nothing to do with race. Surely there can be no connection between the cosmos and the idea of racial blackness. Can there? Contemporary Black Studies theorists, artists, fiction writers implicitly and explicitly posit just such a connection. Theorists use astronomy concepts like “black holes” and “event horizons” to interpret the history of race in creative ways, while artists and musicians conjure blackness through cosmological themes and images. Co-taught by professors in Comparative Literature and Astronomy, this course will introduce students to the fundamentals of astronomy concepts through readings in Black Studies. Texts may include works by theorists like Michelle Wright and Denise Ferreira da Silva, authors like Octavia Butler and Nalo Hopkinson, music by Sun Ra, Outkast and Janelle Mone. Astronomy concepts will include the electromagnetic spectrum, stellar evolution, and general relativity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (06-22-2021)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Thanks
    i thought they be talking bout black hoes...
    "The nose, knows"

"Negros were like animals and they turned the streets into jungles
    joe biden.

Covid=$
    "The Emperor Wears No Clothes"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Big Dummy (06-22-2021),Foghorn (06-22-2021),Knightkore (06-22-2021),Neo (06-22-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post

An astronomy course at prestigious Cornell University, concerned about racism in the universe, not just Planet Earth, asked the deathless question: “Is there a connection between the cosmos and the idea of racial blackness?”
    As famed author Heather Mac Donald, who has written numerous books, including “The War on Cops,” writes in City Journal, the course, titled “Black Holes: Race and the Cosmos,” notes in the catalog description that “conventional wisdom” asserts that the “‘black’ in black holes has nothing to do with race,” but astronomy professor Nicholas Battaglia and comparative literature professor Parisa Vaziri suggest the truth may be otherwise.

Conventional wisdom would have it that the “black” in black holes has nothing to do with race. Surely there can be no connection between the cosmos and the idea of racial blackness. Can there? Contemporary Black Studies theorists, artists, fiction writers implicitly and explicitly posit just such a connection. Theorists use astronomy concepts like “black holes” and “event horizons” to interpret the history of race in creative ways, while artists and musicians conjure blackness through cosmological themes and images. Co-taught by professors in Comparative Literature and Astronomy, this course will introduce students to the fundamentals of astronomy concepts through readings in Black Studies. Texts may include works by theorists like Michelle Wright and Denise Ferreira da Silva, authors like Octavia Butler and Nalo Hopkinson, music by Sun Ra, Outkast and Janelle Mone. Astronomy concepts will include the electromagnetic spectrum, stellar evolution, and general relativity.
    You have got to be kidding me!!!

Is this a surreptitious Onion article?
    So let us stop talkin' falsely now
    The hour's getting late -- Jimi Hendrix

#RESISTBidet

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oceander For This Useful Post:

Knightkore (06-22-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceander View Post
    You have got to be kidding me!!!

Is this a surreptitious Onion article?
    I wish. Completely true.

https://classes.cornell.edu/browse/r...ass/ASTRO/2034
    Last edited by Knightkore; 06-22-2021 at 11:01 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

Oceander (06-22-2021)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    I think this is creative advertising. Someone is trying to generate interest in a course that is probably boring as hell.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (06-22-2021),Knightkore (06-22-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
    i thought they be talking bout black hoes...
    The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule. H.L. MENCKEN

All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land. WILLIAM KINGDON CLIFFORD

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Foghorn (06-22-2021),Knightkore (06-22-2021),Rutabaga (06-22-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post

Thread Information