User Tag List

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 141718192021222324
Results 231 to 236 of 236

Thread: An Ugly Hideous Monstrous Interpretation Of Matthew 7:13-14

  1. #231
    Alumni Member Forum Donor Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocial50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 67.0%

    Knightkore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edgar Friendly's Underground Hideout
    Posts
    41,287
    Thanks
    118,091
    Thanked: 43,726
    Rep Power
    21474884
    "Everyone's always trying to leave Jesus out, which is one reason we're in the mess we're in." ~ Miss Clara

    “Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining.”Teddy Roosevelt

    Send a maniac to catch one. -- John Spartan

    Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightkore For This Useful Post:

    pjohns (06-11-2021)

  3. #232
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    pjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,632
    Thanks
    7,862
    Thanked: 2,663
    Rep Power
    3961248
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightkore View Post
    That is a quite good article, contained in the link. (I am a bit unsure, however, as to the meaning of the words, "[the Bible] has more manuscript witnesses with the lowest percentage (1%) of variance." Exactly how that measurement has been obtained, I really do not know.)

    I should probably note that there are two entirely different types of variations:

    (1) Sometimes it is just a single word, and the meaning of that word is really not in question. (As, for instance, when one manuscript says "he"--or, more precisely, the Greek word for "he"--whereas another says "Jesus"; and the reference, in context, is quite obviously to Jesus.

    (2) Sometimes it is an entire verse--or even a large number of verses--that are in question. (A good example is the so-called "Long Conclusion" to Mark--i.e. Mark 16:9-20--which is not included in any of the older and better manuscripts; and which, therefore, is not included--except in brackets, or with a footnote, or both--in most versions of the New Testament.)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

    Knightkore (06-14-2021)

  5. #233
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    pjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,632
    Thanks
    7,862
    Thanked: 2,663
    Rep Power
    3961248
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Let's say we have a disagreement about a Bible verse, and you say it means one thing and I say it means another.

    So we discuss, and we each ask each other "where's the evidence?"

    You point me to Paul and his letter to the Corinthians, and I tell you "Paul didn't get it, and here's why" - and I point you to human nature, kind of, "the way human beings are wired". You can see it with your own eyes, tens upon thousands of millions of people all wired the same way. "Human nature".

    So now, how would you weigh this evidence?

    One man's opinion, against thousands of examples you can see with your own eyes?
    Christians do not view Paul's writings as a mere "man's opinion," but as the inspired word of God--directed by the Holy Spirit.

    Now, some may disagree.

    But is it really quite fair, intellectually, to ascribe to others what they really do not believe, in debating a matter (in this case, that it is just a "man's opinion")?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

    Knightkore (07-13-2021)

  7. #234
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    pjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,632
    Thanks
    7,862
    Thanked: 2,663
    Rep Power
    3961248
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    If you read the Gospel of Thomas, you will see quite clearly the difficulty the students had in understanding the teachings of the Master.

    Why would you quote a piece of pseudepigrapha, in an attempt to bolster your case?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

    Knightkore (07-15-2021)

  9. #235
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    pjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,632
    Thanks
    7,862
    Thanked: 2,663
    Rep Power
    3961248
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    The error-prone "Common" and "Standard" translations like CEB, CJB, and CSB that @Knightkore referenced in the other thread are all recent, they're turn-of-the-century.

    They're NOT better, they're actually much worse. They're full of errors, opinions, and agendas.
    Exactly what "errors" do you believe that they are "full of"?

    Note: Merely citing a difference with the KJV certainly does not substantiate an error.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

    Knightkore (07-15-2021)

  11. #236
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 21.0%

    pjohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,632
    Thanks
    7,862
    Thanked: 2,663
    Rep Power
    3961248
    Quote Originally Posted by SharetheHedge View Post
    What I'm getting at is that IF the NT truly contradicts the OT in any way, the NT can't be right. So if there was Greek/Roman influence in the NT, I am very suspicious of what that might imply doctrinally...
    I do not begin with religious beliefs, and then use reason to try to rationalize them. Rather, I begin with reason.

    And what I gave, as regarding II Peter 2:4, is a reasoned analysis of the verse.

    Note: I am not a fundamentalist; so anything that might contradict fundamentalist Christianity, really does not bother me.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to pjohns For This Useful Post:

    Knightkore (07-15-2021)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •