User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the vapid materialism of the 2010s kill interest in space and the future?

Overall activity: 0%

Thanks

Did the vapid materialism of the 2010s kill interest in space and the future?

It seems like back in the late 2000s and early 2010s interest in space and the future declined while materialism increased.

After “Battlestar Galactica” ended in 2009 TV show producers seemed to have no interest in making anything set in space but were more than happy to make a billion reality shows.

It was sad that sci fi shows based on Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Mars Trilogy” and Iain M. Banks “Culture” universe have had a hard time getting into Orbit to metaphorically speak during the 2010s.

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/24/amazo...-in-the-works/

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...87221688258560

Did materialism kill the American spirit of adventure? Or did the economic inequality cause society to stop dreaming?

Last edited by TranquilityBase; 05-04-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 53.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TranquilityBase View Post
    It seems like back in the late 2000s and early 2010s interest in space and the future declined while materialism increased.

After “Battlestar Galactica” ended in 2009 TV show producers seemed to have no interest in making anything set in space but were more than happy to make a billion reality shows.

It was sad that sci fi shows based on Kim Stanley Robinson’s “Mars Trilogy” and Iain M. Banks “Culture” universe have had a hard time getting into Orbit to metaphorically speak during the 2010s.

Did materialism kill the American spirit of adventure? Or did the economic inequality cause society to stop dreaming?

Subversive control over the minds of young people caused this. In the UK and US, most children now say that they want to be YouTube bloggers when they grow up. In China, the #1 answer is astronaut. China doesn't allow western media in it's borders, and I can't say I blame them if the end result is kids have no interest in science, yet worship empty, vacuous YouTube stars.

UK children would rather grow up to be YouTubers than go to space, poll finds | The Independent | The Independent
    "I will never vote for Donald Trump because I stand with free markets and religious freedom and personal responsibility. Donald Trump stands against all of these things. He stands for trade restrictions and and an anti-morality foreign policy and government domination of religion and nastiness toward women and tacit appeals to racism and unbounded personal power. I stand with conservatism. Donald Trump stands against it. I stand with #NeverTrump."
    - Ben "Phony" Shapiro, March 4, 2016

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hermannsdenkmal For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (05-05-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Battlestar Galactica stunk. Just sayin'...
    It's not how you find the notes...it's how your fingers leave them. That's who you are.

3 months registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 60.0%

Thanks
    I have never been interested in space because as far as I know there are no hot chicks up there.

I did not watch the Battlestar Galactica reboot. I do remember the hot blonde chick from the ads.

Anyway - I prefer hard science fiction to stuff like Battlestar Galactica.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 67.0%

Thanks
    What is space but a giant vacuum for tax dollars to get sucked into?

Military in orbit is a worthy goal, but even they know how to waste money like a rapper on a coke binge in a strip club.
    The desire to rule is the mother of heresies.
    St. John Chrysostom

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

Oberon (05-05-2021),Old Ridge Runner (05-05-2021)

Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Outside of some mining of resources, I agree space is a big waste of time and effort outside of satellites and weather observations. I was a big science fiction fan in my youth, but I never believed in the fiction of it being livable in real life, and like Sagan and few others I don't think it's a good idea to assume any advance life out there is automatically going to be friendly and we should probably not advertise ourselves.

I also find it hilarious that many think the elites would care about 'humanity' to the extent of expending mega-trillions and immense effort to settle billions of peasants on hostile environment planets when they can just develop lots of robots and unleash nasty viruses on the unwashed masses and have a garden world to themselves without all that bother, which I think is really the plan with the most appeal among the Davos Set.
    Last edited by Oberon; 05-05-2021 at 12:40 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oberon For This Useful Post:

JMWinPR (05-05-2021),Old Ridge Runner (05-05-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    Space is not a waste of money. Heres a simple fact:

No matter how green or frugal you become, we WILL INEVITABLY one day exhaust the material resources and available land and water of this planet, which WILL lead to the extinction of humans. We are usign the planets resources, much of which cant be renewed (Renewable resources, contrary to the Looney lefties claim, is a myth, because of the laws of physics and entropy. )

The only way to survive as a species is to expand out into the vast, limitless spaces and resources of the Universe. Having human populations on multiple planets is the best way to ensure survival of the species. What for example if Covid had been 100% fatal in all humans,l and 100 times more infectious? we would now almost certainly be extinct or close to extinct. On the other hand, in that scenario, if we had human populations on the Moon and Mars, and maybe other planets, we would survive planet wide catastrophes.

It doesn't even make sense not to. Its like living in a 1000 room mansion, and continuing to all live in just one room, despite having more and more kids. The Universe has unlimited space and unlimited resources. If we stay here, on this one planet, we die out.

As for alien environments, we adapt. Adaption is one thing we excel at, its what gave us the edge 10 million years ago. You realise, for example, the technology already exists to enable rats to breathe oxygen rich water for a few minutes. That can be improved to create water breathing for humans, along with some genetic engineering.
    Last edited by UKSmartypants; 05-05-2021 at 04:07 AM.
    For Official use only. Please do not write in this space.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. The Following User Says Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Old Ridge Runner (05-05-2021)

Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TranquilityBase View Post

That's because Battlestar Galactica was a horrible flop and no one wanted to throw money at sci fi for a while, there was a lot more money in super heros.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

Oberon (05-05-2021)

Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 63.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Space is not a waste of money. Heres a simple fact:

No matter how green or frugal you become, we WILL INEVITABLY one day exhaust the material resources and available land and water of this planet, which WILL lead to the extinction of humans. We are usign the planets resources, much of which cant be renewed (Renewable resources, contrary to the Looney lefties claim, is a myth, because of the laws of physics and entropy. )

The only way to survive as a species is to expand out into the vast, limitless spaces and resources of the Universe. Having human populations on multiple planets is the best way to ensure survival of the species. What for example if Covid had been 100% fatal in all humans,l and 100 times more infectious? we would now almost certainly be extinct or close to extinct. On the other hand, in that scenario, if we had human populations on the Moon and Mars, and maybe other planets, we would survive planet wide catastrophes.

It doesn't even make sense not to. Its like living in a 1000 room mansion, and continuing to all live in just one room, despite having more and more kids. The Universe has unlimited space and unlimited resources. If we stay here, on this one planet, we die out.

As for alien environments, we adapt. Adaption is one thing we excel at, its what gave us the edge 10 million years ago. You realise, for example, the technology already exists to enable rats to breathe oxygen rich water for a few minutes. That can be improved to create water breathing for humans, along with some genetic engineering.
    Not only that, it should be a high priority.

Over population is at the root of a lot of ills.

Overall activity: 24.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    Not only that, it should be a high priority.

Over population is at the root of a lot of ills.
    Yes. They can eat moon rocks and make nutritious drinks from Mars dirt.

Thread Information