User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midlife Crisis

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 66.0%

Thanks

Hell FH, you have not even started yet!

I remember turning 30, and I was stunned that I had lived that long. I really felt that I had not taken enough risks and gotten far enough. 7 years later I was in business for myself.

To add to that I had a real rough patch when I was 21, but by the time I was a university senior the path became clearer and a hell of a lot more real, removing self doubt.

Keep you head down and work, you only get to do this degree once. Learn the game and play to win.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Foghorn (05-05-2021),Lone Gunman (05-04-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Wait until something BIG & BAD comes along and you'll wish for these days.........
    It's not how you find the notes...it's how your fingers leave them. That's who you are.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Lone Gunman (05-04-2021),NORAD (05-06-2021)

Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 61.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameHeart View Post
    Can someone over 30 please tell me it's going to be okay? I just entered my mid 20's (24 on April 22nd) and I feel like time is running out, that I should have accomplished more. I'm still trying to complete undergrad with at least 3 more semesters to go.

I'm in a midlife crisis
    I didn't get to college full time till about 27. But once in, I graduated with high honors at a good state engineering school and earned multiple awards, twenty some patents, and good salary in my profession for the next 25-30 years.

Not that its all easy. I went through 2 divorces and am more or less alienated from my only sister because of family issues. I've been shot and underwent major surgery, I have cancer that I cannot get rid of. But life goes on and I try to make the best of it. I've kinda lived a full life and can't say I would trade my life for anyone else's.

You aren't at your "midlife" point yet. But yes.... there are crises in every age. Try to push on, one day at a time till you break through into better days.
    Last edited by Call_me_Ishmael; 05-05-2021 at 12:04 AM.
    " salute the marines "
    "salute the marines"

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

Daily Bread (05-05-2021),FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Foghorn (05-05-2021),NORAD (05-06-2021),Oceander (05-05-2021),potlatch (05-05-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 93.0%

Thanks
    Doors will open for you, often unexpectedly.

Make yourself ready to walk through when they do.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foghorn For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Northern Rivers (05-05-2021)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks
    Can someone over 30 please tell me it's going to be okay? I just entered my mid 20's (24 on April 22nd) and I feel like time is running out, that I should have accomplished more. I'm still trying to complete undergrad with at least 3 more semesters to go.

I'm in a midlife crisis
    Nope. You're a long way from midlife.

You're less than half my age (many of our ages) and I'm not even considered "old" in the circles, life and online, that I move in.

Midlife crisis. I can only speak as a man. I have no sisters, my ex walked out long before we got to midlife...but here's how it went down for me, pretty typical.

You hit That Age. You're tired more easily. Maybe the hairline is going back, or - in spite of all the work - the gut grows ever larger. You can work less, drink less, sleep less. And tolerate less - your capacity for BS shrinks.

The pursuit (or potential pursuit) of women decreases in importance, or even interest. Yawn.

Your mind stops working around where you'll go with your life, and starts thinking about where you'll go in retirement. Or how or whether you get there.

The bank account is a bit bigger. AND, you stop worrying so much about **THE FUTURE**. You maybe buy a few toys you had always wanted. Maybe you want to repeat a trip you took when young (I did try, to return to Alaska) or pick up an old hobby (I did; I celebrated my 50th birthday by buying a motorcycle. I hadn't ridden in twenty years prior. A few days later, when my boss pricked off to me, I quit - right on the spot).

The Midlife Crisis is when the reality of the future, meets the self-image of the past, in a cloud of denial. The beautiful young women you see, and many of them not really that young...still are young enough to call you, "mister." You would really like an ice-cream cone...but the doctor doesn't allow it, and anyway, you look ridiculous with it.

I imagine...it comes younger for a woman; probably around menopause; but you're a long ways away, still.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Foghorn (05-05-2021),NORAD (05-06-2021),Northern Rivers (05-05-2021)

Not capable of thinking V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class3 months registeredOverdrive
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    I took a long break from school and finished my undergrad degree at 42.

My classmates didn't even call me grandpa. You'll be fine.
    Last edited by Authentic; 05-05-2021 at 01:50 AM.
    What if he was a lesbian outlaw, half Ellen Degenerate and half Antifa?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Authentic For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Foghorn (05-05-2021),NORAD (05-06-2021),Northern Rivers (05-05-2021),Oceander (05-05-2021)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 94.0%

Thanks
    To me 30 was the perfect age.....Old enough to know better but still young enough to do it.

I might add a man knows he's getting old when all the pretty young cashiers or waitress's call you sweetie or say, hey, handsome.
    Last edited by East of the Beast; 05-05-2021 at 06:18 AM.
    C'mon,man.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to East of the Beast For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Foghorn (05-05-2021),Oceander (05-05-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 43.0%

Thanks
    Gosh if I could go back & tell my 20's me a thing or two...

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old Tex For This Useful Post:

Call_me_Ishmael (05-05-2021),East of the Beast (05-05-2021),FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Foghorn (05-05-2021),Oceander (05-05-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks

I'm in a midlife crisis
    Don't know enough about you with the limited description you posted, to offer any specific advice.

First, you're 24. You're not having a mid life crisis, unless you're planning on dying by 50. Hoping that's not the case.

Fact is, it depends on why you've just begun college at 23 years old. If it took you 5 years to figure out a direction in life, that's no big deal. You're young and you have you're whole life ahead of you and in the big picture 5 years is nothing. If you have a goal and required the education your major offers to meet that goal, and you're working hard to use every opportunity to accomplish what have planned for, you're fine and yes, it's going to be fine!

BUT, if you started college at 23 without a plan/specific goal in mind, and are just using it to procrastinate, taking another 4 years to figure out a direction for yourself, (only you can answer that question), without a plan of how the specific major, education your getting in the 4 years will lead to a realistic chance of employment after college, then there's a good chance you may regret how you spent those 4 years. Basically, if you don't know the exact type of job you'll be qualified for, with an exact job in mind that will employ you, while your starting your journey to prosperity, you may have to rethink the way you're using your time.

Mind you, I'm not saying you have to pick something and stick to it for the rest of your life, I'm only saying that when you choose to go to college, you have to have a plan that includes realistically getting employment after you graduate. The kind of employment that will get you a specific job, in a specific field, that you would not be able to get and prosper in, without such education. It doesn't have to be the final plan, or the best plan, but you do have to have some kind of plan in mind with a specific purpose. The plan can change to a better plan along the way, but at minimal, you should know that after you graduate, you will be able to get a job in a specific field.

Point is, is that when you graduate at 27, you need to have a full time job, making good money. If you're not happy in your career choice, the money you're making will give you independence and the opportunity to make a career change while actually living your life while being productive. If you graduate without being able to get a good paying full time job, with the money that will give you the independence and self sufficiency a 27 year old needs, the chances of you finding a better career with the prosperity you desire, are slim.

So, if you've got the plan, you're being productive with your life, you should be confident that time is NOT running out.

If you don't have a specific plan right now, make one. Pick a career to start life after graduation with. One year into college is not too late to get on a good productive track for a good productive future filled with prosperity.
    Last edited by msc; 05-05-2021 at 07:01 AM.
    Can't we all just get along!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to msc For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Thanks

I'm in a midlife crisis

My grandfather on my father's side of the family had a career in the postal service and retired as postmaster of a post office. From that point on he opened a real estate business and died a fairly wealthy man. There is plenty of time. Lots and lots of time. Work hard. Good luck.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fmw For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (05-05-2021),Foghorn (05-05-2021)

Thread Information