User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can You Say "MISTRIAL" ?

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
    In order to get a mistrial, some appeals judge has to side with the defense in declaring a mistrial.

Ain't gonna happen. Wokeness is like mass insanity. I don't think we've seen anything like this since the Salem witch trials.
    I love people who predict the future. Do you do that professionally or are you just an amateur?

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    Feds Had Backup Plan to Arrest and Charge Derek Chauvin ...

I never took a side, I still don't - that's what the court is for. But politics tainted the whole thing, there's no doubt. I doubt he could have gotten a fair trial no matter what.
    That's exactly why we shouldn't have allowed them to take the Constitutional protection against double jeopardy away. The leftists are redefining the Constitution out of existence. Remember, the corrupt, senile pervert in the White House said that no amendment is absolute. That would seem to indicate the Democrat Party, the party of the KKK, is planning on bringing back slavery in spite of the 13th Amendment. When it abolished slavery that certainly didn't mean that it was absolute and Democrats couldn't buy slaves on the open market.
    Last edited by patrickt; 05-04-2021 at 06:40 AM.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassSocial3 months registered
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    That's exactly why we shouldn't have allowed them to take the Constitutional protection against double jeopardy away. The leftists are redefining the Constitution out of existence. Remember, the corrupt, senile pervert in the White House said that no amendment is absolute. That would seem to indicate the Democrat Party, the party of the KKK, is planning on bringing back slavery in spite of the 13th Amendment. When it abolished slavery that certainly didn't mean that it was absolute and Democrats couldn't buy slaves on the open market.
    It was never taken away. The States and the federal government are two separate sovereigns, each, within its own sphere of power, able to enact laws defining offenses, violations of which can be punished by the sovereign who enacted the law. The spheres of power of the two sovereigns overlap, with the result that both a State and the federal government, in lawful exercise of its granted (or retained) power, may define as an offense the same set of operative facts, and each may prosecute an individual for violating that offense, without regard to whether the other has, or will, also prosecute.
    So let us stop talkin' falsely now
    The hour's getting late -- Jimi Hendrix

#RESISTBidet

Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    Feds Had Backup Plan to Arrest and Charge Derek Chauvin ...

I never took a side, I still don't - that's what the court is for. But politics tainted the whole thing, there's no doubt. I doubt he could have gotten a fair trial no matter what.
    This whole thing is just stupid. Trump really blew this one, it was his biggest mistake in office. Had he gotten ahead of the curve there wouldn't even have been a Chauvin murder trial.

Since when do they need a grand jury to press civil rights charges? Every state has civil rights laws too, if they can bring murder charges they can bring civil rights charges too. Did you ever wonder why the State of Minnesota didn't do that?

Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 35.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    Third degree murder under Minnesota law does not require intent.
    These crazy kids, they never listen.

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    I love people who predict the future. Do you do that professionally or are you just an amateur?

No, purely amateur. But I like to predict things.

I predict we'll have a sunrise tomorrow. I predict we'll have a White Christmas in December in Montana.

And I predict that this poor SOB will not get a mistrial ruled.

All three are easy to predict.

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks

New trial coming up

A juror who voted to convict former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin of murdering George Floyd is defending his decision to attend a social justice demonstration last year.
    Getty Images Chauvin juror on attending protest: 'It was a good opportunity to be a part of something'"I'd never been to D.C.," juror Brandon Mitchell told The Associated Press, referring to a march to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

"The opportunity to go to D.C., the opportunity to be around thousands and thousands of Black people; I just thought it was a good opportunity to be a part of something," he added.
    A photo of Mitchell at the event was recently recirculated by critics who suggested he was not an impartial member of the jury panel.
    During the jury selection process, the AP noted, all jurors were asked two questions as part of a jury selection questionnaire.
    "Did you, or someone close to you, participate in any of the demonstrations or marches against police brutality that took place in Minneapolis after George Floyd's death?" the first asked, with the second asking: "Other than what you have already described above, have you, or anyone close to you, participated in protests about police use of force or police brutality?"
    Mitchell reportedly answered "no" to both questions.
    Mitchell separately told Chauvin's attorney during the jury selection process that he had a "very favorable" opinion of the Black Lives Matter movement and that some police officers are "great guys." He insisted he could be impartial during the trial.

Chauvin juror on attending protest: 'It was a good opportunity to be a part of something' (msn.com)
    Last edited by Trinnity; 05-04-2021 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spam link removed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillofbeans For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (05-04-2021)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Thanks
    Chauvin is cold and callous thug with a badge but this juror was biased

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hillofbeans For This Useful Post:

dinosaur (05-04-2021),Freewill (05-04-2021),Kodiak (05-04-2021),Oceander (05-04-2021)

Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 44.0%

Thanks
    The jury I sat on, which decided whether or not a farmer was adequately compensated for the land taken from him to build an interstate highway, took more time deliberating and discussing the evidence than the Chauvin jurors took. Just sayin'.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dinosaur For This Useful Post:

Freewill (05-04-2021),Hillofbeans (05-04-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassSocial3 months registered
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillofbeans View Post
    A juror who voted to convict former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin of murdering George Floyd is defending his decision to attend a social justice demonstration last year.
    Getty Images Chauvin juror on attending protest: 'It was a good opportunity to be a part of something'"I'd never been to D.C.," juror Brandon Mitchell told The Associated Press, referring to a march to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

"The opportunity to go to D.C., the opportunity to be around thousands and thousands of Black people; I just thought it was a good opportunity to be a part of something," he added.
    A photo of Mitchell at the event was recently recirculated by critics who suggested he was not an impartial member of the jury panel.
    During the jury selection process, the AP noted, all jurors were asked two questions as part of a jury selection questionnaire.
    "Did you, or someone close to you, participate in any of the demonstrations or marches against police brutality that took place in Minneapolis after George Floyd's death?" the first asked, with the second asking: "Other than what you have already described above, have you, or anyone close to you, participated in protests about police use of force or police brutality?"
    Mitchell reportedly answered "no" to both questions.
    Mitchell separately told Chauvin's attorney during the jury selection process that he had a "very favorable" opinion of the Black Lives Matter movement and that some police officers are "great guys." He insisted he could be impartial during the trial.

Chauvin juror on attending protest: 'It was a good opportunity to be a part of something' (msn.com)

Sounds like he lied to the court during voir dire.

That may, in fact, constitute grounds for a new trial. According to the Supreme Court, the standard - at least in federal courts - is that a party may be able to obtain a new trial if that party can "demonstrate that a juror failed to answer honestly a material question on voir dire, and then further show that a correct response would have provided a valid basis for a challenge for cause." McDonough Pwr. Equip. v. Greenwood, 464 U.S. 548 (1984).

It remains to be seen whether the Minnesota state courts apply the same, or a substantially similar, rule.
    So let us stop talkin' falsely now
    The hour's getting late -- Jimi Hendrix

#RESISTBidet

Thread Information