User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ten Commandments...

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.3%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks

Ten Commandments...

I thought this was interesting.

"As the Christian story goes, the Ten Commandments of God were handed down to Moses as the set moral rules for humanity. Even in the 21st Century, these Biblical rules provide an ongoing foundation for what people deem acceptable in modern society. And while a majority of US adults say that most of the tenets remain important today, there are significant differences—and moments of consensus—between religious and non-religious Americans.
    "YouGov research indicates that US Adults overall are more likely to say every commandment is “an important principle to live by” rather than an unimportant principle.

"The top Commandments that are still accepted as important in America today: don’t murder (91%), don't steal (90%), don't bear false witness (88%), don't commit adultery (81%), honor father and mother (77%), and do not covet another person’s possessions (73%).

"The least popular Commandment for modern significance is to keep the Sabbath holy (47%), according to the survey—which asked Americans about the King James Bible’s translation of the Ten Commandments."
    The Politics Forums

Personally, the house-keeping commandments that demand bowing down are sad but some of the others I question. After years of dealing with child abuse, I'm all for honoring fathers and mothers who have earned some sort of honor. Otherwise, it's like honoring LBJ, Bill Clinton, or Joe Biden just because they went to the White House. I've known parents where both should have been sterilized with a rusty lid from a tin can.

Another I quarrel with is the prohibition on coveting. I think coveting is fine if you want to buy the thing you covet or buy one similar. Simply wanting it isn't a problem for me. Specifically, if you covet my female servant I think it's entirely acceptable for you to offer her a higher wage, health insurance, and a pension plan to get her to be your servant. It is not acceptable for you to kidnap her.

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks

Ten Commandments...

I thought this was interesting.

"As the Christian story goes, the Ten Commandments of God were handed down to Moses as the set moral rules for humanity. Even in the 21st Century, these Biblical rules provide an ongoing foundation for what people deem acceptable in modern society. And while a majority of US adults say that most of the tenets remain important today, there are significant differences—and moments of consensus—between religious and non-religious Americans.
    "YouGov research indicates that US Adults overall are more likely to say every commandment is “an important principle to live by” rather than an unimportant principle.

"The top Commandments that are still accepted as important in America today: don’t murder (91%), don't steal (90%), don't bear false witness (88%), don't commit adultery (81%), honor father and mother (77%), and do not covet another person’s possessions (73%).

"The least popular Commandment for modern significance is to keep the Sabbath holy (47%), according to the survey—which asked Americans about the King James Bible’s translation of the Ten Commandments."
    The Politics Forums

And, in case you've forgotten:
    "
    The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:2-17 NKJV)
    1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
    2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
    3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
    4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
    5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
    6 “You shall not murder.
    7 “You shall not commit adultery.
    8 “You shall not steal.
    9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
    10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Personally, the house-keeping commandments that demand bowing down are sad and don't speak well of a god but some of the others I question. After years of dealing with child abuse, I'm all for honoring fathers and mothers who have earned some sort of honor. Otherwise, it's like honoring LBJ, Bill Clinton, or Joe Biden just because they went to the White House. I've known parents where both should have been sterilized with a rusty lid from a tin can.

Another I quarrel with is the prohibition on coveting. I think coveting is fine if you want to buy the thing you covet or buy one similar. Simply wanting it isn't a problem for me. Specifically, if you covet my female servant I think it's entirely acceptable for you to offer her a higher wage, health insurance, and a pension plan to get her to be your servant. It is not acceptable for you to kidnap her.

Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    God didn't take a poll before he gave us his commandments.
    " salute the marines "
    "salute the marines"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Call_me_Ishmael For This Useful Post:

pjohns (05-03-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Ishmael View Post
    God didn't take a poll before he gave us his commandments.
    He must have checked with someone to make sure that your failure to keep the Sabbath holy resulting in not only you but your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren going to hell would be okay with you.

Now, if you skip a Sunday are your children who will go to hell because of you still required to honor you?

Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
    He must have checked with someone to make sure that your failure to keep the Sabbath holy resulting in not only you but your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren going to hell would be okay with you.

Now, if you skip a Sunday are your children who will go to hell because of you still required to honor you?
    I don't want to argue with you or get into your stream of consciousness debate, my (otherwise, in many topics) forum friend.
    " salute the marines "
    "salute the marines"

Truth Seeker, Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Overall activity: 94.0%

Thanks

You know the answer to that patrickt, the children are not responsible for what the parents failed to do. As to the question about Lust. It is a desire to have what others have and not controlling it can lead to other sins. Lusting for the other's wife might lead to adultery and lusting for material things might lead to stealing. Other than that I don't know but having too much 'lust' will just make you an unhappy person.

Sorry, I ended up mentioning Lust instead of Coveting....
    Last edited by potlatch; 05-03-2021 at 02:40 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to potlatch For This Useful Post:

darroll (05-03-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 39.0%

Thanks
    Go back and read Scripture again, Keeping the Sabbath is commanded for Israel, not anyone else... Christians use Sunday to celebrate the resurrection of Christ from the dead. Sunday also happens to be the last day of the week if you consider that the work week begins on Monday in modern times (at least here in the US and a lot of other places)
    The Pharisees were BIG on following the law but Christ was always reminding them that while they may look pristine on the outside they were totally discusting on the inside

Matthew 23:35 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
    Israel was meant to be the light of the world going out and teaching the rest of the world. They instead rebelled against God and rejected the messiah that was foretold in Scripture. Don't get me wrong, Israel will be redeemed during the tribulation and they will come to realize what they did.

They are going to be fooled one last time though, by the Anti-Christ at the beginning of the Tribulation when he enforces an existing treaty and will allow the 3rd temple..

also let us not forget

1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat them.

2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”

3 Jesus replied, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry?

4 He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread,a which was not lawful for them to eat, but only for the priests.

5 Or haven’t you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and yet are innocent?

6 But I tell you that something greater than the temple is here.

7 If only you had known the meaning of ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’b you would not have condemned the innocent.

8 For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.”
    Last edited by yeuemmaimai; 05-04-2021 at 07:01 AM.
    Bring out your dead- The monster is amongst us waiting to be revealed - he bears the number of a man, 666.
    Death is not racist as it is
    color blind it comes for us all regardless of age or standing
    has no remorse, or feels pity
    cannot be reasoned with nor bargained with
    it is coming for us all.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    Created Blog entry50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Thanks
    Regarding the 10 Commandments;
    Are We Under the Old Mosaic Law given to the Nation of Israel?
    What does the BIBLE SAY. . .

The Law was not given to all humankind. Jehovah God made a covenant, or an agreement, with the descendants of Jacob, who became the nation of Israel. Jehovah gave his laws to this nation only. The Bible makes this clear at Deuteronomy 5:1-3 and Psalm 147:19, 20.

The apostle Paul asked the question: “Why, then, the Law?” Yes, for what purpose did Jehovah give his law to Israel? Paul answered: “To make transgressions manifest, until the seed should arrive to whom the promise had been made . . . Consequently the Law has become our tutor [or, teacher] leading to Christ.” (Galatians 3:19-24) The special purpose of the Law was to protect and guide the nation of Israel so that they might be ready to accept Christ when he arrived. The many sacrifices required by the Law reminded the Israelites that they were sinners who needed a Savior.—Hebrews 10:1-4.

“CHRIST IS THE END OF THE OLD LAW COVENANT”

Jesus Christ, of course, was that promised Savior, even as the angel proclaimed at his birth. (Luke 2:8-14) So when Christ came and gave his perfect life as a sacrifice, what happened to the Law? It was removed. “We are no longer under a tutor,” Paul explained. (Galatians 3:25) The removal of the Law was a relief to the Israelites. It had shown them up as sinners, for all of them fell short of keeping that Law perfectly. “Christ by purchase released us from the curse of the Law,” Paul said. (Galatians 3:10-14) So the Bible also says: “Christ is the end of the Law.”—Romans 10:4; 6:14.

The Law actually served as a barrier or “wall” between the Israelites and other peoples who were not under it. By the sacrifice of his life, however, Christ “abolished . . . the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, that he might create the two peoples [Israelite and non-Israelite] in union with himself into one new man.” (Ephesians 2:11-18) Concerning the action that Jehovah God himself took toward the law of Moses, we read: “He kindly forgave us all our trespasses and blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees [including the Ten Commandments] and which was in opposition to us [because of condemning the Israelites as sinners]; and He has taken it out of the way by Jesus's Impalement .” (Colossians 2:13, 14) So, with the perfect sacrifice of Christ, the Law was brought to an end.

Some persons, however, say that the Law is divided into two parts: The Ten Commandments, and the rest of the laws. The rest of the laws, they say, are what ended, but the Ten Commandments remain. Yet this is not true. In his Sermon on the Mount Jesus quoted from the Ten Commandments as well as other parts of the Law and made no distinction between them. Jesus thus showed that the law of Moses was not divided into two parts.—Matthew 5:21-42.

Notice, too, what the apostle Paul was inspired by God to write: “Now we have been discharged from the Law.” Was it only the laws other than the Ten Commandments that the Jews were discharged from? No, for Paul goes on to say: “Really I would not have come to know sin if it had not been for the Law; and, for example, I would not have known covetousness if the Law had not said: ‘You must not covet.’” (Romans 7:6-7; Exodus 20:17) Since “You must not covet” is the last one of the Ten Commandments, it follows that the Israelites were discharged from the Ten Commandments also.

Does this mean that the law to keep a weekly Sabbath, which is the fourth of the Ten Commandments, was also removed? Yes, it does. What the Bible says at Galatians 4:8-11 and Colossians 2:16-17 shows that Christians are not under God’s law given to the Israelites, with its requirement to keep the weekly Sabbath and to observe other special days in the year. That keeping a weekly Sabbath is not a Christian requirement can also be seen from Romans 14:5.
    LAWS THAT APPLY TO CHRISTIANS

Does this mean that, since Christians are not under the Ten Commandments, they do not need to observe any laws? Not at all. Jesus introduced a “new covenant,” based on the better sacrifice of his own perfect human life. Christians come under this new covenant and are subject to Christian laws. (Hebrews 8:7-13; Luke 22:20) Many of these laws have been taken from the law of Moses. This is not unexpected or unusual. A similar thing often happens when a new government takes over the rule of a country. The constitution under the old government might be canceled and replaced, but the new constitution may keep many of the laws of the old one. In a similar way, the Law covenant came to an end, but many of its basic laws and principles were adopted into Christianity.

Note how this is the case as you read the Ten Commandments, and then compare them with the following Christian laws and teachings: “It is Jehovah your God you must worship.” (Matthew 4:10; 1 Corinthians 10:20-22) “Guard yourselves from idols.” (1 John 5:21; 1 Corinthians 10:14) “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified [not treated in a worthless way].” (Matthew 6:9) “Children, be obedient to your parents.” (Ephesians 6:1, 2) And the Bible makes clear that murder, committing adultery, stealing, lying and coveting are also against the laws for Christians.—Revelation 21:8; 1 John 3:15;Hebrews 13:4; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7; Ephesians 4:25, 28; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Luke 12:15; Colossians 3:5.

Although Christians are not commanded to keep a weekly Sabbath, we learn something from that arrangement. The Israelites rested in a literal way, but Christians must rest in a spiritual way. How? Because of faith and obedience true Christians leave off doing selfish works. These selfish works include efforts to establish their own righteousness. (Hebrews 4:10) This spiritual rest is observed not only one day a week but for all seven days. The requirement of the literal Sabbath law to set aside one day for spiritual interests protected the Israelites from selfishly using all their time to seek their own material advantage. Applying this principle every day in a spiritual way is an even more effective guard against materialism.

So Christians are urged to “fulfill the law of the Christ,” rather than to keep the Ten Commandments. (Galatians 6:2) Jesus gave many commands and instructions, and by our obeying them we are keeping or fulfilling his law. In particular, Jesus stressed the importance of love. (Matthew 22:36-40; John 13:34, 35) Yes, to love others is a Christian law. It is the basis of the entire law of Moses, as the Bible says: “The entire Law stands fulfilled in one saying, namely: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’”—Galatians 5:13, 14; Romans 13:8-10.

The law given through Moses, with its Ten Commandments, was a righteous set of laws from God. And even though we are not under that law today, the divine principles behind it are still of great value to us. By studying and applying them we will grow in appreciation for the great Lawgiver God. But especially should we study and apply in our lives Christian laws and teachings. Love for God will move us to obey all that he now requires of us.—1 John 5:3.
    Last edited by S-N-A-F-U; 05-04-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by potlatch View Post
    You know the answer to that patrickt, the children are not responsible for what the parents failed to do. As to the question about Lust. It is a desire to have what others have and not controlling it can lead to other sins. Lusting for the other's wife might lead to adultery and lusting for material things might lead to stealing. Other than that I don't know but having too much 'lust' will just make you an unhappy person.

Sorry, I ended up mentioning Lust instead of Coveting....
    For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to patrickt For This Useful Post:

potlatch (05-04-2021)

Truth Seeker, Alumni Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive
    Overall activity: 94.0%

Thanks
    For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
    It's hard to understand why God would punish the children, grandchildren, etc. I've always lived with the belief that God is good and loves us all in spite of our failings. But He knows what's in our hearts.

We know He said He is a jealous God and in the words you posted the MAIN explanation is in the words "those who love me" and "those who hate me". We can believe in God and love Him and still fail at keeping all of the Commandments, but He knows what's in our hearts and we were given the chance to confess our sins and be forgiven.

Thread Information