User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Will We Keep Our Republic?

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    According to the historians the quote was that of Benjamin Franklin. Starting with the " I agree to this Constitution........"

Anyway, the ones that I have read state it as such.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 95.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWF View Post
    According to the historians the quote was that of Benjamin Franklin. Starting with the " I agree to this Constitution........"

Anyway, the ones that I have read state it as such.
    The quote “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty” is often mistakenly attributed to the Irish lawyer and politician John Philpot Curranand frequently to Thomas Jefferson. In fact, Curran’s line was somewhat different. What he actually said, in a speech in Dublin on July 10, 1790, was:
    “The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance.”
    And, according to Jefferson scholars there is “no evidence to confirm that Thomas Jefferson ever said or wrote, ‘Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty’ or any of its variants.”
    thisdayinquotes.com

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 20.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWF View Post
    That was Franklin's closing remarks at the Constitutional Convention. He was indicating, after vigorous opposition to some aspects of it, that he was prepared to accept the compromises and was endorsing the work.

And it was well that he chose to do it at the close, because he was in ill health - he couldn't even read his own remarks, they were read for him.

The full text is HERE: Benjamin Franklin: Closing Speech at the Constitutional Convention — The Patriot Post

The exerpt:

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does; and I think it will astonish our enemies, who are waiting with confidence to hear that our councils are confounded like those of the Builders of Babel; and that our States are on the point of separation, only to meet hereafter for the purpose of cutting one another's throats. Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. The opinions I have had of its errors, I sacrifice to the public good. I have never whispered a syllable of them abroad. Within these walls they were born, and here they shall die. If every one of us in returning to our Constituents were to report the objections he has had to it, and endeavor to gain partizans in support of them, we might prevent its being generally received, and thereby lose all the salutary effects & great advantages resulting naturally in our favor among foreign Nations as well as among ourselves, from our real or apparent unanimity. Much of the strength & efficiency of any Government in procuring and securing happiness to the people, depends, on opinion, on the general opinion of the goodness of the Government, as well as well as of the wisdom and integrity of its Governors. I hope therefore that for our own sakes as a part of the people, and for the sake of posterity, we shall act heartily and unanimously in recommending this Constitution (if approved by Congress & confirmed by the Conventions) wherever our influence may extend, and turn our future thoughts & endeavors to the means of having it well administred.

The phrase "vote themselves money" or "vote largesse out of the public coffers" appears nowhere in that long speech. The above is just one paragraph of it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

CWF (05-03-2021),Earl (05-03-2021)

50000 Experience Points1 year registeredTagger First ClassSocial
    Overall activity: 95.0%

Thanks
    “The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money”
    -Alexis De Tocqueville

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Useful Post:

CWF (05-03-2021)

50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Thanks
    Unless Biden is unsuccessful with getting his spending plans approved and suddenly closes the border (doubtful) .... I give us 12-18 months before Economically the Chit hits the fan.

INFLATION is already showing up EVERYWHERE. Autos....food....energy......housing......commodit ies costs all are already moving UP and soon will be reflected in manufactured goods. The CPI does not and will not accurately capture it all. Listened to Warren Buffet from over the weekend who also stated inflation is showing up EVERYWHERE. As you know BH holdings are spread amongst many sectors including Housing, manufacturing and retail.

Powell thinks inflation will hover around 2.5% and be transitionary (temporary) as the economy continues to open up but again the CPI will not accurately capture the true inflation rate.

Also with all the money being printed ...... spending in DC........ all the free money being handed out there is great demand for products. Supply chains are currently very disrupted and vast shortages are on the horizon. New Liberal regulatory restraints will further impact the supply chain on everything from Lumber to fossil fuels to commodities to food.

The Fed will be unable to fight this inflation and inflation will win. The Fed couldn't possibly raise interest rates enough to counter 5....6....7% inflation without dumping treasuries and creating a financial crisis bigger that 2008.

Economically the stage is set for a hard fall.

Add in great political divisions and unrest in major cities........ world adversaries like China, Russia, and Iran ready to bloody our nose around the world....... and a hyper radical political left.......along with economic challenges the stage for our demise or significant hardships is well set and not far off.

Lastly understand the morality and patriotism that served us well during The Great Depression and WWII no longer exists. So our ability to handle such hardships as those in the past....today is doubtful.

I really feel sorry for our youth of today. They have no idea what is ahead.....what life is without social media, cell phones, an an abundance of available food and products.
    Last edited by What'sThat?; 05-03-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 34.0%

Thanks
    Doubtful, in my opinion.

I think our best hope is to RECLAIM or, rebuild, a new Republic from the ashes that will be left, after a time of Civil conflict, Totalitarian rule, or both.

Republics last for abut 200 years. As such, we are past our expiration date.
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Swedgin For This Useful Post:

JustPassinThru (05-03-2021)

50000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Thanks
    the mid term election cycle will put the lid on our coffin.
    Republicans will take house and there will be open revolt in the streets caused by the democratic antifa/BLM army. Results will be hot civil war and after the country is decimated the Chinese will walk in by January 2023 we will be a part of the CCP

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 61.0%

Thanks
    Lettin the DemoCommies burn it all down is givin them the WIN not creating a new situation

50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteran
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darroll View Post
    I don't think so.
    People don't like people in other countries. Look how much the word racist is being used. You stay in your country and I will stay in mine thinking
    I was going to tee off on him myself.......but read his signature. It's a prediction, not a wish. I hope he's wrong. I like tribalism, and Patrick can kiss my nasty bung hole.
    Last edited by navigator2; 05-04-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    https://media3.giphy.com/media/s8lZxA5Jmempa/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Thread Information