User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain the difference between a spam link and a regular link?

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 99.0%

Thanks

Can someone explain the difference between a spam link and a regular link?

Trinnity has been trying to explain it to me, but I still don't get it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenyx For This Useful Post:

valley ranch (04-29-2021)

ADMIN IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Thanks
    This is an example of spam links.
    Spam backlinks, also known as bad backlinks, toxic backlinks or unnatural backlinks, are links from low-quality or spam websites.

Spam backlinks are, well, spammy because they lower your website’s ranking. Such bad backlinks tell Google that your site probably doesn’t have the quality or content to get links on its own.

Spam backlinks can also lead to a Google Penguin penalty, which can affect your website’s traffic big time.

In terms of specific SEO metrics, spam backlinks will likely have one or more of the following characteristics:

https://monitorbacklinks.com/blog/seo/spam-backlinks
    The last link is the source link. I've spent about 2 hours explaining this to you. Spam links can cause your thread to suffer glitches and lock up.

This was your post that contained a spam link:

Source:
    One Vaccine to Rule Them All | The Atlantic

Here's what I've learned- the pharmaceutical companies have really gotten a good thing going with this vaccine business, why end the gravy train now? Just persuade everyone that the solution is more vaccines ad infinitum and hey, cha ching. And if those vaccines make it more likely to get Covid variants, no worries, they'll just make more vaccines for them too. Reminds me of the old lady who swalloewd a fly:
    There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - Wikipedia
    In your post, the first link is the source. The second is a spam link. The third (incidentally) is an off topic reference and by its nature as superfluous, is spammy.

But it's the second post that's specifically objectionable as SPAM.
    Last edited by Trinnity; 04-28-2021 at 09:40 PM.
    Freedom takes NO. No to one Party rule, no to election fraud, no to political fear mongering, no to lockdowns and mandates that violate your Civil Rights.
    Say no and mean it.
    ~
    Respect the rules of the Forum.

<< Forum RULES >>

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (04-29-2021),Conservative Libertarian (04-30-2021),Old Ridge Runner (04-29-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 36.0%

Thanks
    The only way that I know to avoid this is weak.

Only include source links and break all the other links.

Is there a reasonable way to apriori tell if a link is spammy?

Interesting topic.
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (04-29-2021),Conservative Libertarian (04-30-2021),Old Ridge Runner (04-29-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnity View Post
    This is an example of spam links.
    Spam backlinks, also known as bad backlinks, toxic backlinks or unnatural backlinks, are links from low-quality or spam websites.

Spam backlinks are, well, spammy because they lower your website’s ranking. Such bad backlinks tell Google that your site probably doesn’t have the quality or content to get links on its own.

Spam backlinks can also lead to a Google Penguin penalty, which can affect your website’s traffic big time.

In terms of specific SEO metrics, spam backlinks will likely have one or more of the following characteristics:

https://monitorbacklinks.com/blog/seo/spam-backlinks

The last link is the source link. I've spent about 2 hours explaining this to you. Spam links can cause your thread to suffer glitches and lock up.

This was your post that contained a spam link:
    Source:
    One Vaccine to Rule Them All | The Atlantic

Here's what I've learned- the pharmaceutical companies have really gotten a good thing going with this vaccine business, why end the gravy train now? Just persuade everyone that the solution is more vaccines ad infinitum and hey, cha ching. And if those vaccines make it more likely to get Covid variants, no worries, they'll just make more vaccines for them too. Reminds me of the old lady who swalloewd a fly:
    There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - Wikipedia
    In your post, the first link is the source. The second is a spam link. The third (incidentally) is an off topic reference and by its nature as superfluous, is spammy.

But it's the second post that's specifically objectionable as SPAM.
    Alright, here's the issue- the link that you are calling a spam link is a link to a thread in this very site. Are you saying that this site is a low quality or spam site? As to your comment on the third link, I suppose it could be seen as an off topic reference, though I certainly didn't see it that way when I linked it. I was drawing a connection between the pfizer vaccine, which seems to cause one to become more vulnerable to a certain Covid variant, and the old lady who swallowed a fly, who kept on swallowing things after she swallowed a fly to cure herself of the last thing she swallowed. Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that others would catch the reference though. In fairness though, there are articles out there regarding Covid and its consequences that simply assume that the reference is understood:
    https://off-guardian.org/2021/01/22/...allowed-a-fly/
    Last edited by phoenyx; 04-29-2021 at 12:43 AM.

ADMIN IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Thanks
    Ma'am, if you can't or won't abide by how we post, you shouldn't be here. If you continue to spam I'll infract you. The decision is yours.
    Freedom takes NO. No to one Party rule, no to election fraud, no to political fear mongering, no to lockdowns and mandates that violate your Civil Rights.
    Say no and mean it.
    ~

<< Forum RULES >>

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (04-29-2021),Captain Kirk! (04-29-2021),Conservative Libertarian (04-30-2021),Dr. Felix Birdbiter (05-13-2021)

Leftists are scum V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 65.0%

Thanks
    Ma'am, if you can't or won't abide by how we post, you shouldn't be here. If you continue to spam I'll infract you. The decision is yours.
    IIRC that's what got her jammed up "over there".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Kirk! For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (04-29-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Hunter View Post
    The only way that I know to avoid this is weak.

Only include source links and break all the other links.
    Even that doesn't work. All links point to the source of something.

Thanks
    First of all, I'm a guy. Second of all, I'm disappointed that you've opted to possibly infract in the future simply because you can't properly explain your own rule. Cleary, I'm not the only one who finds it overly vague. But you're the boss.
    Last edited by phoenyx; 04-29-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First ClassSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Thanks
    Seems pretty simple: for starters, just KISS - provide the non-forum source for the article you're discussing, and leave it at that.

Also, be careful of just cutting and pasting text from another webpage - the editor on the forum is a WYSIWYG editor, and it will incorporate all manner of styling that was embedded in the source webpage. The simplest way to avoid this is to first paste the text you've copied into a simple text editor, like notepad, then highlight that text and copy it again, and then paste the second copy into the forum's editor.

That simple step will strip all hidden styling and formatting from the text.
    Last edited by Oceander; 04-29-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    So let us stop talkin' falsely now
    The hour's getting late -- Jimi Hendrix

#RESISTBidet

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oceander For This Useful Post:

12icer (04-29-2021),BooBoo (04-29-2021),Conservative Libertarian (04-30-2021),potlatch (04-29-2021)

ADMIN IT Staff
    Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenyx View Post
    First of all, I'm a guy. Second of all, I'm disappointed that you've opted to possibly infract in the future simply because you can't properly explain your own rule. Cleary, I'm not the only one who finds it overly vague. But you're the boss.
    Simply copy and paste as plain text. Most people understand that w/o being told.
    Say no and mean it.
    ~

<< Forum RULES >>

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trinnity For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (04-29-2021),Conservative Libertarian (04-30-2021),potlatch (04-29-2021),Sunsettommy (05-08-2021)

Thread Information