User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: There is a place for Counselors/SW'ers in the police department

  1. #1
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    donttread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    7,556
    Thanks
    4,598
    Thanked: 7,215
    Rep Power
    8303012

    There is a place for Counselors/SW'ers in the police department

    Follow ups on DV, drug related, OD, MH situations. after the fact follow ups by phone and appt so that people can access short term help without the cost and hassel.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    dinosaur (04-19-2021)

  3. #2
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 56.0%

    Big Dummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    27,365
    Thanks
    66,714
    Thanked: 43,891
    Rep Power
    21474868
    For as long as I can remember, the police are a separate government entity from social workers. When a domestic call has threat of violence you send the cops. When the violence has been deescalated, a social worker takes over. This exposes the problem with most cops. They bring a military attitude and often background to policing. Their answer to violence for them is to meet it with superior violence. I admit I resorted to that tactic more than once. But I also deescalated situations more often with brainpower not having to resort to violence. I have had praise from responding officers for both methods. So I do know what I’m talking about.
    Last edited by Big Dummy; 04-19-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.
    Aristotle

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Dummy For This Useful Post:

    dinosaur (04-19-2021),donttread (04-20-2021)

  5. #3
    Alumni Member & VIP Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 35.0%

    nonsqtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    35,296
    Thanks
    15,296
    Thanked: 38,438
    Rep Power
    21474879
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    For as long as I can remember, the police are a separate government entity from social workers. When a domestic call has threat of violence you send the cops. The the violence has been deescalated, a social worker takes over. This exposes the problem with most cops. They bring a military attitude and often background to policing. The answer to violence for them is to meet it with superior violence. I admit I resorted to that tactic more than once. But I also deescalated situations more often with brainpower not having to resort to violence. I have had praise from responding officers for both methods. So I do know what I’m talking about.
    "Brainpower"?

    Most cops are weasels, they're not be trusted.

    Their idea of brainpower ranges from entrapment to extracurricular vigilantism.

    Never let a cop talk you into anything.

    The correct thing to say to a police officer in any domestic situation is: you stay on THAT side of the door till you get a warrant.

    Under no circumstances allow them to talk you outside. Call your lawyer FIRST.

    The way the law is today, you're likely to get strung up for domestic violence just for looking at someone sideways, and it'll ruin half your life.

    DON'T obey the police unless you have a reason to.

    Sorry man, cops are kneeling with the commies these days, I'm just telling it like it is.
    Last edited by nonsqtr; 04-19-2021 at 08:53 PM.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to nonsqtr For This Useful Post:

    dinosaur (04-19-2021)

  7. #4
    Senior Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 48.0%

    dinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    9,814
    Thanks
    20,764
    Thanked: 20,402
    Rep Power
    21474850
    I think the problem comes in that most police agencies that handle the types of calls we are discussing are local, city or county. Then, the social services are mostly at the state level. At least that has been my experience. It is the handoff from local to state that results in the dropped ball. Most of the state agencies have local county offices, so it should not be a problem, but those employees may have a different set of priorities and focus.

    I get the feeling that probably a lot of the crime/police contact is related to mental illness problems. Since the states eliminated their mental health institutions, they are no longer well equipped to handle those issues, and they fall through the cracks. Everyone expects the medical community and drugs to handle the issue, and the drugs fail, either for lack of consistent and proper use, or other reasons.

    Adding more SWJs in the police department is not going to be helpful, IMO. You are going to create conflicts within the department.

    I liken it to my robotic experience in the factory. When a robot wasn't doing exactly what it was supposed to do, maintenance was called. After a few tests, they blame software and programming, and leave. The programmers show up, do a few tests, call the maintenance people dummies, and call them back to fix the mechanical/electrical problem.

    I will say, when I managed the department, both the electrical repair team and programming team were under the same management. Sometimes it was like being a parent, but with some skill, all of the siblings started working together pretty well. SJW types in the police department might be a future solution, but just don't do it expecting everything to be peaches and cream. Start by training the managers (higher ups) to be able to mediate and get the teams to work together. And those police that are always in harms way, they ain't gonna do well if you start managing them with SJW managers.

  8. #5
    Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialVeteran
    Overall activity: 56.0%

    Big Dummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    27,365
    Thanks
    66,714
    Thanked: 43,891
    Rep Power
    21474868
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
    "Brainpower"?

    Most cops are weasels, they're not be trusted.

    Their idea of brainpower ranges from entrapment to extracurricular vigilantism.

    Never let a cop talk you into anything.

    The correct thing to say to a police officer in any domestic situation is: you stay on THAT side of the door till you get a warrant.

    Under no circumstances allow them to talk you outside. Call your lawyer FIRST.

    The way the law is today, you're likely to get strung up for domestic violence just for looking at someone sideways, and it'll ruin half your life.

    DON'T obey the police unless you have a reason to.

    Sorry man, cops are kneeling with the commies these days, I'm just telling it like it is.
    Reading comprehension please. I used brainpower to deescalate violent situations. Cops don’t understand that concept well enough.
    It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.
    Aristotle

  9. #6
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    donttread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    7,556
    Thanks
    4,598
    Thanked: 7,215
    Rep Power
    8303012
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dummy View Post
    For as long as I can remember, the police are a separate government entity from social workers. When a domestic call has threat of violence you send the cops. When the violence has been deescalated, a social worker takes over. This exposes the problem with most cops. They bring a military attitude and often background to policing. Their answer to violence for them is to meet it with superior violence. I admit I resorted to that tactic more than once. But I also deescalated situations more often with brainpower not having to resort to violence. I have had praise from responding officers for both methods. So I do know what I’m talking about.

    The advantage of having both in the same agency is decreasing barriers to treatment . For longer term services they could be referred out and the ?SW'er could do some of the case work to make it a smooth transition. Sw'ers or counselors have no business on the call itself.
    Yes deescalation is a skill one I tend to be good at myself. I'm not sure what the technical term is but I refer to it as looping where you have essentially the same conversation with the wired up person gradually decreasing the volume and anger.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

    Big Dummy (04-20-2021)

  11. #7
    Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 24.0%

    donttread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    7,556
    Thanks
    4,598
    Thanked: 7,215
    Rep Power
    8303012
    Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    I think the problem comes in that most police agencies that handle the types of calls we are discussing are local, city or county. Then, the social services are mostly at the state level. At least that has been my experience. It is the handoff from local to state that results in the dropped ball. Most of the state agencies have local county offices, so it should not be a problem, but those employees may have a different set of priorities and focus.

    I get the feeling that probably a lot of the crime/police contact is related to mental illness problems. Since the states eliminated their mental health institutions, they are no longer well equipped to handle those issues, and they fall through the cracks. Everyone expects the medical community and drugs to handle the issue, and the drugs fail, either for lack of consistent and proper use, or other reasons.

    Adding more SWJs in the police department is not going to be helpful, IMO. You are going to create conflicts within the department.

    I liken it to my robotic experience in the factory. When a robot wasn't doing exactly what it was supposed to do, maintenance was called. After a few tests, they blame software and programming, and leave. The programmers show up, do a few tests, call the maintenance people dummies, and call them back to fix the mechanical/electrical problem.

    I will say, when I managed the department, both the electrical repair team and programming team were under the same management. Sometimes it was like being a parent, but with some skill, all of the siblings started working together pretty well. SJW types in the police department might be a future solution, but just don't do it expecting everything to be peaches and cream. Start by training the managers (higher ups) to be able to mediate and get the teams to work together. And those police that are always in harms way, they ain't gonna do well if you start managing them with SJW managers.

    I don't see why the couldn't be largely disconnected from the policing. Really an attempt to have at least one healing conversation with victims and even perps sometimes both of which are currently rare. On the other hand counselors read people well and one story from one client doesn't mean much but if they hear that reports don't tell the whole story of what went down from multiple clients and they connect to certain officiers soemthing will be said which of course could create tension. Perhaps in a few cases needed tension

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •