User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding a Roman Legion

Senior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered50000 Experience Points
    Overall activity: 53.0%

Thanks

Feeding a Roman Legion

I just came across this channel on youtube called 'Tasting History with Max Miller' and I like it. Youtube suggested his hardtack video to me recently and I almost clicked on it and tonight youtube suggested his Posca and Laridum video which I did click on. Generally I cannot stand cooking shows/channels and I especially hate so-called 'foodies' but this guy is good because his channel seems to be more history than cooking. And I found this video to be more interesting than the majority of ancient history channels I watch on youtube that seem to only ever go over stuff that everybody already knows. I thought that somebody here might like the channel too so im posting the video.

Apparently April is Rome Month on this guys channel and it is sponsored by Creative Assembly who are releasing Rome Total War Remastered at end of month which I did not know. I dont really like the newer Total War games - Rome and Medieval 2 are pretty much the only video games I play so Im pretty excited about Rome Total War being remastered. I actually owned Medieval Total War before original Shogun Total War but Ive been playing series since early 2000s and I have owned Rome Total War and Barbarian Invasion a number of times because I lose them or whatever but I own it on steam ( and Total War Medieval 2 - Definitive Edition ) now and I always go back to it because its the best. The promo for remastered version says new version will have enhanced visual and new gameplay content which is pretty exciting.

Oh yeah.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

Common (04-19-2021),Lone Gunman (04-19-2021),Rutabaga (04-19-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Thanks
    Roman Armies lived off the land, largely speaking, and either bought, stole or looted what food they needed, depending on if they were arsed or not about upsetting the locals. They usually carried salt and gold to pay for stuff.
    For Official use only. Please do not write in this space.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UKSmartypants For This Useful Post:

Common (04-19-2021),Lone Gunman (04-19-2021),Northern Rivers (04-19-2021),Rutabaga (04-19-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 69.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSmartypants View Post
    Roman Armies lived off the land, largely speaking, and either bought, stole or looted what food they needed, depending on if they were arsed or not about upsetting the locals. They usually carried salt and gold to pay for stuff.
    Centurians always had the locals...serving as Legionnaires...enter these towns at the head of the Cohort. There was usually never any trouble on the homeland peninsula. Troublemakers ended up in The Colosseum.
    It's not how you find the notes...it's how your fingers leave them. That's who you are.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (04-19-2021)

Super Moderator Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 97.0%

Thanks
    In the leanest of times, Roman Soldiers were fed tuscan bread, which is dry and salt free and small strips of any wild meat they could find.
    Feeding a legion of 10,000 men is no small feat and they needed a small army to get it all done for after battles.

In better times herds of food would follow the legion along with carts filled with other foods. That becomes impossible with long distances.

Whenever the opportunity arose they looted and took whatever they wanted..

To be clear it wasnt only the romans that lived like this...all armies had to eat and do whatever it took to feed them
    ALL LIVES MATTER My Life, your life, our childrens lives, all childrens lives. Making it only SOME lives matter, divides us and fosters hatred and violence

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Lone Gunman (04-19-2021),Rutabaga (04-19-2021),TheOneOnly2 (04-19-2021)

Alumni V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    I'd kind of like to know the secret to Roman concrete, it's still around VS ours which crumbles in 50 years or less, I'm wondering if it's high in iron and calcium, possibly carbon.

I'm wondering if conquered peoples were the "emulsifier" being thrown into the mixing vat as more fluid was needed and as it was laid down Roman soldiers literally walked on their enemies.

They seem like the type to have done something like that.
    #NEVERAPOLOGIZE

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frankenvoter For This Useful Post:

Common (04-19-2021),Foghorn (04-19-2021),Lone Gunman (04-19-2021),Rutabaga (04-19-2021),TheOneOnly2 (04-19-2021)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenvoter View Post
    I'd kind of like to know the secret to Roman concrete, it's still around VS ours which crumbles in 50 years or less, I'm wondering if it's high in iron and calcium, possibly carbon.

I'm wondering if conquered peoples were the "emulsifier" being thrown into the mixing vat as more fluid was needed and as it was laid down Roman soldiers literally walked on their enemies.

Long time ago I read how the romans made concrete, which actually wasnt concrete as we know it. It was a mixture of crushed volcanic rock and powder with sand and a natural binding agent. Unlike our concrete that starts to breakdown after 25 yrs if mixed right...The romans concrete lasted 3-6 yrs before it broke down. Still it was amazingly innovative for the time...but lets not forget the Sphinxs

I believe no matter what period of time going back to the beginning whatever or whenever it was, the world had humans that were exceptional and creative and inventive.
    ALL LIVES MATTER My Life, your life, our childrens lives, all childrens lives. Making it only SOME lives matter, divides us and fosters hatred and violence

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Frankenvoter (04-19-2021),Lone Gunman (04-19-2021)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    In the leanest of times, Roman Soldiers were fed tuscan bread, which is dry and salt free and small strips of any wild meat they could find.
    Feeding a legion of 10,000 men is no small feat and they needed a small army to get it all done for after battles.

In better times herds of food would follow the legion along with carts filled with other foods. That becomes impossible with long distances.

Whenever the opportunity arose they looted and took whatever they wanted..

To be clear it wasnt only the romans that lived like this...all armies had to eat and do whatever it took to feed them

Indeed. A culture has only the army it can afford.

Endless War is one more luxury made possible by CAPITALISM. Amazing how those who reject capitalism, use its bounties to bring it down.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Common (04-19-2021),Lone Gunman (04-19-2021)

Games People Play Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Long time ago I read how the romans made concrete, which actually wasnt concrete as we know it. It was a mixture of crushed volcanic rock and powder with sand and a natural binding agent. Unlike our concrete that starts to breakdown after 25 yrs if mixed right...The romans concrete lasted 3-6 yrs before it broke down. Still it was amazingly innovative for the time...but lets not forget the Sphinxs

I believe no matter what period of time going back to the beginning whatever or whenever it was, the world had humans that were exceptional and creative and inventive.

Fast-Fail fake concrete, is one more new invention.

Just fifty years ago, concrete lasted. It was only in the mid-1980s that a NON-reinforced bridge over a small river west of Cleveland...a bridge that carried a major street and artery to the western suburbs...it went up in the teens and was condemned in 1980.

Why? Road salt, which of course was unheard of when the bridge was constructed. But keep in mind, this was UN-reinforced concrete. No rebar. Not sure why they chose that method, but they did, and while the bridge had become a hazard, it didn't collapse. It was knocked down and the western approach was used as the basis for a unique office building.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassinThru For This Useful Post:

Common (04-19-2021)

Out and About...! Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial3 months registeredTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 58.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenvoter View Post

Who Learned from Who... Romans or Mongols...?!?
    "‘We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!".

"Freedom is Never More than One Generation from Extinction... It Must Be Fought For, Protected and Handed On...
    WWJD...?!?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BooBoo For This Useful Post:

Common (04-19-2021),Frankenvoter (04-19-2021)

V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BooBoo View Post
    Who Learned from Who... Romans or Mongols...?!?
    I call them fongools booboo

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

BooBoo (04-19-2021)

Thread Information