Thread: World Series: 2002 and 2020

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    Tampa Bay has appeared in the World Series twice, 2008 and 2020. They lost both.

Thanx. Just proves my point, nobody cares or remembers. And as long as the Rays remain in Tampa, which is spring training country for the N.Y. Yankees and home of the Steinbrenner empire, they never will be successful or remembered. MLB should have switched Miami and Tampa decades ago. Moved Miami to the AL East where the low attendance Marlins would play the Yankees; Red Sox; Toronto and Baltimore (I believe), and Tampa would play Washington, Atlanta, N.Y. Mets and Philadelphia. Neither team loses big city New York and Boston, the Rays gain Washington and Philadelphia.

Stan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StanAtStanFan For This Useful Post:

Authentic (04-17-2021)

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanAtStanFan View Post
    Problem with MLB as a whole, is the lack of action. Game is dull, slow moving, and has been expanded into so many places where it doesn't succeed.

Remember the great three-peat Oakland A's teams, and their manager Dick Williams who switched pitchers almost every other batter. That is a problem with baseball, no more Earl Weavers or Tommy Lasorda's, who understood the game, played hunches and succeeded over long periods of time managing by their wits. Most of the managers do their jobs by a textbook. Right hand pitcher goes against right hand batter, if lefty is sent to the plate, pitcher is automatically changed. Also, there are almost no true pitchers left in the league today. If your starting pitcher can get through the 5th inning, he is out of there and a fresh arm is brought in.

Long gone are the days when a pitcher went the distance, lord save us if he made it to the 7th. Give me a Koufax, Gibson, Carlton, Drysdale any game. Bob Gibson? Tim McCarver was his catcher in St.Louis and always said he AND the manager were terrified to go out on the mound and pull him. Trailing by 5-runs in the 4th in one game, they finally had to do it (one of Gibby's rare off days), so they both went to the mound and Gibson's comment was epic. He said "where the hell have you two been all day, ya should have yanked me out of here in the 2nd inning." No more colorful characters like him either. If some "punch & judy" hitter was at the plate fouling off pitch after pitch, Gibson would get angry, in his mind according to McCarver, he would think - "ya want 1st base THAT bad - here ya go" and thump him in the back with a fastball and strike out the next batter. Carlton, Koufax? Guys never even saw the hitter at the plate, all they did was play catch out there. Drysdale, they never even saw the ball wizzing past em.

MLB is comprised of two tiers. N.Y Yankees; Boston Red Sox; N.Y. Mets; Los Angeles Dodgers; San Francisco Giants; Chicago Cubs; St.Louis Cardinals; KC. Royals, Cincinnati Reds and Atlanta Braves. All the rest of the teams are mere cannon fodder for these top tier baseball cities. Not saying ya can't have fun at the game in some of the lower tier cities, Pittsburgh; White Sox; Brewers; Orioles; Indians; Angels; Marlins; Diamondback; Astros; etc., but the league always wants one of those top tier teams in the World Series, not the wild card clubs. A Colorado Rockies - Pittsburgh Pirates series isn't going to draw anybody who isn't a hard core fan.

Stan

Agreed. I was an O's fan back then and remember Earl's mantra of pitching, power and defence. Four 20 game winners one year and Tommy was a genius. MLB also never solved the "buying pennants situation" in the way the NFL did.
    But even the NFL is less exciting than it used to be.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Overall activity: 56.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanAtStanFan View Post
    Problem with MLB as a whole, is the lack of action. Game is dull, slow moving, and has been expanded into so many places where it doesn't succeed.<br>
    <br>
    Remember the great three-peat Oakland A's teams, and their manager Dick Williams who switched pitchers almost every other batter. That is a problem with baseball, no more Earl Weavers or Tommy Lasorda's, who understood the game, played hunches and succeeded over long periods of time managing by their wits. Most of the managers do their jobs by a textbook. Right hand pitcher goes against right hand batter, if lefty is sent to the plate, pitcher is automatically changed. Also, there are almost no true pitchers left in the league today. If your starting pitcher can get through the 5th inning, he is out of there and a fresh arm is brought in. <br>
    <br>
    Long gone are the days when a pitcher went the distance, lord save us if he made it to the 7th. Give me a Koufax, Gibson, Carlton, Drysdale any game. Bob Gibson? Tim McCarver was his catcher in St.Louis and always said he AND the manager were terrified to go out on the mound and pull him. Trailing by 5-runs in the 4th in one game, they finally had to do it (one of Gibby's rare off days), so they both went to the mound and Gibson's comment was epic. He said "where the hell have you two been all day, ya should have yanked me out of here in the 2nd inning." No more colorful characters like him either. If some "punch &amp; judy" hitter was at the plate fouling off pitch after pitch, Gibson would get angry, in his mind according to McCarver, he would think - "ya want 1st base THAT bad - here ya go" and thump him in the back with a fastball and strike out the next batter. Carlton, Koufax? Guys never even saw the hitter at the plate, all they did was play catch out there. Drysdale, they never even saw the ball wizzing past em. <br>
    <br>
    MLB is comprised of two tiers. N.Y Yankees; Boston Red Sox; N.Y. Mets; Los Angeles Dodgers; San Francisco Giants; Chicago Cubs; St.Louis Cardinals; KC. Royals, Cincinnati Reds and Atlanta Braves. All the rest of the teams are mere cannon fodder for these top tier baseball cities. Not saying ya can't have fun at the game in some of the lower tier cities, Pittsburgh; White Sox; Brewers; Orioles; Indians; Angels; Marlins; Diamondback; Astros; etc., but the league always wants one of those top tier teams in the World Series, not the wild card clubs. A Colorado Rockies - Pittsburgh Pirates series isn't going to draw anybody who isn't a hard core fan. <br>
    <br>
    Stan
    Last edited by donttread; 04-18-2021 at 07:48 AM.

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Agreed. I was an O's fan back then and remember Earl's mantra of pitching, power and defence. Four 20 game winners one year and Tommy was a genius. MLB also never solved the "buying pennants situation" in the way the NFL did.
    But even the NFL is less exciting than it used to be.

Weaver also had to contend with the pitching skills (spectacular) plus the baseball managerial skills of Jim Palmer, who was just as good as Earl was during a game. The two either complimented each other, or offset each other every game - but the Orioles? They had a great run with Weaver, and I happen to think that Oriole Park at Camden Yards is the most beautiful baseball stadium ever built. On the bench, Palmer used to call Weaver's next move before Earl even thought about it, that was how good his baseball skills were, while on the mound, nobody ever told Palmer how to pitch. I think they went up against the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1966, defending champions after beating the Twins a year earlier, and got swept, 0-4, and set a World Series record of scoreless innings in that series. The Orioles sent four 20-game winners up against the weak hitting Dodger lineup and it was an easy sweep.

Stan
    Last edited by StanAtStanFan; 04-18-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Thread Information