Thread: NCAA Tournament

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    I didn't realize this forum was occupied by so many dweebs.

I like the annual March Madness NCAA Tournament. About the only sport other than the NBA's Miami Heat that I pay attention to.

Particularly like that fact there are several of my favorite teams in the tournament.\\

Norfolk State (Norfolk, Va), first appearance, won their opener.

St.Bonaventure, my favorite college basketball team, is back in the tourney for the sixth time.

Syracuse, seems like an automatic selection every year - they are about 100-miles north of St.Bonnies, and my second favorite college team.

I see Loyola's Ramblers from Chicago are back in the tournament. Seems like a long time since they appeared - they are the club which stopped the Cincinnati Bearcats from winning three straight national titles with a 60-58 win over Cincy decades ago. Nice to see they are still playing ball.

Both Florida State and Florida are in the tournament so the Sunshine State is well represented.

Drake and Wichita State back in the tournament, both ex members of the old Missouri Valley Conference who haven't appeared in awhile.

The thing I do like about the tournament is the fact there always is some Cinderella club that rises up and knocks off a Kansas or Michigan in the tournament They usually don't go far (although University North Carolina Charlotte (UNCC) went to the Final Four about a decade ago, came out of nowhere.

Florida State has been to the Final Four and lost. St.Bonaventure has been to the Final Four and lost (although their loss to Jacksonville, with two seven foot players, held on for an 81-73 win over the Bonnies who were missing Bob Lanier, injured in the East Regional Final against Villanova. Against Jacks, St.Bona's tallest player was 6-6 that night.

I have always admired and respected Jim Boeheim up at Syracuse with his Chinese zone defenses. But, when the University of Miami, who had been recruited for a decade to leave the Big East and join the ACC, decided to go, they wanted to join with another private institution. So their sports director actually called up Syracuse and TOLD them they were moving to the ACC from the Big East. Boeheim came out the next day, and said, he didn't think that the Syracuse fans would accept the loss of teams like Providence; Villanova; Temple; LaSalle; St.Josephs; Duquesne and others for the likes of North Carolina; Duke; Maryland; Wake Forest, etc. Hell, Syracuse has a 55,000 seat football-basketball arena - anybody think they couldn't fill it against the ACC talent? Syracuse bailed - and Boston College took their place.

BTW, another once-solid basketball program, Maryland Terrapins (Turtles - great sports moniker "Fear The Turtle"), left the ACC for the Big Ten. A 27,000 student body school going up against Penn State, 104,000; Ohio State, 101,000; Michigan State (100,000); Michigan (109,000), did it for money, they have had zero success sports wise in the Big Ten - while they were a power in the ACC. Dumb move.

Anybody, bring on the games.

Stan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StanAtStanFan For This Useful Post:

East of the Beast (03-19-2021)

Incapable of thinking V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class3 months registeredOverdrive
    Awards:
    King of Publishing
    Overall activity: 99.7%

Thanks
    Charlotte went to Final Four in 1977.
    What if he was a lesbian outlaw, half Ellen Degenerate and half Antifa?

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 86.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanAtStanFan View Post
    I like the annual March Madness NCAA Tournament. About the only sport other than the NBA's Miami Heat that I pay attention to.

Particularly like that fact there are several of my favorite teams in the tournament.\\

Norfolk State (Norfolk, Va), first appearance, won their opener.

St.Bonaventure, my favorite college basketball team, is back in the tourney for the sixth time.

Syracuse, seems like an automatic selection every year - they are about 100-miles north of St.Bonnies, and my second favorite college team.

I see Loyola's Ramblers from Chicago are back in the tournament. Seems like a long time since they appeared - they are the club which stopped the Cincinnati Bearcats from winning three straight national titles with a 60-58 win over Cincy decades ago. Nice to see they are still playing ball.

Both Florida State and Florida are in the tournament so the Sunshine State is well represented.

Drake and Wichita State back in the tournament, both ex members of the old Missouri Valley Conference who haven't appeared in awhile.

The thing I do like about the tournament is the fact there always is some Cinderella club that rises up and knocks off a Kansas or Michigan in the tournament They usually don't go far (although University North Carolina Charlotte (UNCC) went to the Final Four about a decade ago, came out of nowhere.

Florida State has been to the Final Four and lost. St.Bonaventure has been to the Final Four and lost (although their loss to Jacksonville, with two seven foot players, held on for an 81-73 win over the Bonnies who were missing Bob Lanier, injured in the East Regional Final against Villanova. Against Jacks, St.Bona's tallest player was 6-6 that night.

I have always admired and respected Jim Boeheim up at Syracuse with his Chinese zone defenses. But, when the University of Miami, who had been recruited for a decade to leave the Big East and join the ACC, decided to go, they wanted to join with another private institution. So their sports director actually called up Syracuse and TOLD them they were moving to the ACC from the Big East. Boeheim came out the next day, and said, he didn't think that the Syracuse fans would accept the loss of teams like Providence; Villanova; Temple; LaSalle; St.Josephs; Duquesne and others for the likes of North Carolina; Duke; Maryland; Wake Forest, etc. Hell, Syracuse has a 55,000 seat football-basketball arena - anybody think they couldn't fill it against the ACC talent? Syracuse bailed - and Boston College took their place.

BTW, another once-solid basketball program, Maryland Terrapins (Turtles - great sports moniker "Fear The Turtle"), left the ACC for the Big Ten. A 27,000 student body school going up against Penn State, 104,000; Ohio State, 101,000; Michigan State (100,000); Michigan (109,000), did it for money, they have had zero success sports wise in the Big Ten - while they were a power in the ACC. Dumb move.

Anybody, bring on the games.

Stan
    I take that back......
    C'mon,man.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialYour first Group1 year registeredRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 62.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameHeart View Post
    ORU is my school. They won against Ohio State 75-72.

GO EAGLES!!
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
    Scientist, Evangelical Christian - reformed, father, entrepreneur, hunter, outdoorsman, motorcyclist, Constitutional Conservative.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Physics Hunter For This Useful Post:

FlameHeart (03-21-2021)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    Charlotte went to Final Four in 1977.

Yea, been a long time, but then again, my interest in college basketball was formed in the 8th grade, and through HS, when our school won back-to-back Sectional titles. I was too short to actually play the game, but was the team student manager. Coach's reward was to bus us all up to Buffalo's Memorial Aud to watch a double-header. St.Bonaventure, featuring Freddie Crawford and going to the NIT, beat Providence, featuring John Thompson, in overtime 79-75. The Friars were locked into the NCAA tournament then when Bona upset them. Buffalo's Canisius College then buried Detroit, the highest scoring team in the nation at the time in the second game, and my interest in college ball was immediate and long lasting.

Stan
    Last edited by StanAtStanFan; 03-20-2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: History

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StanAtStanFan For This Useful Post:

Authentic (03-20-2021)

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    Is Boston College in the tournament? I want to see some point shaving for the mob.
    Last edited by Authentic; 03-20-2021 at 12:48 AM.

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Is Boston College in the tournament? I want to see some point shaving for the mob.

If I remember my history correctly, Boston isn't really a mob controlled city, the Irish have always had the upper hand there.
    The Italian Mafia in the region had an iron grip on Providence, R.I.

Boston College is a great school, produced AOC as an Economics major, so I assume she can manipulate points well. She is wacko on just about everything else in bubble her world.

Stan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StanAtStanFan For This Useful Post:

Authentic (03-20-2021)

Awards:
    King of Publishing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanAtStanFan View Post
    If I remember my history correctly, Boston isn't really a mob controlled city, the Irish have always had the upper hand there.
    The Italian Mafia in the region had an iron grip on Providence, R.I.

Boston College is a great school, produced AOC as an Economics major, so I assume she can manipulate points well. She is wacko on just about everything else in bubble her world.

Stan
    Boston had both both Irish gangs and La Costa Nostra, but it is true that the Irish were in control.

There was a point shaving scheme in the late 1970s involving players on the Boston College team and Mafia members and associates from New York.

AOC went to Boston University. If I were Boston College, I would be mad at the confusion she has caused, but that isn't politically correct.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Authentic For This Useful Post:

StanAtStanFan (03-20-2021)

V.I.P. Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:

Thanks
    Boston had both both Irish gangs and La Costa Nostra, but it is true that the Irish were in control.

There was a point shaving scheme in the late 1970s involving players on the Boston College team and Mafia members and associates from New York.

AOC went to Boston University. If I were Boston College, I would be mad at the confusion she has caused, but that isn't politically correct.

Although it has great history, I have never been a fan of Boston, probably because of a dislike of their sports teams - Celtics; Patriots; Red Sox and Bruins, the latter about the only one of interest to me. Sabres fan, Buffalo-Boston always an ugly rivalry in sports.

But, one has to respect the universities in Boston and Cambridge. Boston University and Boston College great schools, Northeastern also, and of course, Harvard and MIT. As Pennsylvania is known for its crumbling roads, Boston is well known to have probably the worst drivers in America. Turn right on red after stop is common in most cities - not an easy concept to understand, but turn LEFT on red after stop - NOOOOOO......I avoid Massachusetts drivers down here in Florida, which isn't known for good drivers either, and we are petrified of those Boston ones.

Plus - you get a Boston driver on the same road as a Quebec driver, and Miami is a huge tourist destination for both, guaranteed the two will slam into each other.

Stan
    Last edited by StanAtStanFan; 03-20-2021 at 08:46 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StanAtStanFan For This Useful Post:

Authentic (03-20-2021)

Alumni Member Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by East of the Beast View Post
    College basketball is about 60/40 black to white
    thats racist..blacks only make up at most 14% of the population, they should not be more than 14% anywhere.

more affirmative action run amok...
    "The nose, knows"
    #walkaway

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

Authentic (03-20-2021)

Thread Information