User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Crown

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Split between Wakefield,England and Alicante,Spain
    Thanks
    Honest.I'm truly intrigued by the feelings of some Americans towards the British Empire as was.It's not like it was the only empire that ever existed throughout world history.In fact you've had a bit of a go at creating your own.Most European countries have had their own empires or at least some overseas posssessions so were they satisfactory in some way.They were all established in similar fashion,sort of "We come in peace.Shoot to kill,Jim."A large part of the immigration into the fledgling US was from citizens of those countries mostly looking for a better life.As they trekked west they came into conflict with the Native Americans and destroyed their culture in what an earlier correspondant described as "simply a land grab."That's an understatement if ever I heard one.
    Similarly you are reaping what you sowed in your own version of apartheid as displayed by current events.On this side of the pond we have been dragged into it too because although our black immigration didn't really start until the 1950s(Thanks,Adolf)our black rights and BLM protestors have assumed North American blacks' history of abuses have taken place in the UK.That is absolutely not true.Whatever else these people say the UK is a very tolerant country.
    So to sum up I would say that you and us,like everyone else ,are broadly similar.None of us are as pure as the driven snow.

Mod Team Leader Forum Donor
    V.I.P
    TPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteranYour first Group
    Overall activity: 25.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Wheeler View Post
    Honest.I'm truly intrigued by the feelings of some Americans towards the British Empire as was.It's not like it was the only empire that ever existed throughout world history.In fact you've had a bit of a go at creating your own.Most European countries have had their own empires or at least some overseas posssessions so were they satisfactory in some way.They were all established in similar fashion,sort of "We come in peace.Shoot to kill,Jim."A large part of the immigration into the fledgling US was from citizens of those countries mostly looking for a better life.As they trekked west they came into conflict with the Native Americans and destroyed their culture in what an earlier correspondant described as "simply a land grab."That's an understatement if ever I heard one.
    Similarly you are reaping what you sowed in your own version of apartheid as displayed by current events.On this side of the pond we have been dragged into it too because although our black immigration didn't really start until the 1950s(Thanks,Adolf)our black rights and BLM protestors have assumed North American blacks' history of abuses have taken place in the UK.That is absolutely not true.Whatever else these people say the UK is a very tolerant country.
    So to sum up I would say that you and us,like everyone else ,are broadly similar.None of us are as pure as the driven snow.
    How long has England/UK been England/UK?

How long has the United States of America, been the United States of America?

How long did it take these respective lands masses of people and governments...to correct slavery, then laws regarding slavery and racism, then work on the citizenry to enforce those laws regarding racism?

Empires is another matter, that perhaps could be put in perspective. Define empires and then define conquest...and then a comparison could be drawn up between England/UK and the United States of America.

I think I had it clocked in regarding America on something I used to write about - at about 83/84 years for America to deal with slavery. 1776 = The United States of America (ratified 1784 or some such date) and the American Civil War (of which slavery issues were no small part) 1861.

Historically, by comparison to other nations - they have been remarkable and praiseworthy, in my opinion anyways.
    Rule 24) Youtubes (political videos) are not allowed as political OP's or any OP's unless there is significant comment or explanation abutting them so they're obviously an adjunct to the discussion - not the topic of the discussion. A political OP cannot lead w a youtube. No exceptions. This WILL be enforced.

Thread Information