User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Crown

V.I.P. Forum Donor Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOnly2 View Post
    England is a pissant nation now that has no real power. USA has far more influence over Australia than ..... we are calling the British Royal family 'The Crown' now? I don't think I will - and who in Gods name is watching that trash show on TV? Why do people care about what the royals do? I don't understand it. You Americans are so lucky that you don't have to hear about everything Prince Harry does. Anyway - US far more influence. Governor General doesn't do anything really. If you look into it it was actually the CIA that had Whitlam removed not the Queen. And many believe that the CIA murdered Harold Holt. I say good on them. ASIO only exists to shine the CIAs boots really. England has very little Influence these days. This is why I am against Australia becoming a Republic - its a waste of money. England doesn't care what we do. We may as well just stay in Commonwealth. Why waste the money?

I don't consider England to be a pissant country, not as long as it has a Navy and nuclear weapons, and remains a friend of the U.S.

One has to respect Elizabeth II, on the throne of England since 1951, that is an amazing feat of political accomplishment. Hell - Charles may pass away before she does. One should also note that the British Commonwealth of Nations, of which she is the titular leader of, has gained many more members since World War II, then it had prior to 1939.

What I dislike about England is her past military rule as the British Empire. Particularly her treatment of tiny Ireland, a nation whose culture they actually tried to lobotomize and South Africa, where they engineered a pure money grab for the Transvaal where the Kimberly Diamond mines are located. Cecil Rhodes (the ultimate British imperialist), of Rhodes Scholar fame, Rhodesia was named after him, the Brits went after the tough Dutch Boer farmers in 1899-1901, a population that had been established and farming in South Africa and Natal for over 300-years. Another tiny country the Brits went after for monetary purposes, King, Queen and Country. That war saw the British institute summary executions of POW's without trial; a scorched-earth policy of their lands, farms and buildings, and concentration camps for her women and children. The Boer War found the British Army up against the first white, heavily armed military in her march to Empire, and it took a massive infusion of British troops to quell the Dutch Boers.

Australia and New Zealand are sort of strange ducks of nations. The British Fleet protected them throughout most of their history, until the start of World War II, when America took on that role. My father, a World War II Marine, always spoke highly of the New Zealand Kiwi's, and his R&R station during the island hopping battles of the Third Marines, in Auckland. The Pacific theater was an American Naval and combat Army-Marine war.

The Aussies are amusing and sort of odd-duck people when it comes to their relationship with England. They are more like America than English. The fact that they happen to have fought with America in every modern war we got ourselves into endears them to us, they are a solid ally in the Orient, with China and North Korean influence and danger always poised. Add that into the fact they happen to be the world's greatest alcohol drinkers, champions of the world at that, ya gotta like em, right Mate?

Canada has some oddities that America doesn't have. Universal health insurance for one, but essentially, it is hard to tell the difference between the two nations. The majority of their population lives within 100-miles of the U.S. border. Regarding guns, and gun violence, England and Canada do not have a reputation for that type of violence. You automatically become about 95% safer from criminal activity once you cross the Peace Bridge to Canada in Buffalo, or the tunnel to Windsor in Detroit. Generally they are considered politically our poor cousins, but they have been a staunch ally throughout most of America's modern history. Their troops fought in all our modern wars on our side. Their troops made the first test assault on Normandy to test the Nazi defenses and got slaughtered.

We share the world's longest, peaceful border with them, and even participate in sports (Canada and America have hosted the Olympic Games several times), plus the National Hockey League operates in America and Canada easily. I personally like Toronto (was brought up south of Buffalo, N.Y., 90-miles from Toronto) and like Montreal and Quebec City. Never been there but hear Vancouver is a beautiful city also. Canada is a friend, they do have a strange French-type habit of going their own way occasionally on foreign affairs, but it was Canada who recused a bunch of our hostages held in the Iranian Embassy during that crisis during the Carter Administration. I remember newspaper headlines at the time blazoned with "Thank You Canada" and they were well deserved. They might bitch and moan like the middle child, but will always follow America in most things and the number of entertainment and sports personalities that come to us from Canada? A general credit, if one excludes Justin Beiber.

As I wrote, don't like the British Empire's history. Although we fought and won two wars with them, it was the British Naval fleet that screened America for about 100-years of its political and military power that protected America and allowed us to conquer and control an entire virgin continent and develop into the great nation we are today. For that, America is thankful, although we don't say it often, and of course, their laws are the basis for many of America's Bill of Rights and Constitution. America likes England - the Queen and the Royal Family? Wally World Europe, but that doesn't stop our citizens from making London a preferred tourist stop, and a place to spend our dollars. We are treated very well in England, France? A different story.

Stan
    Last edited by StanAtStanFan; 02-28-2021 at 05:45 PM. Reason: History

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StanAtStanFan For This Useful Post:

TheOneOnly2 (02-28-2021)

V.I.P. Forum Donor Achievements:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
    What about Molson?

That is a Canadian beer, Molson Blue contains something like 12-18% higher alcohol content than American offerings.

Stan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StanAtStanFan For This Useful Post:

Authentic (03-01-2021)

Cognitive Dissident Achievements:

Thanks
    *Ahem*

Labatt's Blue

that was my go-to brew of choice... back when I went there.
    Last edited by El Guapo; 02-28-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    LIBERTAD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to El Guapo For This Useful Post:

StanAtStanFan (02-28-2021)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanAtStanFan View Post
    I don't consider England to be a pissant country, not as long as it has a Navy and nuclear weapons, and remains a friend of the U.S.

One has to respect Elizabeth II, on the throne of England since 1951, that is an amazing feat of political accomplishment. Hell - Charles may pass away before she does. One should also note that the British Commonwealth of Nations, of which she is the titular leader of, has gained many more members since World War II, then it had prior to 1939.

What I dislike about England is her past military rule as the British Empire. Particularly her treatment of tiny Ireland, a nation whose culture they actually tried to lobotomize and South Africa, where they engineered a pure money grab for the Transvaal where the Kimberly Diamond mines are located. Cecil Rhodes (the ultimate British imperialist), of Rhodes Scholar fame, Rhodesia was named after him, the Brits went after the tough Dutch Boer farmers in 1899-1901, a population that had been established and farming in South Africa and Natal for over 300-years. Another tiny country the Brits went after for monetary purposes, King, Queen and Country. That war saw the British institute summary executions of POW's without trial; a scorched-earth policy of their lands, farms and buildings, and concentration camps for her women and children. The Boer War found the British Army up against the first white, heavily armed military in her march to Empire, and it took a massive infusion of British troops to quell the Dutch Boers.

Australia and New Zealand are sort of strange ducks of nations. The British Fleet protected them throughout most of their history, until the start of World War II, when America took on that role. My father, a World War II Marine, always spoke highly of the New Zealand Kiwi's, and his R&R station during the island hopping battles of the Third Marines, in Auckland. The Pacific theater was an American Naval and combat Army-Marine war.

The Aussies are amusing and sort of odd-duck people when it comes to their relationship with England. They are more like America than English. The fact that they happen to have fought with America in every modern war we got ourselves into endears them to us, they are a solid ally in the Orient, with China and North Korean influence and danger always poised. Add that into the fact they happen to be the world's greatest alcohol drinkers, champions of the world at that, ya gotta like em, right Mate?

Canada has some oddities that America doesn't have. Universal health insurance for one, but essentially, it is hard to tell the difference between the two nations. The majority of their population lives within 100-miles of the U.S. border. Regarding guns, and gun violence, England and Canada do not have a reputation for that type of violence. You automatically become about 95% safer from criminal activity once you cross the Peace Bridge to Canada in Buffalo, or the tunnel to Windsor in Detroit. Generally they are considered politically our poor cousins, but they have been a staunch ally throughout most of America's modern history. Their troops fought in all our modern wars on our side. Their troops made the first test assault on Normandy to test the Nazi defenses and got slaughtered.

We share the world's longest, peaceful border with them, and even participate in sports (Canada and America have hosted the Olympic Games several times), plus the National Hockey League operates in America and Canada easily. I personally like Toronto (was brought up south of Buffalo, N.Y., 90-miles from Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City. Never been there but hear Vancouver is a beautiful city also. Canada is a friend, they do have a strange French-type habit of going their own way occasionally on foreign affairs, but it was Canada who recused a bunch of our hostages held in the Iranian Embassy during that crisis during the Carter Administration. I remember newspaper headlines at the time blazoned with "Thank You Canada" and they were well deserved. They might bitch and moan like the middle child, but will always follow America in most things and the number of entertainment and sports personalities that come to us from Canada? A general credit, if one excludes Justin Beiber.

As I wrote, don't like the British Empire's history. Although we fought and won two wars with them, it was the British Naval fleet that screened America for about 100-years of its political and military power that protected America and allowed us to conquer and control an entire virgin continent and develop into the great nation we are today. For that, America is thankful, although we don't say it often, and of course, their laws are the basis for many of America's Bill of Rights and Constitution. America likes England - the Queen and the Royal Family? Wally World Europe, but that doesn't stop our citizens from making London a preferred tourist stop, and a place to spend our dollars. We are treated very well in England, France? A different story.

Stan
    I kind of like the Queen. I saw her at Dubbo zoo as a kid when she was visiting you know. Ha. But yeah she doesnt bother me. I kind of like Wills too. He seems alright. Its Harry that I dislike. He is such an attention whore. I feel kind of sorry for the Royals really - they are servants of sorts. William and Harry's friends wouldn't have to deal with the crap that those two do - and they would all be just as wealthy if not more so. I think that being a royal would be a lot like that movie King Ralph. I have pity for them. Remember when Wills and Harry had to fill sandbags when it flooded? Ha. Peers would have much nicer and easier lives.

All I know about Canada is what I have learned from Degrassi High. They are basically like Americas version of what New Zealand is to us Australians.

And I don't really drink alcohol.

But yeah I agree with most of what you are saying. British stock nations are all pretty good friends and should be. A bit of jest between us doesn't hurt.

Edit - I'm a bit of an imperialist though. The way I see it all nations should follow the leader state - or be forced to. But yeah - leader nation should be ..... sportsmanlike about it. If possible.
    Last edited by TheOneOnly2; 02-28-2021 at 05:57 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheOneOnly2 For This Useful Post:

StanAtStanFan (02-28-2021),WVYankee (03-04-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Thanks
    I don't usually intentionally disrespect the customs or history of other nations but with examples like Andrew and Harry and his wench, they are begging for disrespect. Almost as bad as slow Joe and his HO.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Esdraelon For This Useful Post:

Rebel Yell (03-01-2021)

Banned Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassOverdriveSocialVeteran

Thanks
    Crown Burgers in Salt Lake City.

Northern Rivers
    Victoria gave representation to Australia...with a Governor General, thanks to the Eureka Stockade. She was smart enough to "put the fire out" and not see another "United States".

When the referendum was on about becoming a Republic...I voted NO...because...it was only a name change...The People still could not vote for President.

Belonging to The Commonwealth is pretty much the only real benefit to remaining Subject to The Crown.

Last edited by Northern Rivers; 03-01-2021 at 12:04 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Northern Rivers For This Useful Post:

WVYankee (03-04-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Overall activity: 70.0%

Oaxaca, Mexico, for over twenty years. Born and raised in Memphis, TN, and worked in Colorado.
    Thanks
    My dearest friend ever was English till the day she died. She was furious when she was forced to get an E.U. passport. She went through the Blitz in London. She was tiny and strong and crawled through tunnels in wrecked buildings looking for survivors. She told me about the day she came out of a tunnel and everyone was looking at the King and Queen. She said, "Patrick, that's when I knew we were all in it together."

England might be better off if it were still run by royalty. The left has ruined the country but another country's choice of governments doesn't concern me. America's does.

Alumni Member Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Overall activity: 41.0%

Thanks
    Personally, I would like to know the feelings of British citizens towards Prince Harry and his American bride....?
    Al Swearengen: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
    Sol Star: He's not mad.
    Al Swearengen: He's got a mean way of being happy.

Games People Play Forum Donor Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Thanks
    I don't think my opinion on the Royals, matters. I think they and the concept are a throwback; are an anachronism and dysfunctional to both appearances and function. That said, I'm not in an affected nation - so my opinion is free and worth just that.

Quote Originally Posted by StanAtStanFan View Post
    Canada has some oddities that America doesn't have. Universal health insurance for one, but essentially, it is hard to tell the difference between the two nations.
    Quite easy, actually. Citizens versus subjects. I can sum it all up this way: The dollar coin.

Introduced on both sides of the border at the same time. Received the same way - with derision. Nobody wanted it.

The Treasury stopped minting them, and continued with the dollar bill. The Royal Canadian Mint continued to mint them, recalled the dollar-notes, and then, doubling down, came up with the $2 coin.

They did not CARE what the subjects felt about the new money - it's what you have, deal with it, eh?

"Universal" healthcare. Having spent a LOT of time in Canada, prior to their reclassifying me as a criminal, all about nothing...I have talked to many locals. Once in Calgary, 2009, I was touring Banff by motorcycle. Had some mechanical issues and went to the Suzuki agency.

The young man behind the counter was a young, athletic guy - with a painful limp. He had to make calls to get what I needed, and waiting for return calls, we got to talking. He was a motocross racer; this dealership was a sponsor; and he had a bad accident. Both ankles broken.

And misdiagnosed. And by the time he got in to a better physician, than the ER perfunctory examiner, three weeks later, both the breaks had calcified.

He was going to have both ankles surgically re-broken and pinned correctly.

In nine months.

That just floored me. In Cleveland, he could have had it done the next day; and then had his pick of malpractice attorneys on his way out of the hospital.

THAT is the difference between Canada and the States. Right to Bear Arms, versus disarmament. Right to choose medical care, versus government clinics, and the typical dysfunction.

The majority of their population lives within 100-miles of the U.S. border. Regarding guns, and gun violence, England and Canada do not have a reputation for that type of violence. You automatically become about 95% safer from criminal activity once you cross the Peace Bridge to Canada in Buffalo, or the tunnel to Windsor in Detroit. Generally they are considered politically our poor cousins, but they have been a staunch ally throughout most of America's modern history. Their troops fought in all our modern wars on our side. Their troops made the first test assault on Normandy to test the Nazi defenses and got slaughtered.
    That's no longer true. Toronto suffers now from African and Middle Eastern immigration - and Wokesterism. They have had riots, Antifa, Ray-Sissm accusation, and feces on the sidewalk up there, too. I've seen Canadian news reports out of Toronto - I recognize the locales but not the filth and chaos and closed businesses.

We share the world's longest, peaceful border with them, and even participate in sports (Canada and America have hosted the Olympic Games several times), plus the National Hockey League operates in America and Canada easily. I personally like Toronto (was brought up south of Buffalo, N.Y., 90-miles from Toronto) and like Montreal and Quebec City. Never been there but hear Vancouver is a beautiful city also. Canada is a friend, they do have a strange French-type habit of going their own way occasionally on foreign affairs, but it was Canada who recused a bunch of our hostages held in the Iranian Embassy during that crisis during the Carter Administration. I remember newspaper headlines at the time blazoned with "Thank You Canada" and they were well deserved. They might bitch and moan like the middle child, but will always follow America in most things and the number of entertainment and sports personalities that come to us from Canada? A general credit, if one excludes Justin Beiber.
    True of the people. NOT of the government, not now.

Justin True-D'oh is like AOC, only more stupid. And he thinks he's regal; and given how he keeps on getting re-elected, he may well be right.

It's only a matter of time until that border is fortified - probably by the Canadians, since we seem to want to be invaded. One thing Canada has NOT done is go with the insanity of Open Borders.

Stan

We share a language; a history; a traditional set of values; that is how it is we get along. This should be NOTED whenever we're accused of being Intolerant for not supporting female genital mutilation, or child marriage, or sister marriage, or polygamy, or whatever other depravity the Third World immigrants want to bring in, here.

Without common values, there is no community. We can be comfortable with the English or Australians or Canadians in our midst. Not so much with Sunni Moslems. Or Communist Chinese.

But it's an obvious reality that is being rejected, now.

Thread Information