User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I forgot I had an account here

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    Oh, sorry. Thanks, Captain Kirk. Heh heh.

Alright, I'm bailing on the thread, sorry for shooting the regular breeze in this section.
    Last edited by Natty C; 02-13-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Senior Member V.I.P Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class
    Overall activity: 68.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty C View Post
    Ainobody gonno time fo dat. I'm trying to figure out why the left side headlight motor isn't working on the vette. I took the whole headlight assembly off and brought it inside, so I'm screwing around with that.

Gonna be pee ohd if I have t oblow a few hundred Federal Reserve Notes for a new one. It's looking like it, because I can't see anything wrong with it and I broke the whole motor down.

I cleaned the points off so maybe that'll get it spinning.

I dunno though, because it's a constant so all that happens is that polarity is reversed to spin em open and closed.

They both flip closed when I turn the lights off but only the right side pops open by otself when I turn em on.
    A bad ground is almost always the problem with older cars, So I would ensure I knew where it was grounded and run a wire jumping that point to the batter negative. Then see if it works.

It must be spring shut, that is why it goes closed. Something causes it to stay open like a limit switch turning off the motor. I seriously doubt that the motor runs all the time. If not spring shut and the motor drives it shut then there has to be limit switches controlling which way the motor runs. The one that must be bad is the limit switch that is made when open.

I assume that the door opens latching with a solenoid and a contact turning off the motor. Maybe the contact that allows the motor to run and to open the headlight door, is bad and since you found the motor to work I think that is where I would look.

Or I am totally FOS because I have never really worked on one of these and am only offering my 2 cents. It's what I do.

OR, do an Internet search, there are videos that show you how to adjust the doors.
    Last edited by Freewill; 02-13-2021 at 09:06 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freewill For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga (02-15-2021)

Alumni Member V.I.P Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entryVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Overall activity: 99.4%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty C View Post
    Yeah, it does work both ways when I give it 12 volts.

So definitely a stupid electrical quirk some place betwen the control module and the pigtail connector to the motor. At least now I know it's not the motor itself. I'm gonna swap out the pigtail to the motor tomorrow and see if that might be the problem. I hope it is. Thanks, mike.
    If you can unplug the circuit at both ends and check each wire for continuity with a ohm meter. Or a Hamilton Beach blender!

I had a Chevy truck that had a misfire on the left bank and it turned out to be a wire broken somewhere between the computer and the fuel injector. I wasn't about the try to find the break so I just spliced a new wire into the the circuit and it fixed it.
    Last edited by Captain Kirk!; 02-14-2021 at 07:06 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Kirk! For This Useful Post:

Natty C (02-15-2021)

Senior Member Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Overall activity: 76.0%

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk! View Post
    If you can unplug the circuit at both ends and check each wire for continuity with a ohm meter. Or a Hamilton Beach blender!

I had a Chevy truck that had a misfire on the left bank and it turned out to be a wire broken somewhere between the computer and the fuel injector. I wasn't about the try to find the break so I just spliced a new wire into the the circuit and it fixed it.
    I turned that private message notification off that popped up every time I have a response, so now I don't see when someone responds to my posts at all. Last time I was on a vBulletin board I seem to recall there would be a similar notification that you get when you get a regular pm, but it doesn't seem to be set up that way here.

Anyway, I looked at this thread again and saw your response.

I took the headlight control module apart as a last resort to find out what was going on and found the break. Which I didn't even see until I cleaned all of the flux off the thing.

150 Federal Reserve Notes for that Chinese pos, and I just bought it last year...

Last edited by Natty C; 02-15-2021 at 11:16 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natty C For This Useful Post:

Captain Kirk! (05-07-2021),Rutabaga (02-15-2021)

Thread Information